Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I expected bort to have his own special power at some point but ahaha more eyehax and in episode 1, they sure didn't hide that!

It's creepy that many of naruto's classmates found someone to have children with at roughly the same time, seeing as all of naruto's friends' kids are all attending at the same grade level. Bort is so deeply tied to his father's shadow, an entire village coordinated their childbirths so that bort could grow up like his father did. Suddenly, Bort wanting to be with Sasuke makes some sort of sense.

I will admit the final train scene was good. I'll give it a couple more episodes and not because I am here forever I can stop anytime.

Sindai posted:

That opening was so ridiculous I thought it was going to be some kind of parody dream or something.

Yeah me too, I was expecting a sudden cut to him playing pretend with some friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
That flash forward sure is a way to open your new lighthearted series.

Anyway, series has promise imo, as long as it takes like a hundred episodes to get to the flash forward.

Would've been better if Boruto and Himawari were twins, or at least if one of them was born in January and the other in December of the same year, so they could still start school at the same time.
I wonder how Shikadai is gonna differ from his dad, because at this point he literally looks like the same person, only 20 years younger.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I expected bort to have his own special power at some point but ahaha more eyehax and in episode 1, they sure didn't hide that!

It's creepy that many of naruto's classmates found someone to have children with at roughly the same time, seeing as all of naruto's friends' kids are all attending at the same grade level. Bort is so deeply tied to his father's shadow, an entire village coordinated their childbirths so that bort could grow up like his father did. Suddenly, Bort wanting to be with Sasuke makes some sort of sense.

I will admit the final train scene was good. I'll give it a couple more episodes and not because I am here forever I can stop anytime.

Yeah me too, I was expecting a sudden cut to him playing pretend with some friends.

Eh, people got home from a traumatic as poo poo war where some unknown number of mood ninja (and neiji) died. Not entirely surprising that there is a big generational boom after that, baby boomers and all that.

Well, apart from the fact that the whole ninja world war lasted like... A day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I thin it lasted two. There was something of that plant guy turning into other people and a hilarious Neji thing that lasted for a night. And then on the third day it was Naruto's birthday.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I watched the first episode this weekend. I'm a fan so far. Seems to go back to the original goofiness of Naruto (minus the older Boruto taking on an unknown target on top of a shattered Hokage rock foreshadow).

I still don't get why Konahamaru is leading Bort's team, when technically as a Sarutobi he should be leading the Cho-Shika-Ino team. Also, Chocho is a legit WoC that might be prominently featured!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I don't remember it needing to be a Sarutobi leading the Ino-Shika-Cho. Asuma was in charge of Team 10 for other reasons from what I remember.

Besides Konohamaru leading the son of his "teacher" is what both he and Naruto would want, and Naruto is Hokage and thus final say in team compositions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second episode was actually pretty good, it reminded me of the original series in some ways (we also meet Inojin in this one who seems to have inherited Sai's bluntness, next week we get to see if Metal Lee is just as entertaining as his dad was). Hopefully this kind of thing will be the norm from here on.

I do like that the show is pretty much exclusively focused on the kids while the old gaurd is kept more to the background, gives the new characters a chance to shine for once. While we know from the flash forward at the beginning of the premiere there's going to be another time jump eventually, hopefully they'll keep things at the current light-hearted fare for at least the first 100 episodes.

While they could easily gently caress things up later on so far this show is better than I expected.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yikes http://goboiano.com/naruto-animator-kazunori-mizuno-passes-away-from-overwork/

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder why it's always presented as some exotic Japanese thing. Orientalism maybe?
I mean "stress induced heart attacks and stroke" sounds like something that prolly happens to tons of Americans and the stress they're receiving is commonly related to work/finances

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This really brings me back to how the first bit of Naruto felt. It's really a fun time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This anime is a weird mix of the pleasentness of early Naruto, with some new characters I'm surprised I actually like - the delinquent kinda gives me a Jojo character vibe, and the rich kid is a nice way to explain things - and the apprehension that comes with seeing the flashback and knowing all of this will inevitably go to poo poo as we spiral into the maelstrom of eyehax bullshit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

This anime is a weird mix of the pleasentness of early Naruto, with some new characters I'm surprised I actually like - the delinquent kinda gives me a Jojo character vibe, and the rich kid is a nice way to explain things - and the apprehension that comes with seeing the flashback and knowing all of this will inevitably go to poo poo as we spiral into the maelstrom of eyehax bullshit.

