Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

In the flashback, Salad asks her mom what's better than a kiss, and Sakura starts to blush. To me, it's one of those "kids will interpret it as a forehead poke, but adults will interpret it differently."

They make that joke as well (when Sakura first mentions it Salad pauses for a moment before calling her mother a pervert).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have we actually seen the Hidden Mist village to this extent in the series before (I don't remember if the Zabuza arc actually took place there or not)?

I also liked that one scene where Boruto and the gang were essentially playing Ninja Uno.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dryzen posted:

Greetings, whoever is holding the next OP back please set it free

We could probably stand to get a new ED too now that the Salad Gaiden arc is over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

The movie takes place during the chuunin exams, and the kids aren't even genin yet. Surely it's gonna be quite a while still.

Yeah, Boruto still needs to graduate and get put on a team with Sarada and Mitsuki first (which I'm guessing is gonna happen fairly soon at this rate).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the only manga related content so far was the flashforward at the very beginning, Salad Gaiden, and the Hokage Ceremony which was an expanded version of the final chapter of the original Naruto manga.

We're not even in the same time frame as the Boruto manga at this point (the manga is also only released monthly which would be very hard to adapt into an anime if they were playing this straight).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

dunno if the Jump Festa OVA already made the rounds but i just watched it and it was kinda disappointing. i liked the chunky linework it had, and it was about 50% chouchou being her fabulous self, but the "fight" was atrocious. i just figured for a promotional short thing like this they'd want (and be able to) put their best foot forward for some decent action animation.

I didn't even know there was a new OVA, what's it about?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So we finally got a new opening theme this week and it's looking like this Kagura guy is going to be sticking around for a while past the current arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I think he's probably gonna be a recurring character at most. Like Gaara in Boruto's Dad's series.

Probably, he's apparently important enough to get a spot in the new OP at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The current chapter also seems to confirm that the anime and manga are in direct continuity with each other (Boruto mentions taking a field trip to the Hidden Mist back in his academy days which is of course the focus of the current anime arc).

As such, going by today's episode apparently the Curry of Life arc from the original (or Raiga at the very least) is now canon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I think the swordsmen were revealed in the manga (and Raiga had an appearance, so he's been canon since that appearance) but not a lot of information was given about most of their swords, other than Zabuza's, samehada, and Chojuro's. Most of the details surrounding the seven swordsmen were anime only.

I know his swords appeared in the manga during the Ninja War being used by his predecessor, but I don't recall Raiga himself ever making a cameo (I could be wrong though).

I suppose it could be possible that he was actually thought up by Kishimoto for some kind of supplementary material and the anime writers just decided to actually use him for a story arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

He did, there was another flashback to Guy's dad that he appeared in.

He's one of the rare people in the original series who made the jump from the anime to the manga. The only others I can think of off hand were two Uchiha elders who appeared in a Sasuke flashback.

Ah, my mistake then. On the reverse side, there was that girl from the Sand who had a crush on Gaara. She only appeared in one panel of the manga but was expanded upon in the anime. Fu (the host for the Seven-Tails) also only had a small cameo in the manga but was fleshed out a lot more by the anime writers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 18, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

"Inojin" and "Shikadai" are such bad names.

Eh, still better than Sakura naming her daughter "Salad".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

They had to force the Ino-Shika-Cho connection somehow. And at least Ino and Sai tried to give him a name; Ino's own parents clearly didn't bother.

Yeah, didn't Ino, Shikamaru, and Chouji's dads all have similar names to their kids as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

Inochi, Shikaku, Chouza

Meaning the current generation is just par for the course as far as those families go then, makes sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When was the last time we actually saw the Sharingan get used for its original purpose (that is, copying techniques)?

I swear, this show is almost like the anti-GT. Both are continuations of established properties done by different writers with little to no involvement from the original creator and both try to incorporate elements from the previous 2 installments into its stories, only here those elements are used in a way that shows the writers actually understand them.

In fact, I think some of the stuff in this show so far is actually better than the Naruto manga (or the later half of it at any rate), it's kind of impressive.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

this episode kicked rear end

Indeed, I think that bit towards the end might have been one of the first times Boruto ever used a Hyuga-style technique (which he should honestly do more often as it wouldn't make much sense for him to just have his dad's skills but nothing else).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

He did? When?

When he did the clone attack on whatshisface (Kisame's son), Boruto hit him with an open palm (so not a Hyuga technique per se but probably the closest we've seen from him so far). Still though, it'd be nice if he started using some moves from his mom's side of the family aside from that weird one-eyed Byakugan he had during the first arc.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

He didn't use a Hyuuga technique, but obviously from seeing his mom/aunt/grandfather fight he probably has open palm strikes in his fighting style.

