Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Other than pure UW combat, is there anything UW nations do better than land nations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Which age is this?

Middle Age.

I ride bikes all day posted:

Other than pure UW combat, is there anything UW nations do better than land nations?

I don't think so. Pelagia is the one exception in that they can get a wish engine online with their alchemy bonus. They can wish for gems then alchemize those gems to get more pearls than they started with. Given Pelagia's pretender titles, this is what they're shooting for. We can confirm this once we get a look at their bless. If Pelagia took astral 9, well, we know what that means.

edit: I guess Rlyeh has some weird void and sanity stuff too. I dunno, I've never played them.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 6, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

I don't think they can choose any pretenders with blood either, does blood hunting work underwater?

No, it doesn't. Fishpeople virgins are safe.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
MA R'lyeh has some very very solid summons from their voidgate, along the lines of Agartha summons in power. They are however random and pseudo-uncontrollable so It's a crapshoot to it even being a thing. R'lyeh does have a solid astral setup and while they will not be throwing horrors around they will definitely be a threat for Big Water/Astral globals and likely a reliable caster of dispel. .

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

TGG posted:

MA R'lyeh has some very very solid summons from their voidgate, along the lines of Agartha summons in power. They are however random and pseudo-uncontrollable so It's a crapshoot to it even being a thing. R'lyeh does have a solid astral setup and while they will not be throwing horrors around they will definitely be a threat for Big Water/Astral globals and likely a reliable caster of dispel. .

There's a fair amount of irony that Lovecraft Mythos: the Nation has a harder time working into Blood Magic and summoning horrors than most other nations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
They do have exclusive access to the strange things from the void. Just not the horrors from beyond the veil. Important difference

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Speleothing posted:

They do have exclusive access to the strange things from the void. Just not the horrors from beyond the veil. Important difference

Good MA R'yleh feelings: Getting Vastness on turn 3 (so i'm told)

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice
Precision 15 and 4 mind blasts. Wow.

Is that a national hero, I assume?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If I recall correctly, nope - for one it doesn't have the unique tag. It is basically the best unit you can pull through the Void Gate though.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

You can actually have multiple of them, and depending on blessing they can be even more powerful since they're sacred.

Also oh boy, both Nazca and Asphodel are in the party, all we're missing is Ermor for maximum :skeltal:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

These Kelp Fortresses are your white whale.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

Ramc posted:

These Kelp Fortresses are your white whale.

From Poseidon's heart I search for thee?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

FrenchBen posted:

You can actually have multiple of them, and depending on blessing they can be even more powerful since they're sacred.

Also oh boy, both Nazca and Asphodel are in the party, all we're missing is Ermor for maximum :skeltal:

It's a huge stretch to try to game around that though considering that Ryleh are the only nation capable of getting them on a big rng, and Ryleh isn't a bless-nation as a rule.

So Tagichatn I realize we are fairly far away from it LP post wise but what is your end game with OCE? As far as I can tell you've got a decent if pricey amphibious line-up of nationals but pure sea guys will likely out class you in the water, as will most land nations out of it. And your nations natural magical access to N and W with a small amount of A/E aren't really conducive to big flashy world breaking spells.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 7, 2017

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

It's a huge stretch to try to game around that though considering that Ryleh are the only nation capable of getting them on a big rng, and Ryleh isn't a bless-nation as a rule.

So Tagichatn I realize we are fairly far away from it LP post wise but what is your end game with OCE? As far as I can tell you've got a decent if pricey amphibious line-up of nationals but pure sea guys will likely out class you in the water, as will most land nations out of it. And your nations natural magical access to N and W with a small amount of A/E aren't really conducive to big flashy world breaking spells.

I didn't have an endgame in mind since I was a newbie (still am) and had never played Oceania or any nature heavy nation before. Nature has some good buffs though and good evocations although not game-ending ones.

Turn 10

Let’s take a look at the messages.

We get a friendly message from Caelum but we already chatted on IRC and negotiated a NAP. Nothing from Abysia unfortunately but he didn’t attack us which is a good sign. With our scout we can see he doesn’t have PD in one of his provinces so we can at least retaliate if he does do something.

Conjuration 2 complete which doesn’t net us much beyond summon water power.

We found a magic site, not a fort but I’m not going to turn my nose up at nature gems. It’s been six turns since our prophet died so now we can make a new one. The aphroi lord is our best bet because he is just a regular commander. Making a mage the prophet means they are spending valuable scriptable turns on blessings and whatnot when they could be casting spells. I renamed him prophet to make him easier to find. Prophetizing him loses a turn but the domspread is worth it.

We win one battle and lose the other. Turns out Pelagia had moved more units into that province so our force of 10 dudes routed although we only lost a few. It’s not much of a problem though, they routed into a province with commanders who are duly picking them up. Also Pelagia messaged me on IRC, looking for the alliance I offered earlier. I figured this battle is a good enough answer.

