Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

Salad is a good girl who deserves to be in a better anime franchise

salad was good when kishi was writing her but who knows if she will be treated well by this new anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, salad is kind of innately tragic. she is a ninja with a sharingan, so no matter how sane she might be now her eyehax will eventually turn her into an insane jerk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even without eyehax-based mental illness salad was raised in a broken home by her deranged, violent and obsessive mother. she's got a lot of baggage to overcome.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

loving Kabuto is literally running an orphanage in the city.

You know the guy who is literally responsible for the entire back half of the arc by resurrecting the body of Madara. Without him it would have just been Obito, and he would have gotten friendship'd so hard.

no one else was going to take care of those orphans, because konoha hates orphans

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm ready for the sasuke sucks so loving much arc

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I question the need for an arc centered around making GBS threads on Sakura

sakura's life choices poo poo on her enough

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sakura isn't nearly as bad a parent as sasuke, though she's still not great what with her violent, uncontrollable rages.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
actually, while sasuke is still a deadbeat who totally has a second family somewhere, he was right to stay the heck away from salad. he totally would have screwed her up way worse than sakura ever could. given his many, many flaws as a person sasuke did the best he could.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chocho ain't got no time for the usual uchiha bullshit, so salad had to mostly drop it just to keep up with such a high-energy friend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the reason no one would give sarada a straight answer is because they didn't want to explain to her that everyone kind of hates her dad, with good reason. well, except sakura. that's a whole different mess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mostly he is just an rear end in a top hat who treats the people who care about him like garbage. see also: the latest episode of bort.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I know it's incredibly complicated, especially when you factor in that apparently Itachi had some sort of terminal illness like stage 4 ninja cancer. But considering Itachi's death made Sasuke go "gently caress Konoha I'm gonna destroy that village" rather than what Itachi intended, well... I guess a least he comes to his senses eventually!

naruto had to beat the stupid out of him, and even then it only made sasuke slightly less of an rear end in a top hat. he has messenger birds that he sends into konoha, but has not contacted sakura at all for more than 10 years!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Umbreon posted:

He apparently does have electronic communication devices, he just frequently goes to places where he can't keep them charged.

no, that conversation stated that he didn't carry them because he didn't have the opportunity to charge them. hence the messenger birds. but my point is, sasuke easily could have stayed in touch with his family even if he was intent on staying away so that the village wouldn't turn against them. he never did because he doesn't care about sakura and salad and likely has another family somewhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orochimaru knew that any child of his would have a hard time being accepted by the world, so despite growing mitsuki in a tube orochimaru still tried to find a way for mitsuki to be happy and successful. the method he devised was to imitate sasuke. sasuke is a huge piece of poo poo that no one likes, but he is grudgingly tolerated because the beloved hero naruto is on his side. so, orochimaru sent mitsuki in to latch on to naruto's kid. big o is an ancient gross snakey pedophile monster but he still did his best for his kid. and heck, his plan seems to be working!

by contrast, sasuke doesn't seem to have thought about salad at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

I like how Sasuke doesn't even recognize her, because somehow neither he, Naruto, or Sakura ever thought to send pictures of her along with his secret bird mail.

i think naruto just kinda assumed that sasuke was in contact with his family. why would naruto be the one to send pictures to sasuke when he was obviously corresponding with his wife, as people who aren't giant pieces of poo poo do?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, because piccolo is a good dad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Eeeh, I think that's underplaying it. They were on a team together. They worked together, they trained together, they saved each other's lives more than a couple of times and before everything in Sasuke's life went to poo poo with Itachi showing up they were actually pretty good friends underneath the bitching and snarking. Team 7 was the closest thing Naruto ever had to a family so its not at all weird that he's insanely attached to and protective of all of them.

they only spent time together up until the forest part of the chuunin exam, most of which one or both of them spent unconscious. afterward, kakashi immediately whisked sasuke away, and they met what, 2, 3 times between then and when sasuke betrayed the village? i wouldn't really call a handful of situations where the two of them had to cooperate or die the basis of a friendship. their 'friendship' is mostly based on naruto's fascination with the only other orphan he knew growing up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
girl likes an idiot, eventually manages to get through to said idiot, they get married and live happily.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

does anybody else here try to struggle thru the boruto manga, lol its so ugly

ha, no.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ino randomly hooked up with a brainwashed double child soldier (double because they are all already child soldiers) with stunted emotions, social skills and sense of self. this was a serious step up from her schoolgirl crush on the local bad boy, and she seems to have lived a very happy life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because we have literally seen nothing of their relationships.