Fair point, though you'd think that, since Naruto was busy being Hokage, Hinata probably would have at least trained him somewhat.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 1, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

The Hyuuga fit half of their family with magical seals that would mind rape them to death and burn their eyes out to make sure nobody could steal them.

Being violently secretive was kind of everyone's THING. The fact that the Yamanaka and Akemchi Hidden Jutsu are just casually being taught to the children of mixed clan marriages was one of the biggest signs that everyone has finally learned to chill the gently caress out under the guiding light of ninja Jesus.

Yeah, I'm guessing Naruto did away with that tradition pretty soon after becoming Hokage (if it hadn't been abolished beforehand that is). Though in regards to the second point, have we seen Inojin use any techniques from his mom's side of the family yet? Usually whenever we see him fight he tends to borrow from Sai's playbook instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexo posted:

It was abolished when neither Hinata or Hanabi got a curse mark.

I thought that was because they were both from the Main branch and Neji already got his? It probably happened before Naruto became Hokage though since neither Boruto or Himawari have one (not that Naruto would have allowed it to happen anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like that Kakashi doesn't seem to age, he just gets taller (seriously, he didn't look all that much different when he was a kid either).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Despite the excessive amounts of filler (which I'll admit, there are some arcs i actually kind of like) I actually think the Naruto anime (both of them) is better than the manga in some aspects, mostly due to the fight scenes and the fact they actually bother to explain some aspects the manga just sort of glosses over (such as Anko's connection with Orochimaru).

Hell, some characters like Tenten have gotten more screen time/development in a single episode of the anime then they have in the entire manga combined and despite being almost exclusively original material so far the Boruto anime has been surprisingly decent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tenten got plenty of focus in the best thing to come out of naruto, rock lee's springtime of youth.

That was good too. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the Sasuke-related follow up to that that was supposed to come out?

I just always found it weird that in the main manga she seemed more like a prop than she did an actual character. I think she's only shown actually fighting like twice in the entire thing, every other battle we typically just cut to the aftermath and leave the anime to fill in the details.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flytrap posted:

She was made to have a vagina.

No, really. Kishi made Lee and Neji and wanted to keep up the 2 boys 1 girl thing the teams had to he made Tenten on a whim and put 0 work into her character. Every bit of her characterization is the creation of Studio Pierrot and Springtime, to the point where Tenten at the end of the series is just her straight-man Sprintime chacter.

And it shows, aside from a line about her wanting to be a great female ninja like Tsunade (which is never mentioned again) she barely exists as far as the main manga is concerned (hell, I don't think she's shown up in Boruto at all yet). It's almost funny really, has there ever been a character in any other series that's as much of a non-entity as Tenten is?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 10, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dogsicle posted:

she was in the boruto movie, at least :sigh:

Ah that's right, she was one of the ones running the Chunin exams if I remember right. Though on that note, has Kiba shown up yet either?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Itachi had a girlfriend? :psyduck:

I think she was exclusive to the anime (though she may have been adapted from one of the light novels as well).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

Gai only knew taijutsu, and he just about killed the final boss of the anime.

Well, penultimate, but I'm sure he was supposed to be the last before Jump decided they wanted a few more months of chapters.

Unlike Lee, Gai knew ninjutsu as well (he summoned a turtle at least twice in the series) but taijutsu was generally all he preferred using.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I'm worried that they'll try to establish some kind of continuity and eventually adapt the manga, which has been bad.

It's already adapted the flash forward that started off the manga as well as Salad Gaiden so that's pretty much a given. Also, since about 90% of this show is anime-exclusive stuff can you really call it "filler" per se?

Now that Boruto's team will finally be formed next week I'm guessing there will be a few more arcs to establish their relationship and then they'll jump straight into adapting the movie (hopefully in a heavily altered format to account for the new cast members), after which we'll probably start getting some manga content. The manga has already established the anime is canon to its events after all. I agree that the anime-exclusive arcs have been much better so far though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 15, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The best thing about Boruto (still haven't watched yet) is that the artist realised that Naruto looks best in the jacket type thingy and that the tracksuits look best when the jacket is unzipped. These are the secrets for the best Uzumaki designs.

His Rock Lee looks bad though :saddowns:

:3:

e: Is Boruto seasonal like all the good animes these days?

The manga is once a month, the anime is weekly like the previous two shows were. But, kind of like is the case with Dragon Ball Super, the anime is the superior product of the two so you're probably better off just sticking with that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 16, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even so, Sai still ended up being a better husband/father than Sasuke ever was so I think Ino wound up coming out ahead in that regard (of course, if your main competition is Sakura that's not exactly a high bar to clear).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 27, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sarada will take after her mother, and find the worst possible person to marry. like i dunno, edo tensei danzou or something.

