Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not sure why I started watching this but I did, and in episode 4 I heard the voices of Mami and Tomomi from SCANDAL as random background characters

I dont know anything about this series, I barely made it into Shipuden but I recognize the parents of most of the kids. Is the manga running along side this series roughly the same? It looks like it's coming out once a month only which makes me truly afraid this series is going to go into filler hell before it even hits episode 30

No, at this point at least the anime and manga are completely separate stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The manga being monthly along with its glacial pacing is the primary reason why the anime decided to take a different route. But despite how much Naruto may have traumatized you, you shouldn't consider the Boruto anime-exclusive storylines filler; like with Dragon Ball Super, the same writer is on both the manga and the anime.

So far the anime has been decidedly more low key than the manga, which has worked out for the better in just about every possible way if you ask me. Unless you really, really like drama I would ignore the manga entirely. The anime has made much better use of its cast (both old and new) and setting, and is just more... pleasant to watch, I guess? If you were a Naruto fan it's kinda enjoyable seeing the ways the new gen differs from the old, and it feels like the anime is taking its chance to rewrite or clarify some of the weirder things the movie and the manga established.

As an example, in episode... 13, I think, Boruto explains that up until Naruto became Hokage he was straight up Best Dad Ever and always around for his kids. So Boruto's anger with his dad taking his position so seriously changed from "spoiled kid who doesn't understand the importance of his dad's position" to "kid who doesn't understand why things have suddenly changed", which is much more sympathetic. Actually, Boruto in the anime is waaaaaay more sympathetic than just about any of his other portrayals, which is probably going to make the inevitable movie retelling weird as hell. I kinda hope they just rewrite that thing entirely.

Also episode 15 was nice. I liked how Boruto's scene at the beginning contrasted with his earlier obsession over attaining eyehax and how Shino's arc concluded. The ending implied Sarada Gaiden is next, so I guess I'll stick along to see how that trainwreck goes. But that scene with Not Vegeta and Not Nappa at the end still has me ready to bail out the second things get dumb.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I like the background characters a lot, especially the goth girl. This show has a lot more personality than the original.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BlitzBlast posted:

The manga being monthly along with its glacial pacing is the primary reason why the anime decided to take a different route. But despite how much Naruto may have traumatized you, you shouldn't consider the Boruto anime-exclusive storylines filler; like with Dragon Ball Super, the same writer is on both the manga and the anime.

So far the anime has been decidedly more low key than the manga, which has worked out for the better in just about every possible way if you ask me. Unless you really, really like drama I would ignore the manga entirely. The anime has made much better use of its cast (both old and new) and setting, and is just more... pleasant to watch, I guess? If you were a Naruto fan it's kinda enjoyable seeing the ways the new gen differs from the old, and it feels like the anime is taking its chance to rewrite or clarify some of the weirder things the movie and the manga established.

As an example, in episode... 13, I think, Boruto explains that up until Naruto became Hokage he was straight up Best Dad Ever and always around for his kids. So Boruto's anger with his dad taking his position so seriously changed from "spoiled kid who doesn't understand the importance of his dad's position" to "kid who doesn't understand why things have suddenly changed", which is much more sympathetic. Actually, Boruto in the anime is waaaaaay more sympathetic than just about any of his other portrayals, which is probably going to make the inevitable movie retelling weird as hell. I kinda hope they just rewrite that thing entirely.

Also episode 15 was nice. I liked how Boruto's scene at the beginning contrasted with his earlier obsession over attaining eyehax and how Shino's arc concluded. The ending implied Sarada Gaiden is next, so I guess I'll stick along to see how that trainwreck goes. But that scene with Not Vegeta and Not Nappa at the end still has me ready to bail out the second things get dumb.

The thing is I agree you should probably just watch the anime but I for the most part disagree with the manga's story being a problem. The Manga's story has been fine. The Boruto movie was fine for the story it was trying to tell, and the manga's first arc was just that, and the new stuff with the Daimyo's kid has been cool story wise as well. Looks like the movie arc solved like all of the assholishness with Boruto.

The main reason you shouldn't read the manga is because the art is hot garbage, while the Anime still uses Kishimoto's style.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eh the story in the anime feels... Off somehow, even beyond the art. I don't want to say it's bad since maybe it'll be good when animated, but it feels like the storyboarding or something didn't work right.

Also this show is just so loving nice to see these characters you followed for a decade actually getting some sense of reward and happiness. Seeing Rock Lee with Metal is just pleasant in a way very few fictional works ever get to do. The manga has much less of that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Once we get further in I'm guessing they'll start bringing in some manga content (the new ending pretty much confirms that Sarada Gaiden is getting adapted soon for example). Hell, it might even be the next major arc of the series.

They're probably going to rehash the movie at some point too (Though if they do I hope they just do a complete redo of the script while keeping the basic concepts, the anime has added in a few new characters to the cast that weren't present in the original film after all so they're almost gonna have to change things a bit).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Salad and Boruto team up they can be Salad Bowl(uto).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good episode today, at first I thought it was going to just be a rehash of something that's already been animated (The Day Naruto Became Hokage one-shot manga) but fortunately that only took up like the first 8 minutes of the episode. Salad Gaiden is the next official story arc as I figured based on the current ED and starts next week.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm ready for the sasuke sucks so loving much arc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm ready for the sasuke sucks so loving much arc

It was so loving great. Especially in the fanbase.

Because it was literally implying what a number of the hardline shippers were pushing about Sasuke, Sakura and Karen, from the final flash forward chapter.

