Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Chapter 17 is now out. I guess this is one way to deal with an organization that seemingly came out of nowhere, start staffing it with people who we *kind of* know already. Ao was never really a name commodity, as he was a minor player in the war. And he seemingly was killed with Shikaku off screen. This finally begins to sketch in certain potential aspects of where the plot may go though, if this is old guard ninja who potentially aren't exactly thrilled by Naruto's new world.

Ao also has other ties to potentially explore, what with his stolen Byakugan. Though I'm not exactly sure he still has that or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

He did, there was another flashback to Guy's dad that he appeared in.

He's one of the rare people in the original series who made the jump from the anime to the manga. The only others I can think of off hand were two Uchiha elders who appeared in a Sasuke flashback.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 18, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, characters getting expanded roles in the anime was pretty par for the course for filler episodes.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Itachi and Obito also wiped out the rest of the Uchiha in one night. So the Sharingan really didn't do the rest of them any good. You just get ultra-hax destiny powering up the remaining few.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

With chakra you don't have to worry about lugging ammo around or running out of it. Granted you'd need to be careful of how much chakra you're using, but as an expert ninja Ao can probably control the amount he puts in.

I was thinking that too, but then I remembered that a ninja could feasibly store all their ammo in scroll ammo "clips". Just summon each projectile the moment before it's fired.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It's complicated. There's some dumb MGS-level plot twisting concerning them. Madara *thought* they were his idea and straight up clones of Hashirama, but they were originally people tethered and absorbed by the Shinju in the past. When Madara came around, he thought he was just making Hashirama clones, but they were actually the regurgitated enslaved people who were spit back out. To be clear, they apparently do have some Hashirama in them, but they weren't his clones.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wonder if this latest anime arc will finally start to move into the Kara stuff. It seems like they've been dropping enough hints at the larger ninja tech arc throughout the series, that they might finally start into it in full. Hopefully handling it better than the manga has...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Wonder if Karin bit Sakura's umblical cord to separate her from Sarada. Still not sure why her DNA was on that... Even as a doctor she should have been wearing gloves.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Ahh, okay. Forgot, thought he testing it against Karin's.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Don't have time for jobber Chuunin.

Joking, because I'm not sure Lee's been referred to as a Jounin yet? Perhaps so? I don't think Boruto has had any technical guidebooks released yet, so I don't know if some of those advancements have been hard confirmed.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 17, 2019

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This graced my timeline today.

https://twitter.com/Chef_Lu_Bu/status/1164760384739221504?s=20

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, he's much further along and competent than Naruto was. His upper limit is obviously probably not as high, but he seems more well rounded.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

So they're still going with Grass operating the prison out in the sea. Weird.

While I guess some form of the Blood Prison movie might have happened, it must be in some weird fourth tier canon form.

I was really hoping for a lot of D list tier cameos from all the surviving Naruto filler villains.

Teek fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 28, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Boruto 147: We finally rejoined the manga once again. Here’s hoping for a stronger take on it this time around.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, we’re finally back to “canon” in so far as a non-Kishomoto take on the characters is canon. 148 is a take on Boruto chapter 11. I’ll throw out my recommendation to watch, if only because the characters and relationships are much more meaningful, much better designed and much less grossly handled than in the manga. Comparing the chapter to the episode, it’s so nice to see the characters stick to their anime personalities and how the anime original characters slot in to flesh out the story better. Iwabe being a big part this episode. Sarada also didn’t suddenly switch to 17 year old in a 12 year olds body.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Aside from the internal Kara politics, none of that seemed surprising. Surely Shikamaru and the other ninja world big brains could have surmised all the aliens/parallel reality, Juubi and chakra fruit information from the Fourth Shinobi War and the follow up invasion events already? I mean they're not acting that surprised, but I'm not sure why Amado would think he was dropping bombs there.

Are we also going to get a reveal that Koji is an Orochimaru creation? Frankly I've never really felt he looked that much like Jiraiya, maybe that's just a side effect of the different artist. The now "repentant" Orochimaru creating a clone of his former comrade to spy on Kara seems about his speed.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 20, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Do we even have any unrevealed preexisting ninja who could sneak into this possibly former Leaf ninja role? I know when he first appeared, I wondered if he could have been Konohamaru's father. That really doesn't track though with the more we've learned about Koji. Jiraiya did have two other students along with Minato, but Koji really doesn't look like either. Jiraiya having yet another wayward student would also be pretty lame at this point, or also an unrevealed son.

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 21, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Kakashi has a mole on his face silly.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

that’s technically canon to the anime.

I may need a bit of a breakdown on what you mean by this, mainly because you don't mention The Last. I realize this series is a mess of canonization, but here is my understanding of the basic layout:

1. Naruto Manga - The core base canon (+ Naruto: The Last since Kishimoto helped write it and I don't think it breaks anything)
2A. Naruto Anime + 2B. Shippuuden Anime - The Anime canon (+ Naruto: The Last) And you're arguing Road to Ninja is too? And the Boruto Movie?
3. Most of the Naruto + Shippuuden Movies and several of the OVAs, which don't really fit in anywhere
4. The Hiden books and all the light novels which were being adapted into the Anime canon in various ways.
5. Boruto Manga - I'd count it as it's own separate canon now
2C. Boruto Anime - I'd count this in the Anime canon, and bump out the Boruto movie into the #3 with all the other "canon to themselves" movies.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 27, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, I think we're just using "canon" differently. And yes, I'm aware of the Boruto movie being adapted, that's why I said it is now included with most of the other movies, which don't really fit in anywhere except with themselves now. The anime adaption is now the more "anime canon" official version now.

