Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Relin posted:

should mention kishimoto is only involved in an advisory role, the artist and writer are someone else

it seems really weird to me that orochimaru got a redemption arc and that it thematically continues with his spawn

given the monthly release schedule for the comic (and 10 chapters), this should be more fillerific than naruto sounds like it was

Apparently this is going to be completly seperate from the manga and will instead be following its own story (which makes sense given the manga's current release schedule and the fact that the first 9 chapters are just an adaption of the Boruto movie only with worse artwork).

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't have much interest in Naruto but Boruto is the best name I've ever heard for an anime.

Technically Boruto and Sarada are just the Japanese pronunciations of their actual names (Bolt and Salad). Most translators just seem to leave them as is though (plus spelling them that way also makes them a verbal pun on their parents' names).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

salad was good when kishi was writing her but who knows if she will be treated well by this new anime

Well at least they're sticking with her original design rather than what she looks like in the current manga so that's good at least. Hope she gets handled well enough but I'm not holding my breath. By the way, how much involvement does Kishimoto actually have in this series (or, to go back to the Dragon Ball analogy, are we looking at a potential GT or a Super)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 2, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Kishimoto is involved in that he created the idea of Boruto, but the manga is written by Ukyo Kodachi.The anime is supposed to go a different direction than the manga, though. Kishimoto is still involved in some sort of way (probably has creative input), and he's not completely divorced from the series like Toriyama was with DBGT. So hopefully it's more of a Super than a GT. He's done interviews about the show and says that he wants it to be more lighthearted than how Naruto ended, but it's somewhat of a reboot in that he wants younger viewers to be able to enjoy the show again.

That's a pretty good sign actually, hope the show manages to follow through on that (plus, returning to something more akin to the original series is probably for the best seeing as by the end of things in Shippuden the characters started being less like ninjas and more like wizards).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It better as the manga is implying that abort becomes an edge lord and we don't need more of that.

Also, aside from the Gaiden chapters that came out before there really isn't much in the manga that could be adapted at this point considering it started with a retelling of the movie, only comes out on a monthly basis and is only just now starting on original content.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first episode began with the same flash forward the manga did (an older Boruto fighting some edgelord in a destroyed Leaf Village) but the rest was entirely new content so I guess at least some aspects of the manga are being adapted after all (including Sarada's outfit unfortunately, though it didn't seem quite as offensive looking here). Still not a bad start though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 5, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second episode was actually pretty good, it reminded me of the original series in some ways (we also meet Inojin in this one who seems to have inherited Sai's bluntness, next week we get to see if Metal Lee is just as entertaining as his dad was). Hopefully this kind of thing will be the norm from here on.

I do like that the show is pretty much exclusively focused on the kids while the old gaurd is kept more to the background, gives the new characters a chance to shine for once. While we know from the flash forward at the beginning of the premiere there's going to be another time jump eventually, hopefully they'll keep things at the current light-hearted fare for at least the first 100 episodes.

While they could easily gently caress things up later on so far this show is better than I expected.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 12, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

This anime is a weird mix of the pleasentness of early Naruto, with some new characters I'm surprised I actually like - the delinquent kinda gives me a Jojo character vibe, and the rich kid is a nice way to explain things - and the apprehension that comes with seeing the flashback and knowing all of this will inevitably go to poo poo as we spiral into the maelstrom of eyehax bullshit.

Yeah, so far this show has actually managed to capture the feel of the early days of Naruto surprisingly well (and I'm sort of curious where they're going with the whole underlying plot of the black chakra or whatever it is, even though it'll probably end up being dissapointing and/or stupid) and so far I would still say it's far better than the manga version.

Hopefully we still have a ways to go before things start getting super dark though (I'm guessing it will be since they're still in the academy and Mitsuki hasn't even been introduced yet). The fact they even still used the same flashforward as the manga (plus the whole Borutogan thing our lead's got going on) worries me though but for now though the show is much better than I expected and I'll keep watching.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 20, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

A lot of the show doesn't make any sense to get away with more pandering. It would have been cool if he had a skillset derived from learning from Naruto's friends and teachers, but instead he just has Naruto's skills implying he spent considerable time with him teaching him. Except the show explicitly acts like he didn't.

