Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After 700+ episodes between Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden, the Naruto series is finally over. But rather than end it here, they're continuing the series with a spinoff, featuring Naruto's son, Bolt Boruto, and his ninja team, lead by Konohamaru.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWVScgN5VQ

This show will be simulcast on Hulu and Crunchyroll.

Main characters for the show:

Boruto Uzumaki

Naruto's oldest child. Like Naruto, is a prankster. After Naruto becomes Hokage, Boruto is upset that he's never around to be a father anymore. He ends up taking an interest in Sasuke's ninja life over his dad.

Sarada Uchiha

Child of Sasuke and KarinSakura. Suffers fatherhood abandonment issues because Sasuke is never home, doing secret missions. Becomes drawn to Naruto, and inspires to become Hokage herself. Has her sharigan activated. Glasses are a gift from Karin (who helped deliver her).

Mitsuki

Orochimaru's synthetic child. Born in a lab, he escapes and immigrates to Konoha. Befriends Boruto and has his own ninja way. Becomes the medic ninja for team Konohamaru.

Should I watch Shippuden before watching this?

Probably! It would also help to watch Naruto: The Last, and the Boruto movies, as those are considered official canon. Shippuden has 500 episodes, but about 40% of that is filler. Follow a filler guide to help you out: http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto-shippuden

I would highly advise skipping the filler as it's

1) Usually not good. The story feels disjointed, and the characters introduced in filler never come back.
2) It really messes with story flow. If you skip the filler, the regular story meshes a lot better.

If you want, you can always go back and watch the filler. The 3-tailed beast saga was good, and apparently Kakashi's ANBU story is good too.

What happened with the major characters?

A quick rundown:

Naruto: Saves the world alongside Sasuke. Loses his arm in an aftermath fight against Sasuke, but is gifted a new arm from Tsunade and her medical team. Marries Hinata after they travel to the moon together, and has 2 kids. Achieves his dream and becomes the 7th Hokage.

Sasuke: Redeems himself by saving the world with Naruto. Gets pardoned for his various war crimes by Kakashi, and decides to go into exile to atone for his sins. Also lost an arm in his fight against Naruto, but doesn't opt for a new arm because he doesn't think he deserves one due to his crimes against humanity, or something. He takes Sakura along for a trip where they get hitched, and have a kid.

Kakashi: Loses his sharigan eye in the 4th war, but Naruto with his super abilities gives him a new eye (no special abilities). Becomes the 6th Hokage after Tsunade retires. Eventually steps aside for Naruto.

Sakura: Helps Naruto & Sasuke win the war. Still loves Sasuke and has a kid with him. With Sasuke gone, it's up to her alone to raise Sarada, which turns out to be difficult for her.

Hinata: Naruto Senpai finally notices her. Knits him a scarf and they fell in love.

Shikamaru: After losing his dad in the war, he becomes an advisor to the Hokage's office. Has his own cool story arc. Falls in love with Temari (Gaara's sister) and marries her. Has a child named Shikadai that's Boruto's age.

Ino: Also loses her dad in the war. After rescuing Sai in Shikamaru's story arc, they date, get married and have a kid named Inojin.

Choji: Marries Karui from the land of lightning, and has a daughter named Chocho.

Kiba: Falls in love with a crazy cat lady. Has no kids, but many cats and dogs together.

Shino: Becomes a teacher at the academy. No love interest for him!

Neji: :rip: died saving Naruto in the war.

Rock Lee: Becomes proctor of the Chuunin exams. Has a child named Metal Lee. Who's the mom? :iiam:

Tenten: Kishimoto forgot about Tenten's existence. I almost did, too.

When does this show start?
First episode airs April 5. As mentioned, it'll be simulcast on both Hulu and Crunchyroll.

Will this show be any good?

Who knows! Apparently it will be more lighthearted than Shippuden. Hopefully it won't be the series' DBGT!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
should mention kishimoto is only involved in an advisory role, the artist and writer are someone else

it seems really weird to me that orochimaru got a redemption arc and that it thematically continues with his spawn

given the monthly release schedule for the comic (and 10 chapters), this should be more fillerific than naruto sounds like it was

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't have much interest in Naruto but Boruto is the best name I've ever heard for an anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Relin posted:

should mention kishimoto is only involved in an advisory role, the artist and writer are someone else

it seems really weird to me that orochimaru got a redemption arc and that it thematically continues with his spawn

given the monthly release schedule for the comic (and 10 chapters), this should be more fillerific than naruto sounds like it was

Apparently this is going to be completly seperate from the manga and will instead be following its own story (which makes sense given the manga's current release schedule and the fact that the first 9 chapters are just an adaption of the Boruto movie only with worse artwork).