you can infer a lot about their home lives from how their kids behave. well, except lee's. i have no fuckin' clue what his marriage is like, if it even exists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
since they have clans presumably they adopt spouses into them. granted, we never actually saw more than a single family for most of these supposed clans, but w/e. they weren't terribly important.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd like to see a scene where naruto introduces kurama to his kids

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aurora posted:

boruto will probably be good once they're past the movie

counterpoint: once they are past the movie they will start adapting the manga, which is very much not good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
supposedly salad gaiden was about her reconciling with her horrible parents, but then she came out of it thinking that naruto was awesome and that she wants to be like him. i really think that the message was supposed to be "your parents are actually great even if they seem like huge assholes" rather than "even if your parents suck they are still your parents, but you can still make your own choices in life", which is hilarious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sakura's an alright mom.

she dissembled and lied to salad all her life, refusing to provide even one straight answer about sasuke. you'd think sasuke fan #2 (naruto is still #1) would have been able to find at least one nice to say about him over the course of a decade. when salad finally had enough of that poo poo and really pushed, sakura threw a violent tantrum. like, sakura's not abusive or neglectful but she is still a hot mess.

i can kind of understand, though. if sakura valued communication she wouldn't have formed a lifelong obsession for a guy who is completely unwilling to communicate with her. so, her inability to talk to her kid is part of her values. not talking is what she perceives as affection, because she is hosed in the head. plus, you know, shounen fighting manga. communication doesn't do poo poo unless it is preceded by magic fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
true, but sakura still somehow thinks sasuke is wonderful. i'm kind of surprised she doesn't tell everyone about how romantic the time he tried to murder her was.

it's a good reason why no one else was willing to talk about him, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the first friends sai ever made liked to go on about how perfect sasuke is like they were part of a cult. i think he just went along with it to be polite. likewise, ino clearly got over sasuke at some point during the time skip, but she pretended otherwise to humor sakura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not too surprising, really. sasuke wasn't around to be a profound disappointment and sakura is a mess, so salad had to be the level-headed, responsible one in the house.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems like sakura never answered any tough questions at all, which is why salad didn't even rely on her while researching sharingan. now there's a real important conversation that the two of them should have had long ago, but spouting vague platitudes is only helpful for placating a toddler. sakura makes a big show of dressing herself and salad with uchiha-marked clothes at all times but never bothered to explain what that even means. like, does salad know anything about itachi, obito and madara?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can understand not wanting to go into obito, since trying to make excuses for history's greatest monster to a child would be really hard. but madara? the most famous uchiha who ever lived, who went to war against the world and almost won, whose history is deeply connected to konoha and the uchiha clan? *sakura waves her hands so hard she destroys her house yet again*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, ninjas are fuckin' useless when the world is at peace. like, where does konoha even get its income now that they aren't in the business of renting out mercenary wizards?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every time the past mist village was mentioned, they were crazy murder-happy folks, even by ninja standards. but i guess that wouldn't have worked for the ninja alliance story, so at some point they completely reformed without anyone ever mentioning it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the bort manga started with the events of the movie and went from there. salad gaiden was made by kishi as a standalone, as was the hokage ceremony. everything else has been anime-original, and this will continue until the anime gets to the events of the movie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Shikadai looks exactly like Shikamaru, and Inojin looks exactly like Ino, with his genin outfit looking like how Sai dressed in Shippuden.

Chocho looks nothing like her dad, however. You'd have to know that he married Karui to make that connection.

that's just because you aren't looking at her soul (bag of chips)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
normally people have last names so that their first names don't have to be minor variations on those of their parents.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you'd think every ninja would be taught some form of martial arts, but nope.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

Fair, though you'd think that since Naruto was busy being Hokage Hinata probably would have at least trained him somewhat.

he also has a grandpa and an aunt who would fuckin' jump at the chance to train him.

it'd be neat but everyone including kishi tends to forget bort is supposed to be a hyuga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rasengan was supposed to be the base for elemental versions, but minato died before he got that far. it's unclear how he viewed the basic version, but considering how ridiculous the dude was it probably wasn't up to his standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tenten got plenty of focus in the best thing to come out of naruto, rock lee's springtime of youth.