Well, not every event is good but at least this bad event has an upside. Sometimes the bad events give a ton of negative scales and like, 3 death gems. Unfortunately, magic increases do nothing unless it's a province with researchers which, of course, that province doesn't have. I guess our mages get less fatigue if we happen to fight there? Oh well.

So, what's going on next?

Our shambler chief is building a fort and once my mage gets there, she can build a temple and lab and finish up our staging area. I’m also buying some mercs in that province to punch up our offensive army. 50 ichtyid warriors is nothing to sneeze at.

Our northern army forges ahead into independent territory and we can see that Pelagia doesn’t own most of the surrounding provinces so we should be safe from a bump. I wouldn’t be worried if we did but still. I think I will site search for the fort just in case. I can also put down a temple and a lab so my mage can pick up some water gems. By then I should be able to summon lesser water elementals. Atlantis is moving up but I’m not sure how much steam his army has. I definitely have the upper hand in terms of water provinces and possibly land provinces but Pelagia itself is a big prize, you get great gold and gem income plus a fort and lab.

Oceania is nice in that only two of my units are cap only. I’m not building aphroi at all since they are way overcosted but aphroi commanders are nice. The 80 leadership is twice that of the other inspirational commander but they do lose the holy levels.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tagichatn please tell us about your god like the turn before he wakes up it is very important for reasons.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

By popular request, I'll talk about my god before this turn.

Pretender Spotlight

So uh, here he is. Swimming in Fish and Crab poo poo, the Father of Monsters. I mean, that's what aquatic people do all day. You know how birds poo poo everywhere? Imagine if you had to breathe that in all the time too. That's another reason why underwater nations suck.

I actually didn't have much of a plan with this guy. People in IRC said he was cool so I took him. They also said he was good at expanding, which he's not. His innate weapon is really good but he doesn't have enough protection to get through battles unharmed, even with fear. He also doesn't have recuperation so I definitely didn't want him taking hits.

I went water because hey, water is good underwater and death because it's a magic path that my nation lacks. With water and death, I can summon evil naiads that come with w3d3 which is pretty good and it only costs water gems. Death 5 lets me cast some cool stuff too, like burden of time if it comes to that.

Turn 11

New turn, new messages. Oh look, a proclamation from us! What could it be?

Yes, it’s our Prophet becoming a prophet. I've gotten in the habit of renaming my prophets to something catchy, even later in the game, because you can lose track of which commander is your prophet pretty easily when you're up to hundreds of mages.

Pretty boring turn this time unfortunately but we’ll take a look.

Our scout catches a battle of Abysia vs some indies, he wins handily.

Hopefully he doesn’t move towards Coast Haven since I sent a message saying I would take that myself but he also didn’t message me back. It’d be a better idea for him to finish off his cap circle but players can be unpredictable. If he doesn’t take it, I will send an army to grab it next turn with the aphroi lord building this turn.

Our expansion army won pretty handily, the commander is going to search while I build an indie commander to start a fort if she doesn’t find one. Even if she does, he can start building the fort upgrades.

The next message is an unexpected event in our land province.We gained...a sage? He’s a good researcher which is nice but we also don’t have a lab in that territory. I’m not sure it’s worth building one just so he can research.

Lastly, we had some commanders patrolling and the province is now safe and orderly. Our bid for the mercenaries has failed, they got picked up by Atlantis. Better than Pelagia getting them but it would’ve been nice to have them.

Our prophet will move north into more friendly territory but then he’ll be able to take over the island adjacent to Pelagia. Our commanders in the south will link up while we build a few shamblers.

My scout has found out something interesting, Pelagia forgot to buy PD in this province. That means that a scout can easily grab it which I will do the same turn I attack his other province. Also his scales are terrible, 3 turmoil and 2 sloth? I don’t see how he could afford to build any units like that. I assume he has a crazy bless but I’m not too worried since he won’t be able to actually produce many sacreds. Pelagia sacreds are loving scary too but they're not amphibious and therefore stuck underwater.

Join us next turn for the start of year 2!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What scales and what dominion power did you go for yourself?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

What scales and what dominion power did you go for yourself?

I went order 2, production 1, heat 2, growth 2, luck 2 and magic 1 with dominion 7. Going without a major bless left me a lot of room to take some good scales.

Haha, this is amazing! Nice art Ramc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Tagichatn posted:

I went order 2, production 1, heat 2, growth 2, luck 2 and magic 1 with dominion 7. Going without a major bless left me a lot of room to take some good scales.

Is there any point to taking Heat/Cold scales unless you're one of the specific nations with units that benefit from it?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

PurpleXVI posted:

Is there any point to taking Heat/Cold scales unless you're one of the specific nations with units that benefit from it?

Free up points for something else?

Do the temp scales even matter for water nations?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, most nations treat temp scales as just free PG build points. They do affect income, but temp scales will naturally change throughout the year anyways, so even a +/-3, which is listed as -15%, will only affect you some of the time - and you can use those points to get scales that give you permanent income boosts. If it happens to be a nation that actually wants a certain temp and starts in that direction, it just means they get less points as they likely just push it up to 3.