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't have much interest in Naruto but Boruto is the best name I've ever heard for an anime.

Technically Boruto and Sarada are just the Japanese pronunciations of their actual names (Bolt and Salad). Most translators just seem to leave them as is though (plus spelling them that way also makes them a verbal pun on their parents' names).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 30, 2017

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

is it really a spin off though. it's just more naruto. everything is exactly the same

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Apparently this is going to be completly seperate from the manga and will instead be following its own story (which makes sense given the manga's current release schedule and the fact that the first 9 chapters are just an adaption of the Boruto movie only with worse artwork).

Technically Boruto and Sarada are just the Japanese pronunciations of their actual names (Bolt and Salad). Most translators just seem to leave them as is though (plus spelling them that way also makes them a verbal pun on their parents' names).

Bolt being based off Neji's name which means Screw.

Also for another major character

Orochimaru Came back and helped save the world by summoning all the Dead Hokage during the War. This got him pardoned for his many many many crimes. After this he started his labs up again and continued doing amoral experiments. He swapped to a new body and eventually did find immortality accomplishing the first main step of his dream. He later grew new main cast member Mitsuki in a tube before sending him out on his way to see what would happen. He is also allowed to walk in, out and around in Konoha as if he never did kidnap and murder hundreds of its citizens

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wasn't very fond of Naruto by the time it wrapped up, but I have to admit the epilogue chapters featuring Sasuke's kid are kind of interesting. Her position, being the offspring of a terrible female lead/quasi-love interest and the evil-for-about-half-the-story rival, and the way she looks up to the previous hero, is something that strikes me as pretty dang unique

That being said considering who the show is named after, and the degree of logic that it seems to be functioning on ("You get a pardon! And you get a pardon! And you get a pardon!") I'm not expecting anything good from this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Naruto just goes by the anime rule that friendship trumps murder, as practiced by its patron saint Goku.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I'm excited for the show, but I'm not sure what to expect for a story. If it's not really "official", what will they go with for a main arc/path for the characters?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it will probably be the same poo poo all over again with slightly different characters

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"Shikadai" is one of the most awkward and lame anime names I've ever encountered. It just does not roll off the tongue well at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hey, this means the anime staff can do poo poo like the Iron Naruto mech but keep it canon and be important for when the big story beats happen. I'm alright with trying that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Salad is a good girl who deserves to be in a better anime franchise

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DisDisDis posted:

They're just ripping off Dragon Ball now and naming their characters after vegetables.

(There's even a planet Salad in the DB universe too)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Why does Salad have giant hooker heels in the newest chapter

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bolt being based off Neji's name which means Screw.

Also for another major character

Orochimaru Came back and helped save the world by summoning all the Dead Hokage during the War. This got him pardoned for his many many many crimes. After this he started his labs up again and continued doing amoral experiments. He swapped to a new body and eventually did find immortality accomplishing the first main step of his dream. He later grew new main cast member Mitsuki in a tube before sending him out on his way to see what would happen. He is also allowed to walk in, out and around in Konoha as if he never did kidnap and murder hundreds of its citizens

I was under the impression that he was basically under house arrest. And he's actually a better parent than Naruto or Sasuke, in his own...unique way.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
loving the brick cell. daimyo definitely loves to ski

I'm liking this Boruto world, they went straight from the middle ages to the ninja 1980s
kishi want that stranger things cash

just have more stupid poo poo like this chapter and less like DBZ dudes whatever those guys were

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At some point Kishi decided the Naruto world is more or less the real world but without cars or guns.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Boruto: "My dad doesn't love me enough, I'm gonna go hang out with Sarada's dad!"

Sarada: "My dad doesn't love me enough, I'm gonna go hang out with Boruto's dad!"

Do I have this right? Because that sounds like two solid plans.

Also,

seiferguy posted:

Sasuke: Redeems himself by saving the world with Naruto. Gets pardoned for his various war crimes by Kakashi, and decides to go into exile to atone for his sins. Also lost an arm in his fight against Naruto, but doesn't opt for a new arm because he doesn't think He takes Sakura along for a trip where they get hitched, and have a kid.

doesn't think what??

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sindai posted:

At some point Kishi decided the Naruto world is more or less the real world but without cars or guns.
guns haven't shown up yet? I could've sworn Kishi pulled off the whole Yojimbo "I'm the one guy with the revolver, check THIS out!" cliche

maybe that'll be saved for Boruto

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I was under the impression that he was basically under house arrest. And he's actually a better parent than Naruto or Sasuke, in his own...unique way.

