Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Shaft already appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

On the other hand Sasuke couldn't be assed to go to either Naruto's wedding or his inauguration.

If nothing else, he is devoted to being the worst friend imaginable.

hey! naruto didn't go to his inauguration either

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe you all would disrespect Neji like this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we want a new song dammit

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dunno if the Jump Festa OVA already made the rounds but i just watched it and it was kinda disappointing. i liked the chunky linework it had, and it was about 50% chouchou being her fabulous self, but the "fight" was atrocious. i just figured for a promotional short thing like this they'd want (and be able to) put their best foot forward for some decent action animation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Larryb posted:

I didn't even know there was a new OVA, what's it about?

boruto's genin squad is tasked with investigating some shady figures related to a contest for free potato chips/instant noodles for 3 years. so chouchou's involvement naturally follows, along with squadmates inojin and shikadai.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't really mind the show turning dramatic because i find this ideological conflict pretty interesting. i do admit having Kagura flip sides felt a little lame when it only serves to pad things by an extra episode or so. i had really wanted to see him enter this fight against the other six swords with Boruto/Sarada/etc and it be a fight entirely between the new generation.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

she was in the boruto movie, at least :sigh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah that's right, she was one of the ones running the Chunin exams if I remember right. Though on that note, has Kiba shown up yet either?

he was with the group of naruto's classmates who carried him home when he got drunk. also got a cameo in one of the recent eps as a celebrity ninja who endorses dog food.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Boruto is a little less typically shonen and has been almost entirely "filler" up to this point, while still having a really high and consistent level of quality. i think that actually has a lot of people worried about the quality when it starts adapting some less good content from the manga/movies, but i will hold optimism in my heart. so far it has also had some great focus moments for a wider portion of the cast than Naruto did at this point.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please make boruto even slightly less of a little poo poo in the movie arc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

Why doesn't Naruto have clones take care of hokage stuff while his real body does important kid stuff so his kid won't hate him? Nobody knows.

it didn't seem to work very well for Hima's birthday party

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

reading comprehension aside, the consequences of doing it the other way around would probably be worse

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iirc the boruto movie shows his clones all over the village doing random stuff like carrying groceries and holding talk show interviews.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

naruto also has a hosed up keyboard

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i hope someday chouchou gets some real poo poo to do character-wise, though in the meantime her near-boundless confidence/self-importance is good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean boruto has definitely used open palm strikes already, which is probably the closest to hyuga he'll get until his byakugan kicks in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only issue i had with the movie was boruto being a total brat, but that was after i had already watched a bunch of the tv series where he's not that. i think they've been good about setting that stuff up slowly in the wake of the genin exam, so other than a drop in animation quality, I'm looking forward to the movie arc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

even if it were more widely available you still have Konoha as the only nation with this material advantage so you get into the whole question of how sporting that would be and what the peacetime relations are like (would the bracer cause strife? is this knowledge Konoha is in freely giving up to maintain"fairness?") etc.

anyway this show is good again and I'm glad I bothered to catch back up after that kinda crappy Byakuya stuff

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the show took a hit in both writing and animation in the post-genin arcs but their version of the movie has been much better in terms of writing, and there are one-off episodes that are good like the game dev one. so there's really only been a lull for five or six episodes in the...40s/50s? and there's plenty of great stuff between the first ten episodes and that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please drop the new ep early so we can kill the third annual bracer rehash

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't that new shinobi strikers game supposed to have boruto squads in it? between that and the mobile game it seems like they're starting the transition.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad the tournament went as fast as it did, because they really seemed to be struggling with the scheduling and visually it wasn't a great watch. also gotta be honest that shinki steamrolling everything effortlessly made him not so interesting to watch, though mitsuki and chocho still got good character moments by running into him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jesus christ, the anime take on father/son rasengan just murdered me

i didn't know i had real feels about this series

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

perhaps in the boruto universe, the quality of your fatherhood is inversely proportional to your quality as a person

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

please god, let this chocho arc last at least three episodes in total. the surprisingly lowkey humor and exaggerated faces are so good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and Sekiei owns

it's gonna destroy me when he dies

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unfavorable comparison for my friend mitsuki's good momdad/dadmom

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

man, i love all these dumbass synthetic kids. kinda hoping mitsuki's body can be used to at least save this batch before the whole plan gets shut down.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with how long it took them to have Inojin use his mom's jutsu, i'm not surprised that the other kids haven't been given the chance. at this point I'm a bit sick of InoShikaCho being the only non-team 7 genin in the mix so i can wait on seeing their wind/lightning jutsu

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i misread this news item like five different times and thought they were adding Kagura, not moonlady who i have no attachment to :sigh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly was hoping sekiei would make it long enough for them to use ku's heart to stabilize him... or they could've just had ku not get the heart at all

but i guess we needed this final battle with a largely irrelevant villain for ohnoki to confront him? after the sekiei and kokuyo fights i just don't really care anymore, there is probably not going to be anything that matches them emotionally. best case we get some animation highlights like the kako fight

e: if we hadn't spent a ton of time with ohnoki already then I'd be more into this as a way for him to deal with his past but they've kinda plumbed it already.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 22, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

on the other side of the arc it's easy to forget all the chaff and stalling that didn't do much in this but yeah the broader emotional and character strokes are pretty good, aside from how tediously they handled Ohnoki. wish he had jumped into the Ku fight sooner, since the fakeout loss was expected. the fight with Kakou is still probably the animation highlight for me, but they definitely didn't slouch with Ku, and Sarada turned in some S-tier screams.

excited to see what they do next, after the cool down ep for this arc next week. give us an arc where Sumire is relevant imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

shino is so pathetic i love it

the bar for parent child day has already been set so high...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, it just felt like a gag about parents having a loose grasp on what the hot toy is + Naruto spent the whole episode so sleep deprived that he couldn't summon usable clones, so not surprising

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe someday we'll get a chocho episode that isn't about eating or being fat, just maybe...

they didn't even have the decency to flash back to why her parents got together ffs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that would've been so good wtf

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

god that was a fun ep

i'm glad namida learned some proper use for her jutsu and team 15 continues to own. big nue is a good boy

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

man they really owned me by not using it on ep 100 of all things. excited to see this when i get to the new ep today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he'd remember pooping so it would probably make it so he doesn't need to right away