Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After 700+ episodes between Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden, the Naruto series is finally over. But rather than end it here, they're continuing the series with a spinoff, featuring Naruto's son, Bolt Boruto, and his ninja team, lead by Konohamaru.

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWVScgN5VQ

This show will be simulcast on Hulu and Crunchyroll.

Main characters for the show:

Boruto Uzumaki

Naruto's oldest child. Like Naruto, is a prankster. After Naruto becomes Hokage, Boruto is upset that he's never around to be a father anymore. He ends up taking an interest in Sasuke's ninja life over his dad.

Sarada Uchiha

Child of Sasuke and KarinSakura. Suffers fatherhood abandonment issues because Sasuke is never home, doing secret missions. Becomes drawn to Naruto, and inspires to become Hokage herself. Has her sharigan activated. Glasses are a gift from Karin (who helped deliver her).

Mitsuki

Orochimaru's synthetic child. Born in a lab, he escapes and immigrates to Konoha. Befriends Boruto and has his own ninja way. Becomes the medic ninja for team Konohamaru.

Should I watch Shippuden before watching this?

Probably! It would also help to watch Naruto: The Last, and the Boruto movies, as those are considered official canon. Shippuden has 500 episodes, but about 40% of that is filler. Follow a filler guide to help you out: http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto-shippuden

I would highly advise skipping the filler as it's

1) Usually not good. The story feels disjointed, and the characters introduced in filler never come back.
2) It really messes with story flow. If you skip the filler, the regular story meshes a lot better.

If you want, you can always go back and watch the filler. The 3-tailed beast saga was good, and apparently Kakashi's ANBU story is good too.

What happened with the major characters?

A quick rundown:

Naruto: Saves the world alongside Sasuke. Loses his arm in an aftermath fight against Sasuke, but is gifted a new arm from Tsunade and her medical team. Marries Hinata after they travel to the moon together, and has 2 kids. Achieves his dream and becomes the 7th Hokage.

Sasuke: Redeems himself by saving the world with Naruto. Gets pardoned for his various war crimes by Kakashi, and decides to go into exile to atone for his sins. Also lost an arm in his fight against Naruto, but doesn't opt for a new arm because he doesn't think he deserves one due to his crimes against humanity, or something. He takes Sakura along for a trip where they get hitched, and have a kid.

Kakashi: Loses his sharigan eye in the 4th war, but Naruto with his super abilities gives him a new eye (no special abilities). Becomes the 6th Hokage after Tsunade retires. Eventually steps aside for Naruto.

Sakura: Helps Naruto & Sasuke win the war. Still loves Sasuke and has a kid with him. With Sasuke gone, it's up to her alone to raise Sarada, which turns out to be difficult for her.

Hinata: Naruto Senpai finally notices her. Knits him a scarf and they fell in love.

Shikamaru: After losing his dad in the war, he becomes an advisor to the Hokage's office. Has his own cool story arc. Falls in love with Temari (Gaara's sister) and marries her. Has a child named Shikadai that's Boruto's age.

Ino: Also loses her dad in the war. After rescuing Sai in Shikamaru's story arc, they date, get married and have a kid named Inojin.

Choji: Marries Karui from the land of lightning, and has a daughter named Chocho.

Kiba: Falls in love with a crazy cat lady. Has no kids, but many cats and dogs together.

Shino: Becomes a teacher at the academy. No love interest for him!

Neji: :rip: died saving Naruto in the war.

Rock Lee: Becomes proctor of the Chuunin exams. Has a child named Metal Lee. Who's the mom? :iiam:

Tenten: Kishimoto forgot about Tenten's existence. I almost did, too.

When does this show start?
First episode airs April 5. As mentioned, it'll be simulcast on both Hulu and Crunchyroll.

Will this show be any good?

Who knows! Apparently it will be more lighthearted than Shippuden. Hopefully it won't be the series' DBGT!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DisDisDis posted:

Salad is a good girl who deserves to be in a better anime franchise

They're just ripping off Dragon Ball now and naming their characters after vegetables.

(There's even a planet Salad in the DB universe too)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Freakazoid_ posted:

doesn't think what??

Oops I somehow didn't finish that sentence!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Larryb posted:

Well at least they're sticking with her original design rather than what she looks like in the current manga so that's good at least. Hope she gets handled well enough but I'm not holding my breath. By the way, how much involvement does Kishimoto actually have in this series (or, to go back to the Dragon Ball analogy, are we looking at a potential GT or a Super)?

