Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Sort of curious how they’re going to handle things from here on as once Kawaki showed up I don’t remember there being many gaps in the manga story where they could insert some more anime only content. So I’m wondering how they’re going to avoid catching up too quickly.

There's also Kawaki repairing the vase they can use as an episode dumping ground, given how everyone was more familiar with him once it was finished in the span of a single page in the manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Holy exposition dump

I see Samurai 8's spoiled Kishi something fierce in that regard

Is that better or worse than having characters pull abilities out of their butts as the story went on though?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There was a lot of foreshadowing and callbacks in Naruto (albeit some of it is only called as such with the power of hindsight now that it's a completed work)

Kaguya was subtly foreshadowed as far back as Pain's Invasion where Nagato says that the Chibaku Tensei he made to capture Nine-Tails was nothing compared to the Sage of Six Paths, who made the moon, yet it's such a throwaway line until Hagoromo shows up and talks about his mother hundreds of chapters later

Sasuke also brought back the "You're not afraid, are you?"/"What's the matter, scaredy-cat?" shtick in chapter 647

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I fear no ninja

But that face

It scares me

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm sure it'll make sense in the anime after 100 episodes of Kawaki and Boruto hanging out and going on various missions

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well episode 203 disappointing

The manga literally gives them an opening to do numerous episodes for Kawaki to grow as a character and bond with Naruto and the other genin, but they simply skip straight to the fight with Jigen, despite literally saying that the clash with Delta was a while ago, and Kawaki shows off a power he didn't have previously

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Come with me Code. I'll introduce you to my other Knight."

Dammit Kishi did you mix your doujins with your scripts again?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You can tell he's a kid because his power is "I know you are but what am I?" :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Teek posted:

Every since Kishimoto came back, the art seems to ape his style more and more of recent, or at least look closer to the Boruto anime character models.

Weirdly enough, Konohamaru gained his manga appearance in the anime for a few episodes during the Ao arc

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The fight on the water being a direct homage to Naruto and Sasuke's first Valley fight was a nice touch - Naruto even combo'd Isshiki the same way

https://twitter.com/iamdonmakveli/status/1442067372177858561

And Kawaki hiding while an enemy threatens to kill his teacher hearkens all the way back to the first episode/chapter of the entire series

Still wish we had more filler with Kawaki bonding with the rest of the cast, because his affection for the Hokage and familiarity with the other genin really felt rushed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The reason Oro's so laid-back now is that he's perpetually drunk from his connection to the gourd-him

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe the road getting here wasn't perfect, but I really couldn't ask for a better sendoff for the character

I mean, maybe Naruto dying peacefully of old age and something something Kurama dies with him so his power can't be misused in the future, but that's fanfiction territory

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

*deep breath*

LET HINATA DO SOMETHING FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't believe Rasengun is loving canon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I saw that Naruto vs Sasuke parallel, manga, don't think you're being clever

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I was wondering when she'd show up

Both of them, actually

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Of course it's chapter 69 where we get to see Eida's infatuation ability debut

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm just here for Metal x Hebiichigo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

So what's happening then?

Well, it's taken, what, a dozen episodes for them to remember that Lightning is Super Effective against Water (until it isn't) and they keep getting pushed around by mooks (even with the justification of the ones that are still around being the elite of the elite)

Sindai posted:

Goondolences

Snake Strawberry was a name too good for this world

Well, at least she doesn't have to worry about that pardon anymore :gbsmith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

I forget, is Delta actually fully an android or a human with some mechanical parts?

Either way it is kind of weird since she clearly had a mind of her own before this as mentioned and can obviously feel emotions considering she fell victim to Ada’s ability.

She's a full cyborg whose mind gets uploaded into a new body when it gets destroyed

In the anime, Amado destroyed her spare bodies so no one else could use her, and then built a new body for her in Konoha

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...When was the last time Mitsuki or Sarada did anything in the manga? :psyduck:

Sage Misuki and Sharingan Sarada could probably contribute in some way, surely

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Loved how they build up Araumi as this BAMF with super-de-duper water powers and he goes out like an utter chump almost offscreen

At least Ikada's water dragon looked gorgeous

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

August anime arc is Himawari and Kawaki focused

https://twitter.com/NARUTOtoBORUTO/status/1549318125434286080
https://twitter.com/NARUTOtoBORUTO/status/1549318375486226434

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zetsu with Code powers should be fun

Can't wait for person A to hit person B because their attack went through zetsu A's claw and came out zetsu B's claw

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The new chapter is up on MangaPlus: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013788

It's fine but the way the author draws Sarada in the cover makes me deeply uncomfortable.

Yyyeah, ever since Sarada got her wardrobe change there's been a few brow-raising images in official media

The anime avoids it by keeping Sarada in her original outfit and doing nothing with her for months (years, now?) at a time

Meanwhile, Manga!Konohamaru continues to be an eyesore, hooray!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Pretty pointless manga chapter. I assume Salad was protected either by the glasses or the Sharingan.