He's not it's been shown that he is free to do whatever he wants and maintains multiple labs. He is just not hostile anymore.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Freakazoid_ posted:

doesn't think what??

Oops I somehow didn't finish that sentence!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Is that a framed picture of ninja beyblades?!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

salad was good when kishi was writing her but who knows if she will be treated well by this new anime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

salad was good when kishi was writing her but who knows if she will be treated well by this new anime

Well at least they're sticking with her original design rather than what she looks like in the current manga so that's good at least. Hope she gets handled well enough but I'm not holding my breath. By the way, how much involvement does Kishimoto actually have in this series (or, to go back to the Dragon Ball analogy, are we looking at a potential GT or a Super)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 2, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Well at least they're sticking with her original design rather than what she looks like in the current manga so that's good at least. Hope she gets handled well enough but I'm not holding my breath. By the way, how much involvement does Kishimoto actually have in this series (or, to go back to the Dragon Ball analogy, are we looking at a potential GT or a Super)?

Actually, from the one frame in the PV, she seems to be wearing the manga's outfit, just streamlined for animation.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Does that include the platforms?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Larryb posted:

Kishimoto is involved in that he created the idea of Boruto, but the manga is written by Ukyo Kodachi.The anime is supposed to go a different direction than the manga, though. Kishimoto is still involved in some sort of way (probably has creative input), and he's not completely divorced from the series like Toriyama was with DBGT. So hopefully it's more of a Super than a GT. He's done interviews about the show and says that he wants it to be more lighthearted than how Naruto ended, but it's somewhat of a reboot in that he wants younger viewers to be able to enjoy the show again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Kishimoto is involved in that he created the idea of Boruto, but the manga is written by Ukyo Kodachi.The anime is supposed to go a different direction than the manga, though. Kishimoto is still involved in some sort of way (probably has creative input), and he's not completely divorced from the series like Toriyama was with DBGT. So hopefully it's more of a Super than a GT. He's done interviews about the show and says that he wants it to be more lighthearted than how Naruto ended, but it's somewhat of a reboot in that he wants younger viewers to be able to enjoy the show again.

That's a pretty good sign actually, hope the show manages to follow through on that (plus, returning to something more akin to the original series is probably for the best seeing as by the end of things in Shippuden the characters started being less like ninjas and more like wizards).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Didn't the first chapter have a page of some mysterious boy facing off Boruto in the ruins of the village?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

First couple pages were what looked like a teenage boruto fighting some guy with a similar tattoo, and like every building in sight toppled over.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Do you guys have a credible source when you say that the anime is going to follow its own storyline separated from the manga, or is it just hearsay?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It better as the manga is implying that abort becomes an edge lord and we don't need more of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It better as the manga is implying that abort becomes an edge lord and we don't need more of that.

Also, aside from the Gaiden chapters that came out before there really isn't much in the manga that could be adapted at this point considering it started with a retelling of the movie, only comes out on a monthly basis and is only just now starting on original content.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first episode began with the same flash forward the manga did (an older Boruto fighting some edgelord in a destroyed Leaf Village) but the rest was entirely new content so I guess at least some aspects of the manga are being adapted after all (including Sarada's outfit unfortunately, though it didn't seem quite as offensive looking here). Still not a bad start though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 5, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Boruto also has his special borutogan from the getgo. I'm gonna finish this episode, the setting is really interesting, but I think i'll bail out while I can.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
So once again the Springtime of Youth spinoff adaptation we'll eventually get will be the best part of the series, got it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Boruto launching a train car into the Hokage Monument to get to class on time was better than anything in the entire war arc.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Shneak posted:

Boruto launching a train car into the Hokage Monument to get to class on time was better than anything in the entire war arc.

That poo poo almost makes me want to keep watching future eps.

There's some really cute and good stuff, but there's a ton of flags already telling us it'll get to Shippuden's big dumb escalation boringness really quickly. You got the stupid edgelord open, Boruto's Borutogan and the OST's only way of going into action is with heavy rock that feels out of place for the child action because it'll likely fit when gods are fighting or whatever.

It just hit me that they're totally going to spread the Ninja Academy into a whole 26 episode thing, and then do a second OP for the third cour that features Sasuke because they'll adapt Scarlet Spring. In six months and some change we'll get Sasuke about to stab his daughter.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That opening was so ridiculous I thought it was going to be some kind of parody dream or something.

I forgot it was in the manga and Bort already had a magic eye.