Some random thoughts: I don't think you can count both the Boruto manga and the anime as the same canon really. The anime is an adaption/expansion of the manga, and has interpreted the characters/situations differently (and better tbh).

As for The Last, Toneri is the villain of the piece and had made several cameo appearances in the Boruto anime up until he was sealed away by Urashiki.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, it's Ashra and Indra's chakra that's getting resurrected each time. Not really their souls per se.

So presumably when old man Madara died and let Obito take over, Sasuke was born a short while later.

As for the hard work thing, it is a bit lame that Naruto ended up having the mother/father specialness. At least Naruto did have the never giving up and never going back on his word thing. While a lot of other over powered characters broke brained or failed, Naruto kept on chugging along. I think that's legit hard work too...

Also I won't let you guys taint "hard work" by ignoring Might Guy like that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Probably not the strongest episode to return on, but what can you do.

FWIW, somehow Mitsuki is probably my favorite character in the series, so no complaints from me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Poor Cho-cho. I don't know why they completely sideline you with such rote material all the time.

Thankfully next week it seems like we're finally moving into the Kara material.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The Rain stuff is a bit nonsensical, if only because we saw zero shinobi in the last great war from any non-five great shinobi nation. Really just a problem on Kishimoto's part that he completely forgets that those shinobi exist. The characters in this episode mentioned that Rain situation was a result of the last great war, well if the battlefields were far from the Rain and we saw no Rain shinobi participate other than dead ones... how exactly did that happen? Unless they meant the even earlier great shinobi wars.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Uchiha clearly respect the Third's family, or at least Mikoto and Fugaku do seeing as Sasuke is canonically named after Sasuke Sarutobi (the father of Hiruzen).

I had been thinking about this recently. Worth considering that this might have been done in an attempt to still seem cool with the village.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The anime kinda, maybe, sorta is starting to directly get back into the manga content. They’ve been doing a pretty slow build into the Kawaki arc that starts with Konohamaru and Mugino at the air ship crash. Most of the pieces are moving into place for that to finally happen in the next month or so.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If you’re binging the anime, you’ll be in good spot. It expands the story and characters to make a more cohesive narrative, you also won’t feel like a skeev afterwards. It does run into some pacing problems. If it tightened the story up about 30%, it would be great. As it stands, the anime only arcs tend to run a few episodes too long.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'm not sure there's any different between anime canon and filler. It's anime either way. The animated Naruto universe canon is very nebulous. It rivals the old Star Wars canon for being a mess. The animated universe across the three series contradicts itself numerous times and that's even discounting all the OVAs and movies. The anime isn't even consistent with itself, let alone the Naruto manga or the Scarlett Spring spin off volume.

The Boruto anime is an adaptation of the world post Naruto. The Boruto manga is an adaptation of the world post Naruto. Both the Boruto anime and manga influence each other, with the manga being seen as the lead, if only because I think it's being handled by a Kishimoto disciple.

I've seen people throw around the anime canon/filler | manga canon debate with the Boruto series, and I think the series is better suited to ignore that kind of delineation attempt.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

Hell, Kishimoto even wound up tossing some previously anime exclusive characters into the original Naruto manga for that matter (such as Raiga and the Uchiha cats).

Uchiha cats were manga first. Now the Uchiha aunty and uncle who greeted Sasuke, they were anime only first, then drawn into a later flashback in the manga.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The same way, when Sasuke went to the abandoned city to track down Itachi. That was their first appearance in the manga and later the anime.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Cats appeared several times of course, but not the ninja cats. The Naruto fillers were a vast hellscape of weird stuff, so it's not weird one misremembers.

The fact that Raiga became the biggest contribution from the anime to the manga is still hilarious to me. That and the fact he also impacted Boruto when they had his daughter appear. When is Ranmaru finally going to get some love Boruto makers? An adult Ranmaru popping up in Boruto? Make it happen people.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 2, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

It does become more consistent, and the animation improves by the time you move from Naruto to Naruto Shippuuden. Please just be aware that this is a weekly show based upon a weekly manga. So the pacing will be pretty bad regardless, with filler arcs interspersed to allow the manga to further ahead again. If you have a list of the filler arcs to skip, you'll probably be fine, especially if you're binging the show.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Theoretically, this might be somewhat of a call back to his original tail form transitions. Note that Bee more or less looked like Eight when he went full form. Naruto never did, what he obtained when he went nine tails was something cleaner, as in just purely getting the chakra. Early in the series he began to take the on the fox form more clearly, this might be a way to channel the chakra in a different way to get a power boost in exchange for something else? No idea.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

From another character or from the whole series? The copy functionality has been used several times by Sarada so far in Boruto.

At a certain point though, it did get completely subsumed by all the other eye hax it has in the Shippuuden. Didn't really go back to its base nature until a novice started using it again.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Technically all the Zetsu were once people too. I get the sense though they all got overridden with Otsutsuki OS after they got Infinite Tsukuyomi'd though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The final war arc is the last big arc of the show. It’s all one ride so you really just have to keep on it until the end. It’s a long arc, but it features some of the best stuff in Shippuuden.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'm not sure where this worry is coming from. Have you read the Boruto manga? Sarada barely gets anything already, she's mainly there for gross ogling. She got 10 times the development in the Scarlett Spring volume Kishimoto did.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

This week’s episode: Ino’s a good mom. It’s actually refreshing that there are quite a few examples of good parenting in this series, lol. I like the mention of Inoichi, and it looks like his and Shikaku’s deaths will directly be related to the reappearance of Ao, which came out of nowhere in the manga. Maybe we’ll finally get a flashback.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Dunno about that, there are several good Himawari episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Spoilers for the next chapter are starting to leak. First for sure Kishimoto chapter? And it looks like he's already taking a stab at making some big moves.