Oh well. To be honest this show is as charming as early Naruto without Sasuke's emo proclamations I don't mind. Even this episode, which I thought was going to be awful, came out fun.

The fact that there is no Sasuke-like character to drag things down (yet at least) is a major plus yes. So far I actually like this series better than Shippuden and am interested in seeing where things go from here (hopefully things won't go completly off the rails as we get further in though). I hope Sarada doesn't eventually fall into the usual Uchiha trap of doing something insanely stupid later on though (or at the very least I hope she ends up being more like her uncle than her dad).

Also kudos to the writers for not taking this episode in the direction I thought it was going to go based on the title and last week's preview.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 26, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Obito and Shisui were cool

Itachi at least had some sense in him, though he is still the one directly responsible for Sasuke turning out the way he did (in his defense, knowing what we know now about the Uchiha maybe thinning out their numbers was a good idea in the long run). Obito started out decent but we all know what happened to him. Then again, we haven't seen many female Uchiha in action so maybe Salad will turn out ok (though I doubt it considering who her parents are).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

even without eyehax-based mental illness salad was raised in a broken home by her deranged, violent and obsessive mother. she's got a lot of baggage to overcome.

Yeah good point, Sakura isn't exactly known for making the best decisions in her life and Sasuke is basically a hobo now (and it's only thanks to Naruto and Kakashi that he's not dead or imprisoned for life). With all that it's actually kind of surprising that Salad is in as good a mental condition as she is currently. But who knows, she might still somehow be the one who ends up breaking the cycle.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

It's a Nue, I think? One of those ape/tiger/snake yokai. I don't actually know any of the stuff that's mentioned in the other spin-offs so I may be way off base here, but that's the first thing that came to mind. Hope I'm right though, they always sounded neat and I can't think of any other animated appearances they've made.

So, two questions: who's the purple girl playing the Hinata role despite not being related to her? And who'd the fat kid from the first series end up marrying?

Boruto's class president (I forget her name but she's exclusive to this series) and Choji ended up marrying some Cloud ninja whose name I also forget (I don't think the two characters ever interacted with each other once in the entire series actually, even in anime filler).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

I am probably not gonna watch this but I assume everyone has loving eyehax?

Just the title character so far and his has barely been used all that much. It's a fun show actually, way more remniscent of early Naruto than it is Shippuden (though it still has the potential to go downhill fast if that flashforward we saw in the beginning is any indication).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I actually think Chouji marrying someone he would meet but not something we saw happen on screen is a good thing. I don't think Boruto is going to do it, but exploring the peace years and things that happened to the old cast creates a more vibrant story. I hope Metal Lee's mom is some totally normal ninja from like, I don't know, the Hidden Mist. Or Orochimaru cloned Rock Lee.
It's not even really eyehax. So far he can use the chakra detection skills of basic eye stuff. I don't think Sarada has hers yet? I legitimately can't remember when this series "is".

This is some seriously low powered ninja poo poo. Sai's kid wears overalls you'd see on a six year old. That's how low powered this series is so far.

Considering they're still in school and Mitsuki is only just now getting introduced I'd say this series takes place before the Boruto movie (which I kind of hope they don't revisit or at the very least they handle it in a slightly different way, it was bad enough having to put up with it in the manga).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

The first half of the movie was really good imo, it just kinda went to poo poo when they went full DBZ in the second half. If this series takes the second half of that movie in a different direction, it could be very good.

True, if they change things up a bit ala the movie arcs in Dragon Ball Super they could be able to salvage things a bit. I also hope they eventually adapt the Salad Gaiden manga if only for the humor value.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Sure it means we are probably gonna get the most magic eye bullshit later.

But Boy that episode of Boruto was amusing.

Well the Byakugan was probably the one eye power that didn't get a whole lot of focus in the original series so there's that at least.

In fact, Boruto should use more Hyuga techniques considering that since Naruto is busy with Hokage stuff it makes more sense that Hinata would have handled the majority of his initial training.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this series has been surprisingly good so far (to the point where I'd almost say this franchise is better off in the hands of the anime writers than it was with Kishimoto). It's still early so there's plently of time for them to screw things up but so far it seems we've avoided another GT at the very least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm wondering if they will pull a Super and make episodes based on the movie.