Maybe because the Uchiha are descended from Indra Otsutsuki?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonna be kinda weird to adapt Sasuke's Story into the anime, given he's currently down a Rinnegan thanks to getting stabbed in the eye
Granted, filler's never cared much for the timeline, but still...

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUJil3YRgw

I've always heard Sarada is very popular and hearing Cherami Leigh voice her has me intrigued.

But gently caress, I never even finished Shippuden. I've always wanted to sit down and watch Naruto from start to finish and make up my mind on whether or not it's good. I need to do that before I get into Boruto. But man that's a lot of anime.

There's a fanmade Naruto Kai series that truncates the series down to 72 volume-length 1.5/2-hour "movies"

Alternatively, play the Ultimate Ninja Storm games

And...really, the Boruto series is mostly self-contained, so you're really not missing out on much watching it blind as its own thing (granted, 270+ episodes is a massive ask of anyone, and a lot of it isn't manga-related, but gives a lot of focus to the entire new cast to the point the manga feels incomplete without having watched the arcs surrounding the manga chapters)

The manga has 5 arcs
The anime has 23

The manga's first arc gets adapted from episodes 51-66
The manga's second arc gets adapted from episodes 141-151

Delphisage posted:

Haven't been reading or watching Bort. Has Sasuke done anything especially edgy or stupid after Naruto Gaiden?

Nope - he's pretty chilled out nowadays, and honestly the only people getting any focus in the series for a while now has been Boruto and Kawaki; Sarada and Mitsuki have barely been relevant for a while, and the anime's currently giving Himawari, Boruto's sister, the spotlight (although it's still primarily Kawaki-focused)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sasuke chapter 2

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Do we know how many chapters this miniseries is supposed to last out of curiosity?

The novel is 10 chapters, and we just reached the end of chapter one's events, so probably in the ballpark of 18-25 manga chapters depending on how they pace and show events

Can't wait to see how Sasuke handles everyone being interested in Sakura since they wear rings differently...

"Sasuke no."
"Amaterasu yes."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

So for those familiar with the novel this is based on, how involved is Sakura in this arc and at what point does she enter the picture?

She debuts in chapter 2 and is present for the rest of the novel

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't watch Boruto so forgive me but it's still wild to me that Itachi wasn't actually lying back in Part 1. Someone you love does in fact have to die to give you the Mangekyo. Maybe Tobirama was right about evil brain chakra.

So I guess, to be relevant to Boruto, Sarada needs to have someone die to be as strong as she can be. Again, very hosed up. Also she'll then have to steal someone's eyes to not go blind. Even more hosed up.

Very early on in Boruto Sarada activated her sharingan just because she was so happy to see her father, odds are there'll be a less traumatic way to get its upgrades

It's triggered by emotion, and was thought to involve negative emotions due to all the fighting the Uchiha have been subjected to

The Uchiha are capable of the greatest love and the greatest hate, so hopefully we'll see more of the former than the latter

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If I might offer some arcs to watch?

The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring (Episodes 19-24) - Sarada focus

Chunin Exam/Versus Momoshiki (Episodes 51-66) - Boruto focus

Mitsuki's Disappearance (Episodes 71-92) - Mitsuki focus

The rest is pretty much the manga chapter adaptations
Mujina Bandits (Episodes 141-151)

Kara Actuation (Episodes 157-175)

Ao (Episodes 178-187)

Kara Clash (Episodes 188-205)

Ōtsutsuki Awakening (Episodes 206-220)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's entirely possible that madara and sasuke are the only two to ever achieve eternal mangekyo. i guess kakashi sort of did so very briefly?

Obito's spirit inhabited Kakashi after his death against Kaguya which let him use both mangekyo and manifest Susanoo, rather than a proper EMS, which needs two pairs of eyes, rather than a shared pair split among two people

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Steam Ninja Scrolls Chapter 2

Ah, nothing like the crushing weight of expectations because of your parents

Poor Mirai

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Just so I’m clear, this is the same arc that was adapted into the Boruto anime a while back right?

Episodes 106-111, as an adaptation of the light novel

Kinda funny we have the same story in three mediums

(...I mean, there's also how many versions of the Momoshiki fight? Movie, anime, manga, game...)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sasuke chapter 3

Enter Sakura

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

At least Sarada's parents actually go out and do things

Naruto literally had to be kidnapped by Momoshiki and Isshiki to get him out of the village, and I'm looking forward to that happening a third time when we finally get to the events in the flash-forward at the start of the series where he's MIA

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sasuke's Story chapter 4
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/naruto-sasukes-story-the-uchiha-and-the-heavenly-stardust-manga-chapter-4/chapter/25879?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015127

If you like it then you should've put a ring on it, Sasuke
Better late than never

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Voted for Tenten in the vain hope she'll get to do something at last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Fans will be fans but how does one get that notion was ever on the table?

Probably because they saw the anniversary tribute video and thought that the redrawn scenes were from a new series rather than redrawn scenes for that specific video