Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This anime is a weird mix of the pleasentness of early Naruto, with some new characters I'm surprised I actually like - the delinquent kinda gives me a Jojo character vibe, and the rich kid is a nice way to explain things - and the apprehension that comes with seeing the flashback and knowing all of this will inevitably go to poo poo as we spiral into the maelstrom of eyehax bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mymla posted:

I wish Boruto just had regular byakugan and a more Hyuga-like skillset. That would've made more sense even, since Naruto is apparently mostly absent from his life, and Hinata would've had all the time in the world to train him.
A lot of the show doesn't make any sense to get away with more pandering. It would have been cool if he had a skillset derived from learning from Naruto's friends and teachers, but instead he just has Naruto's skills implying he spent considerable time with him teaching him. Except the show explicitly acts like he didn't.

Oh well. To be honest this show is as charming as early Naruto without Sasuke's emo proclamations I don't mind. Even this episode, which I thought was going to be awful, came out fun.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mitsuki is actually supposed to be kinda upbeat right? I barely remember what I've seen of him, but he's not supposed to be king of the emo snakes or something is he?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I actually think Chouji marrying someone he would meet but not something we saw happen on screen is a good thing. I don't think Boruto is going to do it, but exploring the peace years and things that happened to the old cast creates a more vibrant story. I hope Metal Lee's mom is some totally normal ninja from like, I don't know, the Hidden Mist. Or Orochimaru cloned Rock Lee.

AtomikKrab posted:

I am probably not gonna watch this but I assume everyone has loving eyehax?
It's not even really eyehax. So far he can use the chakra detection skills of basic eye stuff. I don't think Sarada has hers yet? I legitimately can't remember when this series "is".

This is some seriously low powered ninja poo poo. Sai's kid wears overalls you'd see on a six year old. That's how low powered this series is so far.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Excellent Cho cho episode, but also Mitsuki is the best straight man in the history of ninjas.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was seriously feeling those bitter pangs of the opening when this episode just completely mocked the eyehax bullshit from Naruto and then that loving amazing Hyuga scene.

Also the Mitsuki running gag pleases me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Being worried about three characters dying is tense. Being worried about three million characters dying is etc etc. I don't mind flashes of world destroying power to show off the artist's imagination, but it should always be about containing worldbreaker power.

Seeing the Hyuga family interactions made me really happy. Boruto admitting afterward he should have had more of the meat and potatoes was just rather sweet.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It would be a bit hypocritical for the people who forgave Orochimaru and people from Root to be like oh yeah this child soldier who was brainwashed to do a thing is getting the axe. There is a bit of a weakness in the tone shift from episode to episode, I guess, but oh well.

As bad as we all know this is going to get I thought that was a pretty good opening 14 episodes. I appreciate that Mitsuki and Class Rep both had skills way above Boruto's.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

They literally didn't know where she came from and didn't give a gently caress. Some orphan shows up and they're just so eager to child soldier it up. Even in peacetime!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eh the story in the anime feels... Off somehow, even beyond the art. I don't want to say it's bad since maybe it'll be good when animated, but it feels like the storyboarding or something didn't work right.

Also this show is just so loving nice to see these characters you followed for a decade actually getting some sense of reward and happiness. Seeing Rock Lee with Metal is just pleasant in a way very few fictional works ever get to do. The manga has much less of that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Larryb posted:

I'm still not convinced that Rock Lee isn't Gai's illegitimate son (they look almost exactly alike and we never do see Lee's family in the series).
Maybe there's a country where Gai and Rock Lee are considered the height of sexy and Rock/Metal are just the best illegitimate offspring brought back while the others languish without the training of the green beast.

Or maybe that's sort of the joke.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think you're supposed to think about the ninja economy too much. Naruto kinda implied in parallel that there was an entire feudal economy outside the villages, but also that ninjas rescued cats for a living or something.

Like where does the Lord of Fire live?
Author too busy writing spousal negligent, don't think about it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JahRoo posted:

Don't think too hard about the branch family thing, it doesn't make that much sense and it's clearly not a plot point that any of the writers care about now.
If it's from Part 1 of Naruto most of the time the manga didn't care and the spin-off manga super doesn't care.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Byakugan is actually better in all but the most insane stuff, which the ninja war turned into. Most ninja combat was implied to be pretty low-key stuff, until the series started retconning itself hardcore. I've gone into this before, all the sharingan stuff is a massive wear on your body and chakra, if it doesn't make you blind or shoot blood out of your eyes or whatever else. Byakugan plus any ranged combat style would get you easily into old age and you could just shoot sharigan users in the back of the head from across the battlefield while they're making grandiose speeches about caverns full of hate falling on their skin these eyes will not stop bleeding, which they are genetically forced to do.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Naruto must be taken as a whole. If you start chopping out the best of Naruto, even post-time skip, there's enough to build an entire great show or manga.

Much like Bleach, it's not there wasn't some great stuff. It's that the average was woeful. Boring rear end filler, weird thinly veiled sexism, plot twist being a pile of garbage being behind it all, Naruto pissing his pants when he realized SASUKE... BAD??

In that, Boruto is better than Naruto. FOR NOW.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

It's insanely weird that Orochimaru is allowed come and go as he please and also that his immortality dream came through. Would have made way more sense imo if he realised it's what you do with a limited life that matters not how long you lived when he decided to help. Then you get the redemptive scene without having to deal with his horrific crimes being forgiven in Boruto. Jiraiya loving died!
Friend there's an Obito redemption and sympathy shown for Madara. There's an attempt to shift the blame from those two onto another character. Even the final villain has sympathy pangs.

