Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
That flash forward sure is a way to open your new lighthearted series.

Anyway, series has promise imo, as long as it takes like a hundred episodes to get to the flash forward.

Would've been better if Boruto and Himawari were twins, or at least if one of them was born in January and the other in December of the same year, so they could still start school at the same time.
I wonder how Shikadai is gonna differ from his dad, because at this point he literally looks like the same person, only 20 years younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I wish Boruto just had regular byakugan and a more Hyuga-like skillset. That would've made more sense even, since Naruto is apparently mostly absent from his life, and Hinata would've had all the time in the world to train him.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Dexo posted:

Obito and Shisui were cool

Obito's endlessly repeated flashbacks and general turboedge was the worst part of the latter parts of shippuuden.

And I had to check the wiki to even remember who Shisui is. I still don't really remember him.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

Considering they're still in school and Mitsuki is only just now getting introduced I'd say this series takes place before the Boruto movie (which I kind of hope they don't revisit or at the very least they handle it in a slightly different way, it was bad enough having to put up with it in the manga).

The first half of the movie was really good imo, it just kinda went to poo poo when they went full DBZ in the second half. If this series takes the second half of that movie in a different direction, it could be very good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Boruto is extremely twelve years old.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean technically you cannot lose the sharigan because eyes are apparently interchangeable.

I mean a twelve year old once changed them out.

I'll put my money on no more than 100 episodes until Sarada has at least one of Sasuke's eyes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Metal is obviously Gai and Rock's son.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Adult Naruto is maybe the best thing about Boruto tbh. I liked him a lot after the timeskip, and he's even better as an adult.
Pity he's definitely gonna die horribly to give his son some pathos.

I don't think Sakura is a terrible mom though. Sure, Sarada is a bit of a latch key kid since she has to work a lot, but she does her best. I think you can be forgiven for putting off The Talk, when The Talk is about how daddy used to be literally ISIS and should probably have been executed for war crimes.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Himawari had better end up being like the 10th hokage.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Naruto's best friends are Shikamaru, Choji, Rock Lee, Kiba, Sai and Shino because like good friends they got him shitfaced before he lost his true freedom, and got him home to safety.

It's this tbh. Sasuke is only Naruto's "best friend" in the most technical sense. They never hang out, and they've never hung out since before Sasuke left the village. Literally the only thing their relationship has going for it is that they're the only ones that are as strong as each other.
Naruto's crush on Sasuke would've made a lot more sense if it was actually a romantic crush, but as it is I dunno what he sees in the guy.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Karen told Suigetsu to go apologize to Sarada.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
They need another world war so that the next generation can get strong enough to kill god.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think they are in the business of renting out mercenary wizards still. Business might not be as booming as it used to be, though?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think Mist was the village where each would-be genin had to kill a classmate to graduate.
Which in addition to being extremely edgy mainly just seems like a good way to reduce your army by half for no good reason.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The movie takes place during the chuunin exams, and the kids aren't even genin yet. Surely it's gonna be quite a while still.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

So we finally got a new opening theme this week and it's looking like this Kagura guy is going to be sticking around for a while past the current arc.

I think he's probably gonna be a recurring character at most. Like Gaara in Boruto's Dad's series.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I dunno, I think I could've hazarded a guess that Shikadai was probably Shikamaru's son even without knowing his name.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This was the best episode of Naruto I've seen in years.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I dunno how "basically a stick of dynamite on a stick" is supposed to work tbh.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

Boruto used a Hyuga-style technique

He did? When?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

Fair, though you'd think that since Naruto was busy being Hokage Hinata probably would have at least trained him somewhat.

You'd think, but then his skillset wouldn't be a copy of naruto's, and then where would we be?!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Probably because even within the same village, a lot of clans didn't really trust each other. Also, I think the Hyuuga in particular thought they needed to keep their bloodline pure for their children to get the byakugan at all.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There is a bunch of lame stuff in naruto, like the chakra gundams, but Naruto's power level growth is one of the better parts of the series imo. He has to work pretty hard, and come up with patchwork solutions to his flaws (mostly poor chakra control), in order to become strong enough once he stops relying on the fox.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

My main worry about Boruto is how OP everything gets and the magical chakra people are the main villains? Aren't those some of the worst parts of Naruto?