Probably seeing as it's canon to the story and the anime started a little earlier in the timeline. If they do I hope they do what Super did and change things up a little rather than just doing a straight adaption, but we'll see. I'm betting we'll be getting an adaption of the Salad Gaiden and Mitsuki's Origin mangas later on as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 25, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Love Annie May posted:

At least the anime is still good. This week episode featured Boruto delivering mail.

Yeah, this is almost a case like Dragon Ball Super where the anime is better than the manga in pretty much every aspect. Of course we're only 10 episodes in at this point so there's still plenty of time for things to go south but it's been surprisingly decent so far (better than Shippuden at the very least).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We seem to be coming down to the end of the first arc of this series now. I'll admit, I didn't really see that twist coming. I swear, Kakashi is the only character in this show that never seems to age, he looks exactly the same in pretty much every season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I powered through the available episodes of the anime on the weekend to have something to listen to and... it was actually enjoyable? Like drat, as far as I'm concerned these 14 episodes could have been released as Boruto Gaiden instead of Sarada's Wild Ride and I'd have enjoyed it just as much. Side characters were used competently (Sai of all people got to complete a character arc!), there was actual worldbuilding instead of awkward exposition, and the overall message wasn't thrown out the window for an Uchiha hijack.

The only problem with it is that Boruto feels like a completely different character than the one in the movie. And by that I mean that he's a much better character and I'd be entirely fine with pretending Boruto was just a 14/15 episode series and that dumbass prologue never happened.

It still could as the Boruto series takes place before the movie (at the current time anyway). I kind of hope they don't rehash it in the series like the manga did though (or if they do, change things up enough to make it interesting). Plus, this is just the end of the first arc of the show if the flash forward at the beginning is anything to go by, there's still plenty more to come (plus there's some manga stuff like Sarada Gaiden and Mitsuki's backstory they could use if they wanted).

There's plenty of time for things to start going downhill but I've been enjoying this so far (it's almost on the level of Pre-Shippuden Naruto in fact).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not sure why I started watching this but I did, and in episode 4 I heard the voices of Mami and Tomomi from SCANDAL as random background characters

I dont know anything about this series, I barely made it into Shipuden but I recognize the parents of most of the kids. Is the manga running along side this series roughly the same? It looks like it's coming out once a month only which makes me truly afraid this series is going to go into filler hell before it even hits episode 30

No, at this point at least the anime and manga are completely separate stories.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Once we get further in I'm guessing they'll start bringing in some manga content (the new ending pretty much confirms that Sarada Gaiden is getting adapted soon for example). Hell, it might even be the next major arc of the series.

They're probably going to rehash the movie at some point too (Though if they do I hope they just do a complete redo of the script while keeping the basic concepts, the anime has added in a few new characters to the cast that weren't present in the original film after all so they're almost gonna have to change things a bit).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good episode today, at first I thought it was going to just be a rehash of something that's already been animated (The Day Naruto Became Hokage one-shot manga) but fortunately that only took up like the first 8 minutes of the episode. Salad Gaiden is the next official story arc as I figured based on the current ED and starts next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this arc getting animated for a while. Not because of the stupid one-note villain mind you but because of how hilariously dumb things get (Sasuke almost killing his daughter because he barely recognizes her, Sarada thinking Karin is her mom just because they both wear glasses and the general trolling of the fanbase overall. among other things) plus it further emphasizes how both Sasuke and Sakura are terrible parents/people in their own ways. This should be fun to watch.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sakura isn't nearly as bad a parent as sasuke, though she's still not great what with her violent, uncontrollable rages.

And her string of poor life choices. But yeah, it's impressive that Sarada is as well adjusted as she is considering all the baggage she has to carry. I wonder if this means she'll somehow manage to avoid the usual misery that comes from being born an Uchiha (or at the very least, ends up being more like her Uncle Itachi).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I'll put my money on no more than 100 episodes until Sarada has at least one of Sasuke's eyes.