At best, she might finally achieve her dream of becoming Hokage (making her the first Uchiha to ever be considered for the position). Speaking of which, hope she doesn't wind up going nuts or something later down the line (or at the very least, she winds up taking after her late uncle more than her dad).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JahRoo posted:

I think there were a few points in that fight where sakura genuinely did something cool and unexpected. She was one to prepare the antidote (which even chiyo couldn't do), used her strength to merk both of his puppet bodies, and faked being poisoned to get an almost fight ending punch in. Of course she needed chiyo's help to win the fight, but I don't think that was a problem at that point in the story. Nobody was really strong enough to beat akatsuki members on their own, and it made sense that they needed the advantage of someone with insider knowledge.

The sasori fight was really frustrating though, because at the start of part 2 it really felt like kishi was gonna take sakura in a new direction and make her relevant in the fights moving forward, but after the rescue arc she regressed back to part 1 sakura.

Yeah, not counting movies and anime filler I think her only real accomplishment after that was beating up a Zetsu once. She also held her own for a little while against the Sound Ninjas in part 1 but still wound up having to be rescued anyway. Come to think of it, I believe the only female ninjas in this series besides Sarada that have had a modicum of success as far as fights go are Tsunade and Ino. Sarada is also an Uchiha, which means she has a lot more built-in advantages than her mom did as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 25, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, if you think about it Sakura in part 1 was actually lower on the totem pole in regards to fighting than even Tenten was. She has no actual skills beyond the very basics and what she does learn later all comes from Tsunade's playbook (which Sakura still never really uses quite as effectively).

Which kind of makes me wonder how Sarada learned to fight as effectively as she does considering her mom pretty much sucks and her dad is barely around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It does suck that Sakura never really develops a special skill of her own the way nearly every other character does (like I said, even Tenten is better at fighting than Sakura is initially and her role was basically "background prop that gets a few lines occasionally"). Though to be fair, the Rasengan/Chidori were technically borrowed techniques as well (the former coming from Minato/Jiraiya and the latter coming from Kakashi). Speaking of which, I kind of hope Sarada learns how to use Chidori eventually (if she hasn't already that is, I forget).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Salad basically gets the best of both world from her parents: super strong strength from her mom and eye hax from her dad. Bort so far has only shown partial strength from his dad (and his tenacity to inspire people, i guess) and nothing from his mom. It's pretty clear who the better one is.

He does tend to use a bit more Taijutsu in his fighting style (occasionally doing it open-palmed) so I guess you could say that's from his mom (he also had that weird one-eyed Byakugan at one point). But other than that no, he hasn't really used any Hyuga-style techniques yet, which is kind of weird considering that Hinata probably would have had more time to train him what with Naruto being busy as the Hokage and all. Conversely, Himawari hasn't been shown using anything from her dad's playbook yet, though to be fair we still haven't seen her actually fight yet beyond effortlessly kicking her brother's rear end a few times.

salad's most important trait is something she didn't get from either of her parents- mental stability

Let's hope it lasts, she is still an Uchiha after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 25, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

That is completely false. She develops super strength and the instant regeneration skill that basically makes her immortal for a short period of time. The only other person who has that is her teacher. She was in a support role like nearly every other character in the entire series. That's the nature of these sort of stories.

Fair, but technically that's not a unique skill since it came from Tsunade. That's all I was trying to say there (but it's better than nothing at the very least).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

Pretty sure it's the same thing that was in the movie.

Yeah, and from the looks of things the next major arc is going to be a remake of said movie (though we knew that was coming eventually).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mymla posted:

I deeply hope they completely remove the latter half of the movie's plot and replace it with something completely different.

Also I don't really get why those fancy new bracer things aren't allowed in the exam. They're just weapons, no different from swords or knives, and they allow those.

I think they've already said earlier that they will not just be doing a straight adaption of the movie and will be changing some things up a bit. They kind of have to considering the other characters that have been added to the plot since then and the fact that movie Boruto and series Boruto are almost two completely different characters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So why couldn't Naruto have just sent a Shadow Clone to his son's party at the very least? That aside, I like that they're basically remaking the movie from scratch rather than just doing a straight adaption. Which makes sense seeing as Movie Boruto and Series Boruto are almost two completely different characters at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think in the movie he did send a Shadow Clone which is what pissed him off there.

That was for Himawari's birthday which is still yet to come, and the only reason he found out was because it tripped and disappeared while carrying the cake.

Dexo posted:

Have you never been so busy that you forgot to make a call or send a text to give someone an update you said you would?

Fair point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 29, 2018