Yeah, it's worrying, but so far Boruto has been better than Naruto ever was, and there's certainly a chance of it staying that way. Maybe when we get to the flash-forward stuff from the first episode, all the people capable of Gundam no Jutsu will be dead.

Besides, even when the power level bullshit was in full effect, I still enjoyed Naruto.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Byakugan is indeed the weakest eye power, but it's still pretty good. It lets you see pretty far, gives you something like a 350° cone of vision and also makes you real good at seeing chakra. It's not great in comparison but that's only because the other eyes are loving bullshit.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wouldn't it be nice if all the side characters stayed relevant and powerful enough to be useful in important fights all throughout the series, instead of being relegated to mook killing duty halfway through while Boruto has all the fun?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
No real way of knowing tbh, since we never see anyone else fight properly.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Lee only knows taijutsu, he's too 1 sided. Shikamaru is too lazy to care. It's Sakura cause she's a Tsunade clone with strength and healing abilities. Choji is also super strong.

Hinata is a 5 tool prospect that never reaches her potential because she was made into a waifiu instead.

Gai only knew taijutsu, and he just about killed the final boss of the anime.

Well, penultimate, but I'm sure he was supposed to be the last before Jump decided they wanted a few more months of chapters.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It doesn't entirely excuse all the war crimes, but I really think it's pretty understandable how much the four ninja nations distrusted each other, and by extension how willing they were to backstab each other when they'd all been basically living in the sengoku period for the past 100 or so years. Or longer? I'm not sure we're ever really given a good sense for how long the war has been going on, even before the nations were formed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he can be in far more than two places at once, so why couldn't he be in exactly two?

He probably is all over the village, and possibly outside too, at all times.

The story would make more sense if they showed him do a lot more stuff with his clones at any given time, including taking on dangerous missions by sending a clone or two.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Mitsuki is open about his feelings for Boruto. Sarada is tsundere.

Boruto will end up marrying Class Rep.
Mitsuki will end up making his own children.
Sarada will end up forever alone with only her edge to keep her company.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Metal's mother is Gai.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Yeah, this team 7 so far is much better than the last, which basically worked by Naruto and Sasuke kinda just doing their own thing while Sakura watched and got scared a lot.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Sakura is the kid everyone tells is really smart because she aces tests in middle school, so she stops studying in high school and drops out of college.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

does she ever actually do anything though

She doesn't kill anyone important, but she probably saved a few thousand people with her snail healing stuff in the war. And she made a new arm for Naruto. (Or was that Tsunade? I forget.)

And I guess she punched god once so narusasu could seal her.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I deeply hope they completely remove the latter half of the movie's plot and replace it with something completely different.

Also I don't really get why those fancy new bracer things aren't allowed in the exam. They're just weapons, no different from swords or knives, and they allow those.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm not sure if dripping nose or crying is the worst super power.

And I'm also not sure if there's anything weirder than staying up all night making unironic fursuits for your team.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if boruto/sarada or wasabi/namida have lamer lovers quarrels.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Being a catgirl is a pretty good superpower tbh.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's leagues better than Naruto ever was tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI6hkOxz-yY
Looking back, naruto was actually just so bad it's good. If I hadn't been literally 14 when I started watching it I wouldn't have gotten past the first 10 episodes.

Remember the flashbacks? The flashbacks in flashbacks to flashbacks you saw last episode? Jesus christ shippuuden dragged things out mercilessly.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I didn't know what anime filler was until I was like 50 episodes into the pre-timeskip filler block and I asked the internet why the show got so loving dire right after the fight by the waterfall.

I tried watching some of the shippuuden filler, and while it wasn't as actively terrible as the earlier stuff, it was still bad and I skipped nearly all of it.