In fact, she'll be getting her Sharingan in this very arc (though I don't think she does anything significant with it).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Judging by the latest manga chapter introducing an actual important threat I'm guessing we're eventually going to see the show fully adapt the manga?

this whole production is weird

Eventually but probably not for a while. We're on Sarada Gaiden right now, the kids still need to be put on a team together and then they're most likely gonna rehash the movie again (hopefully changing things up a bit this time to at least account for the new characters the anime introduced) and then once that's done we'll probably finally start getting some main manga content.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Orochimaru just rolled a clone for him.

Shino doesn't get anybody, though.

Neither does Tenten who is currently running a weapon shop nobody visits.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

A Lee is never born, they just appear and the previous Lee instinctively begins to train them.

I'm still not convinced that Rock Lee isn't Gai's illegitimate son (they look almost exactly alike and we never do see Lee's family in the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 24, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

Adult Naruto is maybe the best thing about Boruto tbh. I liked him a lot after the timeskip, and he's even better as an adult.
Pity he's definitely gonna die horribly to give his son some pathos.

I don't think Sakura is a terrible mom though. Sure, Sarada is a bit of a latch key kid since she has to work a lot, but she does her best. I think you can be forgiven for putting off The Talk, when The Talk is about how daddy used to be literally ISIS and should probably have been executed for war crimes.

Yeah, as I recall the only reason Sasuke isn't dead or imprisoned for life right now (and by association, why Sarada exists at all) is because of Naruto and Kakashi putting in a good word for him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like anything short of a prison built out of Naruto clones would be able to keep Sasuke imprisoned anywhere anyway.

Not without them surgically removing his eyes anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

On the other hand Sasuke couldn't be assed to go to either Naruto's wedding or his inauguration.

If nothing else, he is devoted to being the worst friend imaginable.

And yet despite all that and the whole deadbeat dad issue he's still a somewhat more tolerable character now than he was in his previous incarnations (in fact, I'd actually say the resolution to his final fight with Naruto was handled better in the anime than it was in the manga).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

hey! naruto didn't go to his inauguration either

Ah right, technically Konohamaru is the 7th Hokage but nobody needs to know that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

girl likes an idiot, eventually manages to get through to said idiot, they get married and live happily.

Yeah, if anything that's one of the healthiest relationships we've seen in this series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ino randomly hooked up with a brainwashed double child soldier (double because they are all already child soldiers) with stunted emotions, social skills and sense of self. this was a serious step up from her schoolgirl crush on the local bad boy, and she seems to have lived a very happy life.

That's a good point actually, Sai's a little lacking in social skills thanks to his upbringing but he's a good dad and is actually there for her and their son. Sakura, meanwhile, married her childhood crush who proceeded to return to his self-imposed exile after their daughter was born leaving Sakura behind to raise her alone (and keep in mind that Sarada only just met her father in the most recent episode who barely recognized her at first).

Yeah, I'd say Ino actually ended up coming out on top overall.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

Wasn't Sai just a fake name and he didn't have a last name before? Makes sense to just take Inos then.

Yeah, unless it was revealed in some kind of supplementary material I don't think Sai ever had a real name. His first name was borrowed from Danzo so it would make sense that he'd borrow a last name from Ino.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cams posted:

they should just write boruto off the show, send him to clown college or something. make sarada the star of the show.

Yeah, I never thought I'd say this about the series but in this case the Uchiha is probably the best character on the show so far (she's at least one of the more well-adjusted members of the family we've seen so far, which is saying a lot considering who her parents are).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 7, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

I don't hate the Original Manga stuff so far. But the art is traaaaaaash

So if they keep the key art not trash It'll likely be decent.

The anime's still being done in Kishimoto's art style rather than the guy working on the manga so as long as they keep that consistent I doubt there's any reason to worry about that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Sakura's a fine mom under the circumstances and Sasuke is a bad dad but given that his own dad was kind of a prick and that he spent like five years associating "family" with "murder the gently caress out of" it's not shocking that he has no idea what he's doing

Yeah, given the circumstances staying out of his daughter's life as much as possible is probably the best thing Sasuke can do for Sarada at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Salad never found out what's better than a kiss! Speaking of whuch, Sakura totally wanted some dick, but Sasuke denied her.

She might have been referring to the forehead poke, which is sad if true (then again this is Sasuke we're talking about here, I guess Sakura just takes what she can get at this point).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 8, 2017