Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

So I have paid exactly zero attention to Naruto since the Sasuke retrieval arc. On a whim I decided to watch the latest Boruto episode, mostly expecting to confirm I was right on quitting. I know nothing but this episode and what I've read online afterwards to explain everyone's magic bullshit powers.

SSJ Naruto and Magic-Eye Bullshit Sasuke make a good team. Albino drug addicts with more magic-eye bullshit make hilarious bad guys. Nice anime fight, I liked it. Boruto is Naruto 2.0 with his own special magic-eye bullshit? Is there a Naruto Shippuden abridged so I can catch up without watching... ugh, 500 episodes? Really? I can handle 65 Boruto episodes, but five loving hundred episodes of Shippuden... I was right to drop this series, wasn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, after wiki-binging a bit, I think I'll just skip Shippuden. Except I was promised a bit where Naruto beats the stupid out of Sasuke, that I'll watch. I hope it lives up to expectations.

e. Oh my god they're out of chakra and just relentlessly beating the absolute poo poo out of each other. I could not be happier.

e2. They're so punch-drunk they can't stand. I'm going to die of joy.

e3. aww, they spoiled it. Another Ninja Nuke. gently caress, and I was hoping it would end with Naruto beating Sasuke until he couldn't crawl or see or cry.

e4. I may be projecting what I want to do to Sasuke a bit. It was a tiny nuke using the very last chakra they could possibly scrape together. I hope it leaves Sasuke beat to absolute poo poo. Next episode.

e5. Huh. They dead. Both of them.

e6. Nah, dream sequence. Itachi shows up and things get weirdly homoerotic.

e7. Sasuke finally admits he's been suicidal all along. News at 11.

e8. I have to give them a hand, that's a disarming way to resolve things. High five.

e9. Wait, holy poo poo. I thought Naruto's mummy-wrapped hand in the Boruto episode was just one more example of this series' weird fetish for bandages, but no, it's a prosthetic. And I didn't even notice Sasuke is doing everything one-handed because he's still missing an arm. Holy poo poo, nice!

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 20, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

And that reminds me: Sasuke talking poo poo at Naruto at the end. Like real friends do at each other. Aww.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I asked my nephew, who's been following Naruto since he was six, what good Shippuden stuff I should watch, and he had a few recommendations.

Bee punched out all of Sasuke's organs. :allears: Who would have thought that a rapping anime Hulk Hogan ripoff would be one of my favorite characters?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

After watching way more Shippuden than I intended to, I have to say that I appreciate the fact that Naruto is both the well-deserved village hero and the village idiot, at the same time, until the very end. And considering how he treats his family in Boruto... well, his son is giving him a run for the money, but Naruto still holds the village idiot all-time championship belt by a comfortable margin.

Also, :doh: Mitsuke is obviously a result of Orochimaru experimenting with White Zetsus.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I like Bort-era Sasuke, surprisingly. Yeah he's a bad dad, but who didn't see that coming? Had the stupid beat out of him, had a few years to work on atonement, matured out of emo-ness despite the haircut. Still an emotional cripple but acknowledges and accepts it, loves his family to the best of his limited ability, understands that redemption will take the rest of his life and keeps working at it. Also feels more like a legit badass rather than a dumb kid playing with eyehax.

Retrieval-arc Sasuke was honestly mostly just Sasuke jealous as gently caress that Naruto was catching up to him in power level, so he had to go play Cain to Naruto's Abel and climb in the van with the "free power" sign driven by a creepy snake-themed pedophile. Mitsuki grappling with the concept of free will is a lot more compelling than that. Also, I don't see the Mitsuki situation being anything but temporary, the bad guy in this arc obviously just wants to vivisect Mitsuki to steal Orochimaru's secret sauce to apply to his own artificial humans, Mitsuki's a smart kid and will figure that out quickly and then it's time for Team Seven to pay them a beating/figure out the true meaning of friendship/save Christmas/etc.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 8, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

My eye twitches every time I see Mitsuke and not Mitsuki.

You have the lamest eyehax, but it shouldn't bug you anymore.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm starting to remember why I quit Naruto after the Sasuke Retrieval arc. This arc is really starting to drag. I feel like half the runtime could be cut out, and there would still be enough time to hit every single plot point while delivering a tighter, better, and more action-packed story. Or maybe I've just been ruined by various abridged series, I dunno.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I mean, I get that there must be filler so the anime doesn't outpace the manga, and I drat well like how they're putting the filler in continuity here rather than catching all the way up then having entire loving seasons of flashbacks / AU filler while they wait for the buffer to rebuild like they did in Shippuden.