Yeah, so far this show has actually managed to capture the feel of the early days of Naruto surprisingly well (and I'm sort of curious where they're going with the whole underlying plot of the black chakra or whatever it is, even though it'll probably end up being dissapointing and/or stupid) and so far I would still say it's far better than the manga version.

Hopefully we still have a ways to go before things start getting super dark though (I'm guessing it will be since they're still in the academy and Mitsuki hasn't even been introduced yet). The fact they even still used the same flashforward as the manga (plus the whole Borutogan thing our lead's got going on) worries me though but for now though the show is much better than I expected and I'll keep watching.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 20, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh great they're introducing Sarada with a 'battle of the sexes' episode next time. With the nuanced gender politics Naruto has shown so far I'm sure this will go down just fine :suicide:

Also there's been a severe lack of Cho Cho, the best character. That said I'm liking Metal Lee, the second best.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wish Boruto just had regular byakugan and a more Hyuga-like skillset. That would've made more sense even, since Naruto is apparently mostly absent from his life, and Hinata would've had all the time in the world to train him.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
I'm honestly enjoying the show so far! Reminds me of the Naruto when it aired on Cartoon Network at night.

Anyways, I'm genuinely curious about the direction they're going to take, especially with whatever Bort summoned in today's episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I totally forgot Shino was their teacher until this episode. Nobody wanted to marry a guy full of bugs. :smith:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

For a second I thought he summoned Orochimaru

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mymla posted:

I wish Boruto just had regular byakugan and a more Hyuga-like skillset. That would've made more sense even, since Naruto is apparently mostly absent from his life, and Hinata would've had all the time in the world to train him.
A lot of the show doesn't make any sense to get away with more pandering. It would have been cool if he had a skillset derived from learning from Naruto's friends and teachers, but instead he just has Naruto's skills implying he spent considerable time with him teaching him. Except the show explicitly acts like he didn't.

Oh well. To be honest this show is as charming as early Naruto without Sasuke's emo proclamations I don't mind. Even this episode, which I thought was going to be awful, came out fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

A lot of the show doesn't make any sense to get away with more pandering. It would have been cool if he had a skillset derived from learning from Naruto's friends and teachers, but instead he just has Naruto's skills implying he spent considerable time with him teaching him. Except the show explicitly acts like he didn't.

Oh well. To be honest this show is as charming as early Naruto without Sasuke's emo proclamations I don't mind. Even this episode, which I thought was going to be awful, came out fun.

The fact that there is no Sasuke-like character to drag things down (yet at least) is a major plus yes. So far I actually like this series better than Shippuden and am interested in seeing where things go from here (hopefully things won't go completly off the rails as we get further in though). I hope Sarada doesn't eventually fall into the usual Uchiha trap of doing something insanely stupid later on though (or at the very least I hope she ends up being more like her uncle than her dad).

Also kudos to the writers for not taking this episode in the direction I thought it was going to go based on the title and last week's preview.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 26, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sindai posted:

I totally forgot Shino was their teacher until this episode. Nobody wanted to marry a guy full of bugs. :smith:

Who's that other teacher with him that looks like Kurenai? They seem to have a thing going...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mitsuki is actually supposed to be kinda upbeat right? I barely remember what I've seen of him, but he's not supposed to be king of the emo snakes or something is he?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spiderdrake posted:

Mitsuki is actually supposed to be kinda upbeat right? I barely remember what I've seen of him, but he's not supposed to be king of the emo snakes or something is he?

I mean he's king of the snakes. As in he is a Snake Sage, But yeah he is jokey.

If anything Boruto is the Sasuke of the group. A Sasuke who didn't lose his entire family. But still a Sasuke.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

The fact that there is no Sasuke-like character to drag things down (yet at least) is a major plus yes. So far I actually like this series better than Shippuden and am interested in seeing where things go from here (hopefully things won't go completly off the rails as we get further in though). I hope Sarada doesn't eventually fall into the usual Uchiha trap of doing something insanely stupid later on though (or at the very least I hope she ends up being more like her uncle than her dad).

She's the daughter of Sasuke Uchiha and someone who willingly married and had a child with Sasuke Uchiha. She hasn't got a chance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, salad is kind of innately tragic. she is a ninja with a sharingan, so no matter how sane she might be now her eyehax will eventually turn her into an insane jerk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Obito and Shisui were cool

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Itachi at least had some sense in him, though he is still the one directly responsible for Sasuke turning out the way he did (in his defense, knowing what we know now about the Uchiha maybe thinning out their numbers was a good idea in the long run). Obito started out decent but we all know what happened to him. Then again, we haven't seen many female Uchiha in action so maybe Salad will turn out ok (though I doubt it considering who her parents are).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 27, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even without eyehax-based mental illness salad was raised in a broken home by her deranged, violent and obsessive mother. she's got a lot of baggage to overcome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even without eyehax-based mental illness salad was raised in a broken home by her deranged, violent and obsessive mother. she's got a lot of baggage to overcome.

