Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I powered through the available episodes of the anime on the weekend to have something to listen to and... it was actually enjoyable? Like drat, as far as I'm concerned these 14 episodes could have been released as Boruto Gaiden instead of Sarada's Wild Ride and I'd have enjoyed it just as much. Side characters were used competently (Sai of all people got to complete a character arc!), there was actual worldbuilding instead of awkward exposition, and the overall message wasn't thrown out the window for an Uchiha hijack.

The only problem with it is that Boruto feels like a completely different character than the one in the movie. And by that I mean that he's a much better character and I'd be entirely fine with pretending Boruto was just a 14/15 episode series and that dumbass prologue never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The manga being monthly along with its glacial pacing is the primary reason why the anime decided to take a different route. But despite how much Naruto may have traumatized you, you shouldn't consider the Boruto anime-exclusive storylines filler; like with Dragon Ball Super, the same writer is on both the manga and the anime.

So far the anime has been decidedly more low key than the manga, which has worked out for the better in just about every possible way if you ask me. Unless you really, really like drama I would ignore the manga entirely. The anime has made much better use of its cast (both old and new) and setting, and is just more... pleasant to watch, I guess? If you were a Naruto fan it's kinda enjoyable seeing the ways the new gen differs from the old, and it feels like the anime is taking its chance to rewrite or clarify some of the weirder things the movie and the manga established.

As an example, in episode... 13, I think, Boruto explains that up until Naruto became Hokage he was straight up Best Dad Ever and always around for his kids. So Boruto's anger with his dad taking his position so seriously changed from "spoiled kid who doesn't understand the importance of his dad's position" to "kid who doesn't understand why things have suddenly changed", which is much more sympathetic. Actually, Boruto in the anime is waaaaaay more sympathetic than just about any of his other portrayals, which is probably going to make the inevitable movie retelling weird as hell. I kinda hope they just rewrite that thing entirely.

Also episode 15 was nice. I liked how Boruto's scene at the beginning contrasted with his earlier obsession over attaining eyehax and how Shino's arc concluded. The ending implied Sarada Gaiden is next, so I guess I'll stick along to see how that trainwreck goes. But that scene with Not Vegeta and Not Nappa at the end still has me ready to bail out the second things get dumb.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Personally I kinda enjoy the contrast the show has been pushing between Boruto and Sarada. Boruto always has company around and has a cheerful home life (even with his issues with Naruto), and meanwhile the first focus episode with Sarada reveals that she always comes home to an empty house because Sakura works late hours and she mostly sticks to herself outside of class.

And yet she is still somehow the most emotionally well-adjusted Uchiha.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Chocho: "I'm chubby like my dad, I inherited his expansion jutsu, and have dark skin and the bright hair just like my mom. Clearly these people aren't my parents!"

I appreciate they added that bit from Chocho's childhood. Her whole "I don't think I'm related to my parents!!!" thing is supposed to be silly anyways, but at least she has the slightest of justifications behind it now. And it'll make the punchline at the end better too.

EDIT: Also I see the anime made no attempts to explain Sasuke's poo poo Parent status like it did with Naruto. And you know what? I'm glad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 25, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, Naruto had no idea just how bad Sasuke and Sakura were at being parents. It's a legitimate extension of one of his more enduring character traits: assuming his friends are better people than they really are.

It's like how the root of his issues with Boruto come from his shonen protagonist mandated trait of giving everything 120% effort, even when he really doesn't have to. Remember when Shikamaru told him he should just stay with his family instead of helping with the Nue? And how even though Naruto went anyways, he turned out to be useless?

It's things like that that make me respect Adult Naruto as a character. An honest effort was put into fleshing him out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

On the other hand Sasuke couldn't be assed to go to either Naruto's wedding or his inauguration.

If nothing else, he is devoted to being the worst friend imaginable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Actually I guess I have to be fair. There's no way Sasuke is ever topping Madara for Worst Friend In Existence.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's downplayed in general, but a lot of people in Naruto's generation are broken people in some way or another. It kind of comes with the ground of being raised as child soldiers.

I think it's interesting that Boruto's generation is the first you could consider psychologically healthy as a rule, even if Sasuke and Sakura did their best to buck that trend with Sarada. It's a huge progression from the time of the Third, and especially the time of the First. The various life goals of the numerous Hokage may have been hilariously basic (hey, let's live in a town! let's have an organized mission structure! let's try to have standardized education! etc), and a lot of them weren't very well thought out, but at the end of the day they've really helped make each generation safer than the last.

Too bad Boruto is gonna gently caress all that up by having random villains from nowhere destroy everything.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 26, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A reminder that in the world of Naruto, unending unhealthy relationships are the truest sign of love and should be rewarded.

