Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!

Yuli Ban posted:

And considering that the three subreddits collectively have about 1,500 subscribers, I'd say I'm probably more successful than whatever the gently caress Eripsa (who?) ever was.

1500 subs is impressive. But how many chatbots have you enlightened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

More generally speaking, I wish that people like the OP or Eripsa would just accept that they don't really have what it takes to come up with monumental political/economic/philosophical theories, and that's okay. Neither do I! It just seems like, for some people, the idea of coming up with a Big Idea is so appealing that they feel the need to keep trying.

Ytlaya, you're right to suggest that people ought to understand and accept their limitations. But you're entirely wrong to think that your limitations apply to everyone. Not everyone is as normal as you. A million abnormal monkeys banging at keyboards will eventually churn out a good idea, and even if 99.999% of them only produce garbage that's no reason to discourage any of them from banging at keys.

Since the close of the previous thread I've been developing Polytopolis for the Global Challenges Prize. Some Swedish billionaire (who appears to be frustrated with the UN) is giving out 5 million bucks to someone with an innovative model of global governance. The submissions opened today and don't close until September, and I've been taking the contest seriously. I've completed my introductory slide show, and I've been working on recording a walk through lecture of the idea. If you remember the old thread, slides 17, 20, and 22 lay out the technical implementation details.

I legit think I have a shot at this challenge. I won't be surprised if I lose, but I can smell it. I was recently contacted out of the blue by Susanne Templehof, the founder of BitNation. She actually had a submission solicited by the Global Challenges Foundation for their 2016 report. It was the only "technical" proposal in a report mostly filled with geopolitical policy. Again, they solicited from her last year, and she had no idea they'd be doing a prize this year. Just this week I had a skype call with Susanne asking if I'd want to collaborate on her entry for this year's prize, to supply the identity framework for her bitnation reputation system. I swear to loving baphomet this is not an april fools joke.

My experience with Synereo has soured me on blockchain anything, but I'm a fan of pirate party ethos, and her contacts and existing reputation make the offer quite tempting. I am still not sure what I plan to do. But I'm taking this all as indication that I'm within shouting distance of that prize. I don't think I'm stupid for believing I have a real shot, and putting absurd amounts of effort into that belief. Most monkeys produce garbage, but every single success was also produced by a dedicated monkey, banging at the keys. And hindsight is the only way to definitively tell the two apart.

So Yuli Ban. I'm down with Fully Automated Luxury Queer Space Anarcho-Collectivism (aka FALKSAC). I've been thinking this poo poo out for over a decade, with the reg date and track record of public failures to prove it. I don't have 1500 subs, but the activist tech community and the anarcho-left know who I am, and I'm in the middle of building a legit digital governing framework. You want to talk? Let's talk.

Eripsa fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 1, 2017

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Yuli Ban posted:

Would you accept a moderator post on these subreddits?

I don't need a special title. I submitted my FALQSAC essay to the Technism thread, and I'm happy to engage whomstever bites.

I wonder if you might comment on your views concerning the role of blockchain-like decentralized technologies play in a technocracy on your view? Nearly everyone who isn't a legitimate technocrat is attempting to become one by using blockchain-based services. How keen are you on jumping on that boat?

VV This is good advice, and to be clear it is not my intention to make this thread about me and my timecube. I mostly just appreciate the contrast between the hobbyist Ideas Guy and a pro like myself.

Eripsa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread