Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Between children becoming an economic drain since the days in which they served as free labor for the family farm and current concerns about climate change and how future generations will live much worse and poorer lives, how is it justifiable to continue to have children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Well the whole continuation of the species thing is kind of important.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AceOfFlames posted:

Between children becoming an economic drain since the days in which they served as free labor for the family farm and current concerns about climate change and how future generations will live much worse and poorer lives, how is it justifiable to continue to have children?

Easily. It feels better without a condom.

Good thread, hope for you in the future.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Nobody asks to be born

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It never was, OP.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
It's not, OP. HTH.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i choose logic

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Bringing a conscious being into existence for any purpose is ethically indefensible.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TomViolence posted:

Bringing a conscious being into existence for any purpose is ethically indefensible.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If it's unacceptable for people who are poor or "economic drains" to live then that pretty clearly leads to some real bad places

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Think of all the lives you can save by not having children. If you don't have children, your children can't have children, and if none of your progeny ever exist, they can never die.

*taps side of head*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"If people knew the story of their own lives how many would then elect to live them?"
- Alfred Matthew "Weird Al" Yankovic

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

If it's unacceptable for people who are poor or "economic drains" to live then that pretty clearly leads to some real bad places

Who said anything about this

OwlFancier posted:

Think of all the lives you can save by not having children. If you don't have children, your children can't have children, and if none of your progeny ever exist, they can never die.

*taps side of head*

Yeah that's kinda the whole point

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Much like any form of consumption is unethical under capitalism, so is any form of reproduction.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ethically having kids is a terrible idea but from a practical standpoint there's no way to restrict procreation without threatening the stability of your government. even china's one child policy had tons of loopholes, exceptions, and was a giant pain in the rear end to enforce to the point that they're walking it back

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't it only a problem if you're in a country with an excessive growth rate? I was under the impression most first world countries hover around ~2 children per couple.

edit: Actually, from looking it up it seems like it's usually below 2.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't it only a problem if you're in a country with an excessive growth rate? I was under the impression most first world countries hover around ~2 children per couple.

from a population growth standpoint but there are other valid reasons for antinatalism, such as each new person being an environmental burden on the world, the high personal cost of child rearing, and the sheer philosophical brutality of creating a human with no choice to be born and endure an imperfect world full of suffering

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

boner confessor posted:

from a population growth standpoint but there are other valid reasons for antinatalism, such as each new person being an environmental burden on the world, the high personal cost of child rearing, and the sheer philosophical brutality of creating a human with no choice to be born and endure an imperfect world full of suffering

Yeah that is true; I guess a child born in a developed nation inherently creates a bigger environmental burden than one born in a poorer nation. Though it's hard to say if a drastic drop in population growth might lead to more overall suffering due to causing the worldwide economy to collapse.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
True Detective season 1 was really good.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah that is true; I guess a child born in a developed nation inherently creates a bigger environmental burden than one born in a poorer nation. Though it's hard to say if a drastic drop in population growth might lead to more overall suffering due to causing the worldwide economy to collapse.

eh, some population decline would be a good thing. it would be amazing for blue collar labor if all of a sudden you actually had to hunt for people to work at mcdonalds or wherever instead of just sorting through the first dozen applications in the stack for the best looking candidate

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

True Detective season 1 was really good.

And season 2 was disappointing poo poo which, much like existence, shouldn't be inflicted upon anyone.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Like Al Bundy got Peggy Wanker pregnant and was forced to marry her with the barrel of a shotgun between his shoulder blades, I married failure.

I got it pregnant in the backseat of my old dodge. I walked down the aisle and swore a vow to it.

Now it sits on my couch, gaining weight and watching daytime television. The red menace that calls my name, hanging on the last syllable as its voice inflects into a whine. The complaints of my sexual inadequacy are metaphors for my inability to accomplish anything. My children's lack of respect is all of the respect I've ever earned.

Day in, day out in this shoe store. She is a size 6 just like I'm not waiting to die. This is it. This is the rest of my life.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

TomViolence posted:

And season 2 was disappointing poo poo which, much like existence, shouldn't be inflicted upon anyone.

Season 2 owned too and it sucks the plebs got all in a bother about it.

Same people who were expecting Season 1 to end with Rust fighting a mystical monster Yellow King

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If the Irish don't keep breeding, what will we eat?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

OldTennisCourt posted:

Season 2 owned too

Season 2 has a scene where Vince Vaughn beats a gang leader unconscious and then pulls all his teeth out with a pair of pliers, and somehow manages to make that as boring and terrible as the rest of the season. It's trash and everyone hated it for good reason.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I reckon Cary Fukunaga's direction and the performance of the two lead actors pretty much carried season one. Pizzolatto's writing was mainly cribbed from Ligotti and Lovecraft and a sort of generic pulp detective style that gelled really well in season one, but when he turned that approach to basically wholesale ripping off James Ellroy it fell flat due to a lackluster cast and shifting classic noir clichées to an incongruous present day setting.

I mean if you don't consider the direction and cinematography to be a pretty integral draw for season one, you need to rewatch episode 4's stash house stickup again. The differences in formal and technical proficiency are pretty stark between the two seasons and that brought season two's lackluster and derivative writing to the fore to its detriment.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to have sex

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

I'm going to have sex

Check your privilege.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Season 2 has a scene where Vince Vaughn beats a gang leader unconscious and then pulls all his teeth out with a pair of pliers, and somehow manages to make that as boring and terrible as the rest of the season. It's trash and everyone hated it for good reason.

uh the dive bar witch owned

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nutting inside is real great, OP.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
We need children, OP. Who else will fight China and Russia in the Resource Wars 20 years from now?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Forceholy posted:

We need children, OP. Who else will fight China and Russia in the Resource Wars 20 years from now?

The resource wars, like everything else, will soon be automated. The human will slowly be erased and the self-replicating machine that takes our place will inherit the earth and carry on this perpetual grinding capitalist hellscape in our stead.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I see no reason why op should not have a mandatory vasectomy . Or their tubes tied.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nothing controls my seed.

KraftyMattKraft
Mar 28, 2017
I have two daughters. I can't tell you why my wife and I decided to have children. Would I change it or regrets? I think Louie CK said it best, “You look at the face of your beautiful, lovely child and you think two things at the exact same time: ‘I love this kid so much that it ‘s changed my whole life. I love other people more because of how much I love her. I love people that died years ago more. My love has traveled time because of how completely I love her and she loves me back. She’s completely given value to life that didn’t exist before and I regret every decision that led to her birth’.”

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Have a kid if you can not be a gently caress up with that kid.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
No. Don't have children. It doesn't matter, because someone else will. Suffering will continue to perpetuate. lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

if you're smart enough to reach this point in your logic, don't have a child. if you really really want to feel parental or something, there's a bunch of kids in foster care and orphanages that it would be way more altruistic to raise than your own dumb kid

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I am part of a Bene Gesserit breeding program to create the Kwisatz Haderach. It is my duty to reproduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I would no poo poo get a vasectomy if I could arrange it.

• Locked thread