Kishimoto is involved in that he created the idea of Boruto, but the manga is written by Ukyo Kodachi.The anime is supposed to go a different direction than the manga, though. Kishimoto is still involved in some sort of way (probably has creative input), and he's not completely divorced from the series like Toriyama was with DBGT. So hopefully it's more of a Super than a GT. He's done interviews about the show and says that he wants it to be more lighthearted than how Naruto ended, but it's somewhat of a reboot in that he wants younger viewers to be able to enjoy the show again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I watched the first episode this weekend. I'm a fan so far. Seems to go back to the original goofiness of Naruto (minus the older Boruto taking on an unknown target on top of a shattered Hokage rock foreshadow).

I still don't get why Konahamaru is leading Bort's team, when technically as a Sarutobi he should be leading the Cho-Shika-Ino team. Also, Chocho is a legit WoC that might be prominently featured!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sindai posted:

I totally forgot Shino was their teacher until this episode. Nobody wanted to marry a guy full of bugs. :smith:

Who's that other teacher with him that looks like Kurenai? They seem to have a thing going...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The only good Uchiha was Itachi, because he was the one character that had a lot of depth. the fact that he had to murder his clan or be murdered along with his clan was a tragedy.

Also yes Chocho is cool and good. My girlfriend is watching this with me, and she has little to no knowledge of Naruto in general, but seems to follow along fine. So far this show seems to do better with female characters than Shippuden did.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sarada: "I've never met my dad, I look nothing like my mom, and I've seen a picture of my supposed dad with a woman who has the same glasses as me. I'm starting to wonder if these people are my parents..."

Chocho: "I'm chubby like my dad, I inherited his expansion jutsu, and have dark skin and the bright hair just like my mom. Clearly these people aren't my parents!"

I think I've hated everything Sakura has said in this series. Then again, she's probably the worst written character of all.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the reason no one would give sarada a straight answer is because they didn't want to explain to her that everyone kind of hates her dad, with good reason. well, except sakura. that's a whole different mess.

It sounds like a great conversation though:

"Well, Sarada... your father abandoned the village to join up with the man who killed the third hokage, murdered his brother, murdered who was going to be the sixth hokage (yes he technically committed suicide but Konoha doesn't know that), committed genocide against the samurai, and is the reason why the Raikage and Naruto are missing their arms. He also tried to murder your mom at one point, but in her eyes that was them reaching second base because she has an extreme case of Stockholm Syndrome. But you seem well adjusted."

Have Tsunade or Kakashi tell it for maximum story effort.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pyrotoad posted:

We can scratch 'killed his brother' off the list, it was more like a 'forced to assist in his brother's needlessly traumatizing long-term suicide plot'. Like Itachi explicitly wanted Sasuke to kill him so he could return to the village as the hero who killed Itachi.

Yeah, I know it's incredibly complicated, especially when you factor in that apparently Itachi had some sort of terminal illness like stage 4 ninja cancer. But considering Itachi's death made Sasuke go "gently caress Konoha I'm gonna destroy that village" rather than what Itachi intended, well... I guess a least he comes to his senses eventually!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sasuke's one appearance in The Last is him using chidori to save Konoha from a falling meteor that would have basically been Pain all over again except no one's getting revived this time. So I guess Konoha owes him for that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Naruto's best friends are Shikamaru, Choji, Rock Lee, Kiba, Sai and Shino because like good friends they got him shitfaced before he lost his true freedom, and got him home to safety.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BlitzBlast posted:

It somehow turned into one (that's what I meant by rewarded), but before that Hinata was straight up willing to kill herself for the sake of someone she barely talked to.

The only reason it wasn't creepy is because Sakura was such a terrible character that Hinata looked way better.

If you're talking about the time Hinata threw herself at Pain to save Naruto, it sort of makes sense. Naruto was out there literally sacrificing himself against a threat against Konoha, and Hinata is probably going to die if Naruto fails anyways. And sure, they barely talked, and it was always a childhood crush that she had on him, which gives some sort of motivation for it. It was more motivation than almost everyone else had there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Himawari is going to terrify and torment poor Kurama.

She already has though, from that scene when she activated the Byakugan and chakra-gut punched Naruto, and it showed Kurama wincing at the same time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was pretty happy with that arc. I felt like Shin vs. Sakura was one of Sakura's better fights. And it was cool to see Naruto and Sasuke use their powers again.