But drat, how many times do I need reminded that Onoki wants to protect all the people from harm for a very narrow view of who is "people"? I feel like that point has been brought up multiple times in just the past five-six episodes, we get it now, let's move along. It doesn't help that I feel nothing but dull irritation at these five new characters, and feel their entire story could have been wrapped up before this entire arc started if someone had said "Isn't this the same thing Orochimaru was doing? Let's give him a phone call, get some pointers in the right direction. Naruto should have his number, right?" The whole arc feels contrived, it could have been sanely handled by Mitsuki popping into Naruto's office and saying "I'm worried that my loyalty to Konoha and my friendship with your son was programmed in by my parent, so I'm going to go help Onoki with his project for a few months and see if I can sort out some mixed emotions while I'm at it, kthxbye."

(Can I please have Hinata get just one episode demonstrating why she's the sweetest, nicest, most polite mom you should never ever gently caress with? I just feel like we should be occasionally reminded that she'll straight up rip your loving eyes out of their sockets if you give her enough reason.)

e. although, Having Bort's first summon being a rude snake dude with attitude might be worth the admission price.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 17, 2018

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sindai posted:

I don't think the Boruto anime is really beholden to the manga, though I suppose it kind of looks that way so far. Since it's monthly waiting for it to get ahead would be just ridiculous after the initial buffer it got from starting far earlier runs out.

Yeah, I'm actually quite happy with ninja scroll babies and hope it stays like this for a while. We got plenty of time before the opening scene, let's enjoy it a while.

(Sindai? I feel like I know that name. Do the words steel rose mean anything to you?)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Pretty sure this is meant to be Ohnoki's dying moment of redemption here, one last chance to set right this mistake. They've been leaning into his old age and ill health for the whole arc after all.

Hell his only mistake was assuming that artificial people would be soulless automatons instead of possessing wills and souls and drives to survive at all cost - y'know, actual people. But roads to hell and good intentions and all that jazz.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

no no, not snake ninja mengele, the one with the monocle

If he'd had a discussion with snake ninja mengele, his plan might have even worked.

(hell I love that we have to clarify our evil doctors and mad scientists. The more the merrier.)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Orochimaru is a monster to his core, but being a good dad mom parent redeems him at least a little. Besides, he's been more on the side of good not completely evil ever since Sasuke rezzed him back in Shippuden.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I was right.

Goodbye, Ohnoki. May your will be strong and your back be sound in the pure land.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Nothing happened this episode, and I enjoyed it a lot. :iiam:

Other than Kurotsuchi straight up telling Naruto she was going to poach Team 7 if he didn't unfuck their punishment, nothing.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

And the 35th annual Konoha Village Idiot Award goes to, huh, Naruto again, for being unable to tell the difference between the One-Tailed Tanuki and the monster sealed inside him that he literally talks to on a daily basis. Congratulations on your 35th straight win, Hokage-sama.

Runner-up is Shino, for playing with his new toy in public and further destroying any semblance of authority and respect his students might have accidentally had for him.

(Also Naruto you don't deserve a daughter that cute and sweet. Although I'd wager that the real reason Kurama is giving Naruto the silent treatment is because he's spending the day with a vicious monster that once punched Naruto so hard she made Kurama feel it, and it's best not to draw her attention less she decides to makes you squeak like a dog toy again.)

Umbreon posted:

Akamaru has gotten so old! :ohdear:

The tragedy of good dogges is that we always outlive them.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I think the actual point was Naruto grabbed what he thought was the right box in the rush, but oops, it was the cheap Chinese Suna knockoff, and too late, sold out, no exchanges sucker. Having been caught in the occasional Black Friday rush, I can see it, sure. Fad toys loving ruin Christmas.

But Hima is happy, she got to do something nice for another kid, spend the day with her dad, and on second thought Shukaku is cute too so no worries. You did good, Naruto, you loving lovable idiot.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Although, being utterly exhausted because you spent all night personally approving applications for a bunch food carts and merch booths... bureaucracies exist for a reason and Naruto needs one. No wonder he never sees his family if he's literally the entire loving government.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Going by the novel synopsis Hinata and Hanabi get into it and Hinata proves she's still the bad bitch of the Gentle Fist and gentlemen I am filled with glee.

Yeah, I'll admit it, Hinata is my favorite character. I didn't care for her until she stepped up to Pain and actually held her own for a few moments and then I got her. She is sweet and kind and polite and drags a giant pair of brass ones behind her and will loving end you if you give her enough reason.

e. I have to add, whichever one of you told me to watch the Pain arc including all the Looney Tunes stuff, you were so loving right. Peak Naruto right there, never has been topped yet.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 15, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah but Kohonagakure Local #1 would be twelve blonds standing around supervising while waiting on one to show up from his four hour lunch break. A team of them would outwit the original and successfully negotiate an annual 5% COL increase plus an extra week of vacation. A picket line of clones outside demanding dental - you know what, this should happen, it's loving hilarious.