Naruto is hosed when it comes to forgiveness creep. "Insanely weird" is pretty much summing it up perfectly.

Meanwhile Danzo is supposed to be super evil except I can't remember why I'm supposed to hate him compared to Orochimaru or the other lunatics. Also pretty much all the kages were portrayed as happily willing to condone or perpetuate war crimes in part 1 and that all got washed away going through part 2.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't mean it wasn't in part 2. I mean it peaked in part 1 and was gradually eroded through part 2 until by the end they're plucky good guy underdogs facing off against the REAL evil of the ninja world.

Although by your examples I'll agree it was a much stronger element into the final acts of 2 that I kinda misplaced. But my point is by the end, they're entirely absolved and we're supposed to think Sasuke is totally crazy for wanting to wipe out this shadow government of war criminals.

Blockhouse posted:

Also I feel like everyone forgets Danzo wanted to turn the Leaf into a full-on military dictatorship
Oh I mean he's a villain by an metric, just that it's weird how he's probably the character the narrative paints the worst.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Chocho is a fun character but that find my real dad poo poo was the god drat worst.
poo poo, I loved it. It's a great callback to one of his best moments in the manga. It perfectly explains why she wouldn't recognize him and it also shows that when his daughter was sick he went all out for her.

One of the things I like about Boruto is that the setting doesn't instantly show the kids as knowing their parents are bad asses. Like they've heard all the talk and have grown numb to it, but moments in the gaiden show them opening their eyes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Got caught up after sort of waffling after the Sumire arc finished up, but the anime really does deliver pretty well. Best episode for me was the Inojin one, I'm a total sucker for seeing the cast as happily married. Sai has been very well represented in this, it's like someone actually thought about the character.

The manga on the other hand, the writing is simply weaker than the anime with broadly less appealing and less thought out characterization. But the artist is bad, and frankly, a bad person. Seeing it adapted is going to be better, I think.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mymla posted:

But didn't Sasuke himself learn chidori in a flashback during his fight with Gaara where all that was shown was Kakashi showing it to him once?
Better point there. Isn't Chidori someone else's technique?

Why would anyone get upset that chapter was old school naruto as gently caress including the cast getting ragdolled.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Teek posted:

Are we also going to get a reveal that Koji is an Orochimaru creation? Frankly I've never really felt he looked that much like Jiraiya, maybe that's just a side effect of the different artist. The now "repentant" Orochimaru creating a clone of his former comrade to spy on Kara seems about his speed.
Oh, that's a good one. I kinda thought the idea here is he was made by Amado.

This is reminding me a lot of how Samurai 8 just went overdrive on exposition and then ended. This series isn't in trouble, is it?

...was it even called Samurai 8, I don't remember...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thoren posted:

Remember when people would swear up and down that Tobi wasn't Obito?
Yeah, that's a good point. After Obito and "the poor orphan is actually the son of a genius and a noble-ish" I think expecting a plot twist is probably looking in the wrong places.

Who specifically mentioned that his body couldn't be recovered anyway?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pyrotoad posted:

I was a 'Tobi isn't Obito' person because I thought it was too stupid a twist. So now I'm all in on Jiraiya.
Yeah, that's my point. No plot twist too stupid. All in on Jiraiya or his son or his son with Tsunade we never heard of or all of the above blended together in some cybernetic nightmare.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheHan posted:

Yeah but that translated into giving you better wood and healing powers. Up to now it’s been that good genes get you good ninja skills, but with this new development your genes literally decide your destiny
Is it actually that, it kinda just felt like he's running some poo poo talk?

Though of course Naruto has always had ever escalating love for eugenics so I guess this just jumps to the next level. Good chapter other than that, even if the level of exposition instead of action is insane.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Re-examination of Naruto trips you up day one. You put a nuclear bomb in a kid, refuse to tell him who his parents are and then let him get hosed up by everything constantly.

Like the Orochimaru stuff just makes no sense but nothing ever really does. I feel like they came up with the idea for Mitsuki and just thought he was cool enough to justify. And you know, I really like Mitsuki, so whatever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is very Dragonball, like, immensely more so than usual. Still a fun chapter.

It being referenced as fusion instead of fission is funny since He's basically irradiating his opponent, 'shortening his life span' is very radiation feeling

I like the ace though and I feel like it writes him out of the story for a while in a reasonable way

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm kinda sitting here more bemused he re-did one of the best shots from Bleach in Boruto to even register the next couple pages

Really liked the chapter though, good ninja battlin'. Naruto/Boruto is so much better when they're not giant mecha style monster battling.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Larryb posted:

I haven’t touched Bleach in a long time, what scene are you referring to and where was it recreated in this chapter?
Tearing off the Hollow mask. Probably just a coincidence.

I haven't touched it in a long time either, I just remember really liking how that scene came together. Liked this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Given the antagonists are down and out for the moment, maybe they'll do a "find the kurama in the wild and subdue him to save a dying naruto's life arc"? If you have Sasuke tending to him with I don't know magical eyehax you could easily justify a stripped down set of assets going on the mission

Could be a great way to explore more of the planet. If Teek isn't right or they ignore that, mind you. Otherwise I'm kinda not sure where the story is going in the short term.