Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ytlaya posted:

"Inojin" and "Shikadai" are such bad names.

Who would notice in a generation of names like Boruto? Their parents spent so long learning how to be ninjas none of them learned how to spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hm. If a shadow clone poops and Naruto calls him back in, does the original still need to poop?

Theoretically, if a shadow clone is "born" in whatever state Naruto is currently in (like how shadow clones made while in Kurama Chakra Mode are also in Kurama Chakra Mode), then one made while he has to poop, will also have to poop, but can't take the on the original poop. You can read all about this in my thesis on...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Since a kagebunshin can form a rasengan if you supply the chakra, can any random person force you to make a rasengan if they know how?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Obito at least served to tie up some loose ends in Kakashi's character arc, rezzing Jiraiya at this point would not only be contrived but also not do anything for anyone's character.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The anime at least did right by Sakura for the first time in ages and gave her an awesome fight against Shin.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Jiraiya didn’t have anything inherently special about him to warrant making a kid did he? Tsunade’s senju but Jiraiya’s just a dude who likes toads. A direct clone would make more sense (in the world where it makes sense to do this at all and the the clone comes pre-loaded with Jiraiya’s skills).

Personally I’m hoping Naruto had his own team 7 at one point and, as is tradition, one member completely lost it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I think the idea there is that only Indra and Asura reincarnate, due to their grudge.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

rndmnmbr posted:

Team Gai isn't the team you send out for scouting, or diplomacy. Just like Team Kurenai isn't the team you send out when someone absolutely must without fail get their rear end beat into cowboy sauce.

I wouldn't trust Team Kurenai to get today's paper.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

TheHan posted:

Jiraiya didn’t have anything inherently special about him to warrant making a kid did he? Tsunade’s senju but Jiraiya’s just a dude who likes toads. A direct clone would make more sense (in the world where it makes sense to do this at all and the the clone comes pre-loaded with Jiraiya’s skills).

Wow, didn't expect this question to actually get answered. Also didn't expect the answer to be that in the Naruto universe genealogy is so important that your chromosomes come pre-loaded with a great destiny.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Darth TNT posted:

You did see the part where Hashirama cells can solve everything?

Yeah but that translated into giving you better wood and healing powers. Up to now it’s been that good genes get you good ninja skills, but with this new development your genes literally decide your destiny

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Spiderdrake posted:

Is it actually that, it kinda just felt like he's running some poo poo talk?

Though of course Naruto has always had ever escalating love for eugenics so I guess this just jumps to the next level. Good chapter other than that, even if the level of exposition instead of action is insane.

The Star of Change bit and Isshiki reasoning that that's why Amado cloned him specifically makes me want to lean towards it being a genuine thing. I do think if it is a theme Boruto plans on rolling with they'll do the usual "Nah we decide our own fate" thing but when it's coming from the family of perfectly bred super soldiers, I dunno.

Still enjoying this fight though, it's refreshing that even at the legendary ninja and moon people level the techniques they're using are practical. Just shrinking a buncha poo poo to throw someone off their game.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Ok Isshiki is so much better than Kaguya, so much personality. If Kaguya had popped on a frosty rear end coat and pre-poured herself a glass of wine thousands of years ago, seemingly just to stunt on future enemies, she’d be one of the greats.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Isshiki’s ability is at least more straightforward than Obito’s. Kishimoto had to bend over backwards to explain why his suck things up ability was originally intangibility.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I rank the Naruto movies by which one has the best Rasengan variation

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Funnily enough, it's Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Isshiki might be one of my favorite Naruto villains since the before Madara times. He's been getting a lotta good character moments and his simple powerset lets them use practical counters. Just, mwah! Delicious.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Wasn't another theme of original Naruto the new generation surpassing the old? They could just be saying that again.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
So pretty much the only theme not abandoned by the end was that having friends is cool.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It could've been spun as them both being hard working, but Sasuke always seems to have an easy out like the sharingan or the curse mark. Then since these are the same tools that lead him down a path of darkness you can point to it and go "See? Shoulda just worked harder"

Course that doesn't mesh with Naruto also getting a pre-loaded easy out and both of them being handed the six paths power to save the day but y'now, it was close.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Besides having to live through the initiation did the curse mark actually have a downside?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
There was a noticeable lack of them employing any of the strategies that they just learned work against Isshiki, but I still think up to this point we saw some clever logic being used to counter him. The super saiyan slobberknockers that late stage Naruto dips into don't really lend themselves to that kind of thinking, so when it's time to bust out the super moves Naruto charges in with two vanilla Rasengans even though he should know it won't work.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Hypocrisy posted:

Well, they already used their knowledge of Isshiki's shrinking to warp him away in the first place (disguising Boruto as a weapon). Past that, their knowledge ends since they didn't get to watch the second part of the fight with KK and Isshiki doesn't have a Karma any more.

They got to see KK use naturally occurring flames to counter the shrinking at least, and Sasuke specifically has a technique that uses natural lightning. Sage mode also seems like it’d hard counter the shrinking of jutsu since it adds in natural energy, but that I’m just assuming.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Hey you can’t forget her 1vs100 puppet rumble, it was the ultimate “Sakura is cool now” red herring.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
How can you ask me to believe for one second that they'd really kill off Naruto.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Putting Yamato on perpetual Orochimaru duty just seems mean.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The curse mark resurrection only worked cause a 3rd party was needed to revive him for info. Who really likes him enough to give him another rez?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Slight correction: The plant guy wasn't being manipulated, he just loves his mom. And Boruto kinda adds one more layer retroactively, but The second alien that was manipulating the first alien was double crossed centuries before the main series began

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Feels weird to say it but I don't trust Kishimoto to keep Isshiki as fun as he's been.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Good god he's hideous from head to toe, I haven't been a fan of the chakra modes from the start but this is just horrible.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Pulling wild new rules outta nowhere is pretty on brand for Kishimoto, here at least it’s using pre-established concepts for its inexplicable mid-fight power up. The new form is haunting in its ugliness but I don’t mind the idea that a tailed beast has enough chakra control to make it happen.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
You’ll have to see for yourself.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Kishimoto really said get these old fucks outta here

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It should've been Naruto

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
he’s still strong as hell but it does feel a lil weird that Naruto lost like one of his biggest signatures. Like if they took super saiyan from Goku.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Kakashi got back his regular eyes so Sasuke should at least get back his original, shittier Mangekyo

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Going from Isshiki to Code and Girl whose power is to make men fall in love with her is such a baffling downgrade in antagonist.

Go to your room, Kishimoto

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think she's cool

Her design? Baller. But I've got some serious sideye for a woman whose power is everyone falls madly in love with her and whose motivation is to enslave one of the few people who could potentially love her unconditionally. Especially considering Kishimoto's track record with writing women

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I really enjoy the Kawaki and Uzumaki family moments almost exactly as much as I loathe the Code and Loser Squad moments.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Glad we're finally doing something with these new villains, but wow, Code has a seriously hideous fit. You don't really get a good look at it most of the time so that cover page was a real trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
As an OG Baryon mode hater, gotta admit that the anime made it look pretty hype. Man, they do such a good job of animating the most hellacious of rear end-beatings. Even if Isshiki won in the end there he'd never be looked at the same.