Naruto utterly bewildered, asking Shikamaru how his clones wound up smarter than he is, and Shikamaru replies "Well, some rocks are..."

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

:unsmith:

*sees preview for next week's episode*

:smith:

I'm not getting a Hinata-centric episode, am I.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sasuke threatening to throw Kakashi in the river was a beautiful moment.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I think it works, though, because Sakura taking the piss out of Sasuke is just too out of character. Yeah, the two of them have a mature, trusting marriage, but Sakura still has a massive juvenile crush on her husband too. Why else would she stick around for his latest decade-long absence? I can see Naruto making fun of Sasuke for something else, but not parenting because he's just as clueless and knows it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

But at the same time, Sakura is the one he could open up to and admit his insecurities with his relationship with his daughter, and for Sasuke to be able to open up to her at all instead of be typical Mr. Stoic says volumes about how much he really does love and trust her. Dude watched the person he loved the most butcher his entire family and spent the next decade veering hard into evil in desperate attempts to avoid confronting his emotional baggage, so I imagine "trust issues" is something of an understatement. It's good that he has someone.

Kakashi doesn't loving count. He injected himself into this situation with some spectacularly bad advice, and Sasuke is socially stunted enough that his first response was "trust my sensei" not "take any relationship advice from a 50-something confirmed bachelor with a habit of obsessively re-reading trashy romance novels with a massive grain of salt". Sasuke should have thrown him in the river anyways.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Like he couldn't Asura Path a replacement arm at will.

Hmm... We've seen him use the Deva Path and the Preta Path, and I seem to remember something implying using the Human Path, but thats it. I wonder if just one Rinnegan only gives you half the Paths, like Kakashi's single Mangekyo Sharingan only gave him half of the Kamui.

e. But also, Sasuke won't accept that arm until he can forgive himself for his sins, and that's something almost impossible to do. I'd paraphrase a conversation, but why do that when I can let my brother Teal'c explain it so much better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTzuxhOh80M

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 27, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Bonus points if it automatically starts throwing one of Sakura's punches at his head if he ignores a family phone call.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I'm glad Temari was depicted as something other than She Who Must Be Feared in this episode. I mean, she is, but I hate seeing moderately complex characters get reduced to one single unpleasant trait.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Interesting that they showed a bit more of the modern parts of Boruto, and how it might interact with the ninjas. <snip> Hospitals using medic-nin like Sakura just makes sense.

It should be Doctor Sakura Uchiha, except this is Naruto, where the only respectable titles end in -nin or -kage.

e. I feel that Dr. S. Uchiha, Ophthalmologist is a joke that wants to be told, except dammit Karin :argh:

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 14, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Of course Naruto makes all the firemen wear his shippuden pants

This goes exactly like Might Guy offering one of his bodysuits, except somehow even worse.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I could watch an entire episode of Konohamaru beating the poo poo out of Jugo.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There's something suspicious in general about the weird bird guy and his lick no jutsu.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

But at the same time, there's a lot of story that could be told regarding the intersection of technology and ninjutsu, making a fun playing field for ninja kid adventures for now before really getting into the meat of the manga.

e. Give Rock Lee a fully stocked Scientific Ninja Tool and you would get a juggernaut of a shinobi that makes Guy look soft and weak.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 26, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There's something rotten in the Land of Stone Denmark Rivers.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Standard stuff that happens when you let the thug hired to protect the front door start playing with lab equipment.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Karin as the crazy but cool aunt is great. Suigetsu got attacked by Nue because, duh, he's still a bad guy. New OP is good.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

So, it feels like Mitsuki is a jonin-class ninja just pretending to be a genin for now to stay close to his man-crush. Just based on the number of times he's off doing something else as not to overshadow Bort and Sarada.

Also, we have snake-Mengele, and rock-Mengele... can I call this one lick-Mengele?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

For a fun little six-episode arc that reintroduced some fan-favorite characters and featured sixty second of prime quality fight animation... why does the whole mess come off as flat and dull? I think this series is getting due for a hard status-quo shakeup.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Is it gay, though, if you only nominally understand and barely pay attention to such silly concepts like gender?

I mean, yeah Misuki is Bort-sexual, obviously, and I support that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You know, "Kakashi and Guy play ping-pong" should involve Guy with seven gates open, burning wreckage of an inn, survivors fleeing in a panic, and a minor international incident. It is Kakashi and Guy after all.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 27, 2019