As for water nations there's some slight effect, but it's mostly irrelevant. Deep sea provinces completely ignore them, but other sea provinces are slightly affected, as are any owned land provinces obviously. I want to say sea provinces will go to a max of +/-1 off their normal value.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Each step you go away from normal on the heat/cold scales gets you build points you can spend on other good things for your pretender and scales. When picking heat/cold, you have to keep in mind that provinces get 1 level hotter in the summer and 1 level colder in the winter.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

For turbo sperg purposes, bear in mind that Summer starts turn 4, so ticking your temp scale down by 1 is a good strat for getting extra gold in the very early game. Temp maxes out at 3, so if you're nation is hot 2 or cold 2, pinging the slider up to 3 gets you extra points without the additional negative effect from summer/winter.

Lastly, Earf Snake is cold blooded, so don't go cold scales with one like I did once. :downs:

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 10, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Oceania get access to those silly bishops that are literal monk fish?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm surprised IRC said the Father of Monsters is good iirc most things like him are total crap.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Does Oceania get access to those silly bishops that are literal monk fish?

Bishop Fish is a generic spell. If you have the paths and an underwater lab anyone can cast him.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gridlocked posted:

I'm surprised IRC said the Father of Monsters is good iirc most things like him are total crap.

They lied to Tagichatn in order to sabotage his game! :ohdear:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Torrannor posted:

I highly doubt that. IRC is very friendly with sharing strat tips even in games people already have an interest in themselves.

I think someone must have said it's a cool god, but not a GOOD god. I'll have to double check what chasis's OCE can get before I pass comment on if he had any better choices.

Edit: Yeah he has Erfsnek as long as it wasn't banned. Erfsnek would have been the expander god of choice. Ancient Kraken also a good choice for just U-Water. An imprisoned or w/e the other option is Statue of the Underworld could have also been used to provide D path and a good mid-late game ritual caster/path guy.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 10, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Erfsnake is almost always banned these days.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Corbeau posted:

Erfsnake is almost always banned these days.

I still pick it when I don't know what to pick.

I also lose most games I play or go AI in the first 3 turns as I realism I forgot to play. (sorry again jsoh, poo poo got busy literally the day after the game started)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I like to name my mages with rare crosspaths and prophets in ALL CAPS to make them even easier to find.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speleothing posted:

I like to name my mages with rare crosspaths and prophets in ALL CAPS to make them even easier to find.

Name your pretender .SOVEREIGN.CITIZEN. and that'd be a great combo.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Don't worry, people were just joking around about how awesome he is, I guess because he has a torch. It wasn't like I went in there asking what the best pretender was. Earth snake is definitely better but I really don't like using earth snake. It feels so blah because of how good it is plus my expansion is good even without it. It'd be nice if other pretenders were improved so they could expand awake but most stuff besides earth snake can either just outright lose and die or picks up so many afflictions it becomes useless in combat.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tagichatn posted:

Don't worry, people were just joking around about how awesome he is, I guess because he has a torch. It wasn't like I went in there asking what the best pretender was. Earth snake is definitely better but I really don't like using earth snake. It feels so blah because of how good it is plus my expansion is good even without it. It'd be nice if other pretenders were improved so they could expand awake but most stuff besides earth snake can either just outright lose and die or picks up so many afflictions it becomes useless in combat.

The big awake turn 1 expanders are the SNEK itself which as pointed out earlier is basically banned in 99% of games now days for how stupidly powerful it is or what ever big monster chasis you can get your hands on with fear/awe/earth magic and just juicing it up with Dom and E to make it harder to kill.

Son of Fenrer is a particular favorite of mine cause it's got OK health, great Fear, comes with some built in chaff that also has fear, stealth if you want it and while it doesn't have natural E access it has W and N which can be used for a few reasonable defensive buffs. Also its a fuckin' giant wolf.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 11, 2017

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

This event doesn't just give you a sage, it also tells you that the library of time is somewhere near that province. It lets you recruit S3 dudes, gives you four pearls a turn, and gives you full access to the score graphs of every player in the game. It's an amazing site, and well worth astral searching the surroundings (assuming you weren't going to do that anyway).

e: I just checked, and that event is actually a red herring around 20% of the time. This loving game...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wolfsbane posted:

This event doesn't just give you a sage, it also tells you that the library of time is somewhere near that province. It lets you recruit S3 dudes, gives you four pearls a turn, and gives you full access to the score graphs of every player in the game. It's an amazing site, and well worth astral searching the surroundings (assuming you weren't going to do that anyway).

e: I just checked, and that event is actually a red herring around 20% of the time. This loving game...

:xcom: but you know :dominions:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

drat, that's good. Unfortunately I get zero astral so even if I did know that, I couldn't do any searching.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

drat, that's good. Unfortunately I get zero astral so even if I did know that, I couldn't do any searching.

Actually, the guy you got through the event has 1 astral. Alchemize yourself a couple pearls and cast Astral Probing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Yay! It's another Ramc webcomic!

Oh I do hope that SiFaCS finds his kelp fortresses, he loves them so much.

• Locked thread