Sakura loves her kid, but I wouldn't say she's the best mom. Her not really telling Sarada anything was kind of what led to this whole mess.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It seems weird to watch that arc and think that Salad is a hosed up kid. She's a young kid wondering about her dad, and is upset with how cryptic her mom is being about the whole thing. Naruto is the only person to be a father figure to her, so it's not surprising that she would want to idolize and be like him. As Dexo said, acting mature above your age is a pretty normal thing for kids. Salad is an introverted kid who values close relationships (see: Chocho) as opposed to the extroverted Bort who takes after his dad and wants to be friends with everyone.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It probably wouldn't hurt for Sasuke to explain to his daughter some Uchiha history and give a little bit of detail about Uncle Itachi.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Salad never found out what's better than a kiss! Speaking of whuch, Sakura totally wanted some dick, but Sasuke denied her.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In the flashback, Salad asks her mom what's better than a kiss, and Sakura starts to blush. To me, it's one of those "kids will interpret it as a forehead poke, but adults will interpret it differently."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Aurora posted:

I'm gonna have to ask everyone calling her Salad to also refer to Boruto as Bolt

No.

He's always gonna be Bort.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In today's episode of Boruto, baby boomer ninjas complain about those drat millenial ninjas and their participation trophies!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Konoha Street Journal: Millenials are Killing the Ninja Industry

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dryzen posted:

Greetings, whoever is holding the next OP back please set it free

Is there something you wanna see in the op, or?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

dogsicle posted:

we want a new song dammit

Oh that kind of op, lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/WeebSimpsons/status/912345150076145664/photo/1

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Was the trip to the hidden mist in the manga?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Shikadai looks exactly like Shikamaru, and Inojin looks exactly like Ino, with his genin outfit looking like how Sai dressed in Shippuden.

Chocho looks nothing like her dad, however. You'd have to know that he married Karui to make that connection.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In Boruto, it's better just not know that your favorite Naruto ninjas probably aren't going to show up very much. Sai got a surprisingly high amount of airtime teaching Inojin the ninja art jutsu.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't think Bort will be as strong as his dad as long as Naruto has Kurama chilling inside him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Even without Kurama, Naruto still has Sage mode.

Naruto is dumb powerful.

The thought was more "what could Naruto do that Boruto couldn't?" And my thought is Bort could technically learn sage mode at some point but he's never going to have a huge source of energy inside him, even if he's an Uzumaki.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

Alive, and in a fight?

Lee, Then probably Sakura/Shikamaru, then who cares.

Lee only knows taijutsu, he's too 1 sided. Shikamaru is too lazy to care. It's Sakura cause she's a Tsunade clone with strength and healing abilities. Choji is also super strong.

Hinata is a 5 tool prospect that never reaches her potential because she was made into a waifiu instead.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sai's existence was mainly so that there was a former inside member of Root to explain all the weird poo poo that Danzo had done. He got some good character development in the 4th great war when he fights his step brother, though. He never truly became the team 7 replacement, especially since the penultimate final battle ended up being the original team 7 versus Kaguya.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've mostly caught up and come to the conclusion that Mitsuki is totally gay for Bort.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rock Lee is married to the fountain of youth and taijutsu.

But in reality, Kishimoto said in an interview that they haven't drawn her / come up with who it is, so it's probably some random person made.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Umbreon posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. Did Kishi seriously think everyone wouldn't rabidly be wondering who was actually crazy enough to bang Rock Lee the moment they saw he had a kid?

Rock Lee is incredibly confident, and chicks love confidence. Plus he's a goddamn war hero.

I think the hilarious part is Metal Lee is neither of these things (yet).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

RealFoxy posted:

We didn't even see Rock Lee's own parents.

My honest feeling is that Rock Lee is an orphan, with his parents possibly killed in the 9 tails attack. When he's hospitalized after Gaara nearly kills him, no one shows up. The fact that he looks up to Might Gai like a dad seems to validate this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Salad basically gets the best of both world from her parents: super strong strength from her mom and eye hax from her dad. Bort so far has only shown partial strength from his dad (and his tenacity to inspire people, i guess) and nothing from his mom. It's pretty clear who the better one is.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mymla posted:

She doesn't kill anyone important, but she probably saved a few thousand people with her snail healing stuff in the war. And she made a new arm for Naruto. (Or was that Tsunade? I forget.)

And I guess she punched god once so narusasu could seal her.

Tsunade made the arm from cells from the first Hokage, similar to the stuff Yamato was injected with. She also made one for Sasuke but he rejected the implant because he was too emo about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Basically Sharingan is the super saiyan of ninja power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The speed at which they're going through the Chuunin exams is crazy. I was scrolling through old Naruto episodes and my god that lasted a long time. There was an episode dedicated to each fight.