Those weeks were so very good to browse Naruto communities. People were sooo mad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I question the need for an arc centered around making GBS threads on Sakura

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kishimoto has made it an art form to undercut Sakura's big drat cool moments quickly and efficiently from like the start of the series. It'd be breaking character if Sakura had any well meaning and long term success.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I question the need for an arc centered around making GBS threads on Sakura

sakura's life choices poo poo on her enough

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this arc getting animated for a while. Not because of the stupid one-note villain mind you but because of how hilariously dumb things get (Sasuke almost killing his daughter because he barely recognizes her, Sarada thinking Karin is her mom just because they both wear glasses and the general trolling of the fanbase overall. among other things) plus it further emphasizes how both Sasuke and Sakura are terrible parents/people in their own ways. This should be fun to watch.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean I can't blame Sakura for being a bad parent.

Being a single mom is hard. And Sarada seems extremely well adjusted considering that. Pity she's an Uchiha, so her future is filled with nothing but sadness despair and bullshit eye powers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sakura isn't nearly as bad a parent as sasuke, though she's still not great what with her violent, uncontrollable rages.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sakura isn't nearly as bad a parent as sasuke, though she's still not great what with her violent, uncontrollable rages.

And her string of poor life choices. But yeah, it's impressive that Sarada is as well adjusted as she is considering all the baggage she has to carry. I wonder if this means she'll somehow manage to avoid the usual misery that comes from being born an Uchiha (or at the very least, ends up being more like her Uncle Itachi).

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I always though it was weird that someone who was the last of their clan of super special ninjas would have only one kid. Way to put all your eggs in one basket.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ethiser posted:

I always though it was weird that someone who was the last of their clan of super special ninjas would have only one kid. Way to put all your eggs in one basket.

Well I mean technically you cannot lose the sharigan because eyes are apparently interchangeable.

I mean a twelve year old once changed them out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, while sasuke is still a deadbeat who totally has a second family somewhere, he was right to stay the heck away from salad. he totally would have screwed her up way worse than sakura ever could. given his many, many flaws as a person sasuke did the best he could.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
My favorite part of that episode was fancy Ichiraku Ramen

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Personally I kinda enjoy the contrast the show has been pushing between Boruto and Sarada. Boruto always has company around and has a cheerful home life (even with his issues with Naruto), and meanwhile the first focus episode with Sarada reveals that she always comes home to an empty house because Sakura works late hours and she mostly sticks to herself outside of class.

And yet she is still somehow the most emotionally well-adjusted Uchiha.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally I kinda enjoy the contrast the show has been pushing between Boruto and Sarada. Boruto always has company around and has a cheerful home life (even with his issues with Naruto), and meanwhile the first focus episode with Sarada reveals that she always comes home to an empty house because Sakura works late hours and she mostly sticks to herself outside of class.

And yet she is still somehow the most emotionally well-adjusted Uchiha.

Chocho is A Good Friend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chocho ain't got no time for the usual uchiha bullshit, so salad had to mostly drop it just to keep up with such a high-energy friend.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Will never get over how Sakura has a loving image framed of Sasuke in goddamn Akatsuki gear.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"And this is how your dad dressed while he tried to murder a bunch of people, including me."

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Sindai posted:

"And this is how your dad dressed while he tried to murder a bunch of people, including me."

"You'll prolly also go through a phase like this. Puberty hits the uchiha HARD."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sindai posted:

No silly he didn't try and kill me, just used eye magic to make me think he did

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

CharlestheHammer posted:

No silly he didn't try and kill me, just used eye magic to make me think he did

No no he did try to kill me before, when he asked me to kill the red headed woman in that picture to prove my loyalty.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean technically you cannot lose the sharigan because eyes are apparently interchangeable.

I mean a twelve year old once changed them out.

I'll put my money on no more than 100 episodes until Sarada has at least one of Sasuke's eyes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I'll put my money on no more than 100 episodes until Sarada has at least one of Sasuke's eyes.

In fact, she'll be getting her Sharingan in this very arc (though I don't think she does anything significant with it).

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Mymla posted:

Nah she and Boruto will swap one eye so they both have the byakugan and the sharingan.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Judging by the latest manga chapter introducing an actual important threat I'm guessing we're eventually going to see the show fully adapt the manga?

this whole production is weird

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Judging by the latest manga chapter introducing an actual important threat I'm guessing we're eventually going to see the show fully adapt the manga?

this whole production is weird

Eventually but probably not for a while. We're on Sarada Gaiden right now, the kids still need to be put on a team together and then they're most likely gonna rehash the movie again (hopefully changing things up a bit this time to at least account for the new characters the anime introduced) and then once that's done we'll probably finally start getting some main manga content.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Did they seriously not reveal who Rock Lee had a kid with? He was literally the only one I cared about in terms of who paired up with who

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Umbreon posted:

Did they seriously not reveal who Rock Lee had a kid with? He was literally the only one I cared about in terms of who paired up with who

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Orochimaru just rolled a clone for him.

Shino doesn't get anybody, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Orochimaru just rolled a clone for him.

Shino doesn't get anybody, though.

Neither does Tenten who is currently running a weapon shop nobody visits.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Umbreon posted:

A Lee is never born, they just appear and the previous Lee instinctively begins to train them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The last time he used drunken fist Metal was there when he woke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

A Lee is never born, they just appear and the previous Lee instinctively begins to train them.

I'm still not convinced that Rock Lee isn't Gai's illegitimate son (they look almost exactly alike and we never do see Lee's family in the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 24, 2017