Yeah good point, Sakura isn't exactly known for making the best decisions in her life and Sasuke is basically a hobo now (and it's only thanks to Naruto and Kakashi that he's not dead or imprisoned for life). With all that it's actually kind of surprising that Salad is in as good a mental condition as she is currently. But who knows, she might still somehow be the one who ends up breaking the cycle.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I sure like playing naruto ninja storm 4

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

For a second I thought he summoned Orochimaru

I guess that's what it's leading to - again. That lion/snake demon is related to Mitsuki (based on the preview) who is actually related to Orochimomu.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's a Nue, I think? One of those ape/tiger/snake yokai. I don't actually know any of the stuff that's mentioned in the other spin-offs so I may be way off base here, but that's the first thing that came to mind. Hope I'm right though, they always sounded neat and I can't think of any other animated appearances they've made.

So, two questions: who's the purple girl playing the Hinata role despite not being related to her? And who'd the fat kid from the first series end up marrying?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

It's a Nue, I think? One of those ape/tiger/snake yokai. I don't actually know any of the stuff that's mentioned in the other spin-offs so I may be way off base here, but that's the first thing that came to mind. Hope I'm right though, they always sounded neat and I can't think of any other animated appearances they've made.

So, two questions: who's the purple girl playing the Hinata role despite not being related to her? And who'd the fat kid from the first series end up marrying?

Boruto's class president (I forget her name but she's exclusive to this series) and Choji ended up marrying some Cloud ninja whose name I also forget (I don't think the two characters ever interacted with each other once in the entire series actually, even in anime filler).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Larryb posted:

Boruto's class president (I forget her name but she's exclusive to this series) and Choji ended up marrying some Cloud ninja whose name I also forget (I don't think the two characters ever interacted with each other once in the entire series actually, even in anime filler).

I think it's Sumire? And the Cloud Ninja was Karui.

Unrelated, but I hope the 'let's just bomb this poo poo' girl shows up more, she seems fun.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

Obito's endlessly repeated flashbacks and general turboedge was the worst part of the latter parts of shippuuden.

And I had to check the wiki to even remember who Shisui is. I still don't really remember him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Obito was just Sasuke but over a girl.

Because Naruto is obsessed with drawing parallels.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am probably not gonna watch this but I assume everyone has loving eyehax?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Just the title character so far and his has barely been used all that much. It's a fun show actually, way more remniscent of early Naruto than it is Shippuden (though it still has the potential to go downhill fast if that flashforward we saw in the beginning is any indication).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I actually think Chouji marrying someone he would meet but not something we saw happen on screen is a good thing. I don't think Boruto is going to do it, but exploring the peace years and things that happened to the old cast creates a more vibrant story. I hope Metal Lee's mom is some totally normal ninja from like, I don't know, the Hidden Mist. Or Orochimaru cloned Rock Lee.

AtomikKrab posted:

It's not even really eyehax. So far he can use the chakra detection skills of basic eye stuff. I don't think Sarada has hers yet? I legitimately can't remember when this series "is".

This is some seriously low powered ninja poo poo. Sai's kid wears overalls you'd see on a six year old. That's how low powered this series is so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I actually think Chouji marrying someone he would meet but not something we saw happen on screen is a good thing. I don't think Boruto is going to do it, but exploring the peace years and things that happened to the old cast creates a more vibrant story. I hope Metal Lee's mom is some totally normal ninja from like, I don't know, the Hidden Mist. Or Orochimaru cloned Rock Lee.
It's not even really eyehax. So far he can use the chakra detection skills of basic eye stuff. I don't think Sarada has hers yet? I legitimately can't remember when this series "is".

This is some seriously low powered ninja poo poo. Sai's kid wears overalls you'd see on a six year old. That's how low powered this series is so far.

Considering they're still in school and Mitsuki is only just now getting introduced I'd say this series takes place before the Boruto movie (which I kind of hope they don't revisit or at the very least they handle it in a slightly different way, it was bad enough having to put up with it in the manga).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also Chocho is cool and fun. And being cool and fun >>> having to foreshadow a relationship.

This series takes place before Naruto chapter #700(the final chapter), and thus also before Salad's sidestory, It looks like Mitsuki is about to show up so it probably takes place in Konoha after the Mitsuki's standalone chapter.