See: Hinata and Naruto, Hashirama and Madara, Obito and Rin, Sasuke and anyone, etc.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

how is naruto and hinata in any way an unhealthy relationship??

It somehow turned into one (that's what I meant by rewarded), but before that Hinata was straight up willing to kill herself for the sake of someone she barely talked to.

The only reason it wasn't creepy is because Sakura was such a terrible character that Hinata looked way better.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It would be very, very difficult to not come out on top if you're setting the bar at Sakura.

You'd have to barely exist like Tenten to do worse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm gonna be that guy and say that Boruto is the best character in the show. He's actually almost fully fleshed out now, whereas prior to this show all we had on him was "total brat", "hates his Dad for doing his job", and "grows up into the most ridiculous looking character". He's far more tolerable than how he is in the manga, probably because he's so entrenched in his supporting cast.

Sarada's a good character too, but a lot of that is by how much she contrasts Boruto. On her own merits she only really has the events of Sarada Gaiden, which... are kinda more interested in traumatizing her than developing her. Maybe the anime adaption will change that, but so far it seems more interested in attempting to make sense of Sasuke and Sakura's mindsets.

To give an example so I don't just sound like I'm being contrary, the scene where Sarada yells at Boruto to let her deliver Naruto's lunch gains new context in the anime because we have a better grasp of Boruto's situation. In the manga it was pretty much Sarada roasting him for not appreciating what he's got, but in the anime we know full well that Boruto loves his dad the most when he's being a bumbling doofus, not when he's acting in his role as Hokage. This justifies his minor frustration and spiteful decision to just head back home, because it's a reasonable extension of what has already been shown. It also adds a bit of humor, because Boruto is understandably weirded out at how intensely Sarada is treating it (which also makes perfect sense given what we've seen of both of their home lives); to him, she's blowing a minor problem way out of proportion..

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 7, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sarada was a train wreck waiting to happen. If it weren't for Naruto being a respectable adult figure, she would have followed her dad's footsteps and ditched.

You gotta remember that while almost all of the new generation kids are tightly knit (particularly around Boruto), Chocho is Sarada's only regular friend. And that's due to active effort on Chocho's part. Otherwise, Sarada spends most of her time alone stewing in Parent Issues.

EDIT: Also Sarada has all the hallmarks of a kid forced to grow up too fast, so I wouldn't say Sakura's a particularly good mother. Her job's just as important as Naruto's, but unlike him she doesn't have a history of putting 120% into everything she does to inform her decision to not be there for her child more. To me, Sarada seems to have mostly turned out well more due to modern Konoha being a safe environment than anything her parents did.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 7, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sakura's in a tough position, but it's also a nonsensical one. The majority of the flaws with her parenting come down to poor writing on the series' part (Why does she need to pay mortgages at all? Where did her parents go? Why have none of her friends or coworkers approached her about her working too hard like Shikamaru did to Naruto? And of course, why didn't she explain anything about Sasuke but that's a low hanging fruit), but unless any of that ever gets explained I'm left to assume she's just loving up. The episode that establishes Sarada and Sakura's home life also points out that Sakura constantly works late hours, to the point that Sarada is in charge of cooking dinner. And another episode has Sarada blow off hanging out with friends because she needs to make dinner, so.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say with regards to modern Konoha being a better place. That if Sarada was around during the Third's reign, she would've turned out even worse? That's kind of my point, she only seems to have turned out so well at all compared to other Uchiha because she's just in a better environment.

And I'm going to be blunt here, but Sarada is a screwed up kid. Not nearly to the extent of how screwed up her father was, or even near how screwed up kids were in general back in the original series, but still pretty screwed up by her generation's standards. Sarada Gaiden itself showcases all of the insecurities she's got regarding her parentage, and those didn't come out of nowhere. The series proper shows that she doesn't spend that much time with her age group, has her constantly try to act more mature than she really is (pretending she doesn't know about Boruto's favorite movie hero, not wanting to train surf, etc), and having a bad habit of not saying what's really on her mind. None of that is necessarily a bad thing on their own, but combined with the rest of her issues it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

A lot of this is due to how obviously Sarada is being written to contrast Boruto, mind you. It remains to be seen what's going to be done with it (I think her decision to pursue become Hokage was supposed to be her turning over a new leaf), but at the moment Boruto is a Happy Ordinary Kid so that means Sarada is a Sad Not Ordinary Kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

At this point you're not arguing with me so much as you're just going "nah, you're wrong", so I'm just gonna stop this conversation here.

Thanks, though. This was kinda nostalgic.