Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Tagichatn posted:

Hah! I assume you told him to pound sand?

Not at all; it was a quite beneficial proposal. I may already have been moving on it beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

goatface posted:

Marignon is Spanish Inquisition/conquistadors. They sail rather than swim.

You're mixing different ages up. MA Marignon is more generic Inquisition, with a bunch of crossbows and knights. They have absolutely nothing related to the sea, sailing or otherwise.

On the other hand, LA Marignon goes full-on Spanish Inquisition combined with demon worship, and suddenly gets sailing all over the place on their commanders. We're in MA though, so it's not going to be in this game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Not at all; it was a quite beneficial proposal. I may already have been moving on it beforehand.

Oh, was it just land stuff then? I don't think he got any help for the UW war but I guess I wouldn't know if it were gems or gold being traded.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Turn 19

More sea lions, whee! I’m not sure how good they actually are but we’ll see at some point.

They're decent units but suffer from shambler syndrome where they get two attacks with short length and low protection. I imagine they'd get repelled and take a lot of damage from most hits but their hp is good and hey, no upkeep! Having chaff is pretty important as I'd much rather have some lovely sea lions die than my 30g centaurs.

None of them died in the indie battle at least. We only lost one centaur, not too shabby. The second battle also went well, which if you remember is a throne province. I’ll show off what they got but it’s basically a big indie province, meaning the throne must be level 1.

Their army.

Our centaurs charge in, taking minimal damage from arrows. The mage is just casting tangle vines , not too scary but it does gently caress over the guy getting hit. My centaurs really rely on their defense skill and spells like tangle vines are bad for them. But it’s not a large area of effect so the centaur that got tangled, isn’t actually being attacked.

The melee units quickly rout and our centaurs clean up.

Here’s the throne, 1 domspread and order +1. That’s nice for our coastal provinces at least. Oceania has a special ability where non-coastal provinces get order +1 and coastal provinces get -1 order. So all of our underwater provinces are already order 3 because my dominion is order 2. I do have a lot of coastal farmland though so this will definitely help but it’ll take a few turns for my prophet to get there. He’s not storming Pelagia because there’s not much point. There’s nothing to bless plus my god is there anyway and my god gives more of a morale bonus to troops anyway.

Two events, one good, one bad. A handful of death gems are nice but that’s a lot of unrest. It’s going to kill the income in that province but I don’t care enough about it to patrol it down.

Last but certainly not least, Pelagia’s fort has been breached! It’s happening! Normally I would send in a scout or something to see what he has, but honestly I’m not too worried about Pelagia given how little fight he’s put up. I’m just gonna storm the fort next turn.

Now for manuevering. Our 40 satyrs now have a stealthy commander and are moving to Atlantian territory. A second stealthy army is in the works. Our first scout reaches Atlantis, some units and a small PD. We’ll be able to see more next turn with multiple scouts moving in.

I thought about building a fort in the throne province. Marignon actually did not attack even though they could’ve taken it easily, opting for an adjacent indie province. Now it turns out Pangaea is to the west. Either nation could be hostile to me since people don’t like underwater nations getting on land, much less owning a throne. Pan wouldn’t commit to peace so I think it’s too risky to start a fort at this time.

Honestly I didn’t lose much taking the province and it’s making 140g per turn so it already paid for the units I lost. If someone grabs it from us, then we can just siren the poo poo out of any commander trying to build a fort.

Tune in next turn to see a conquered Pelagia! Or see my army completely destroyed in an embarrassing manner!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tagichatn posted:

Last but certainly not least, Pelagia’s fort has been breached! It’s happening! Normally I would send in a scout or something to see what he has, but honestly I’m not too worried about Pelagia given how little fight he’s put up. I’m just gonna storm the fort next turn.

Tune in next turn to see a conquered Pelagia! Or see my army completely destroyed in an embarrassing manner!

Blind storming forts may not be clever strategy, but it adds to the fun for the viewers by keeping things unpredictable. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think Marignon could have attacked that throne prov, it's across a water border and it's not winter.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 9, 2017

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
I'm pretty sure that item also gives horror marks. They really need to update the text description.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

W-what did you do, Tagichatn?

What did you do!?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I...I didn't know! Not sure if I'm worried about the horrors or memes.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

This guy gets it

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

The Parking Lot is Full. That comic was hosed.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Turn 20

A momentous turn! Well, there’s a bunch of messages at least. We finished conjuration 4. I think I said I was going alteration earlier but people in IRC said conjuration is better for underwater stuff. This turn at least we got school of sharks which seems like a cool spell, I can’t wait to try it out.

More sea lions. They aren’t great but they don’t cost upkeep and my upkeep is super high at this point. None of my good mages are sacred so they have full upkeep.

Then a battle that...we lost? Well poo poo. Not a ton of PD but a decent amount.

My shamblers just poo poo the bed basically. They just get torn to pieces. Not much protection or defense plus a length 0 attack means they lose badly. We didn’t even kill the knight of the deep. At least our mage survived. Maybe she would have won if had cast shark attack?

At least our indie battle went off without a hitch, only a single loss. Our sea lions get some kills, they’re not great but do good damage if they can hit. They have the same problem as shamblers though with two attacks but both are length 0. This also means they get hit by poison barbs although I don’t know if Atlantis or Pelagia has any units with those.

Two events, both bad. Misfortune is always in effect while magic is only useful in provinces with researchers so that province is just gonna generate worse events I guess.

We caught a Marignon scout in our throne province and killed him. There are friendly provinces nearby so he could’ve retreated safely but I guess he wasn’t scripted. Our patrollers also reduced some unrest.

Ok now the event we’ve all been waiting for! I was a little worried Pelagia would have some bullshit in his fort but we’ll see.

Here are my troops

And his troops. Nice shamecube bud. Not too scary imo. Most of the troops are chaff although he has a number of mermages and kraken.

No sacreds which I was worried about. His god is here of course, a giant jellyfish.

So yeah, that’s why his scales are garbage. Double bless but not enough scales to actually build any sacreds plus the jellyfish doesn't even get death naturally so he had to spend a shitton of points to get it to 9. It's a big reason why he’s doing so poorly. He could have some devastating magic but really, there’s only so much you can do underwater not to mention he doesn't have a single extra fort. It does have some gems though.

Lots of summon water power, that means he does have some conjuration.

And a baby water elemental! The pretender cast that one so that’s probably the most I have to worry about. He does have a mind blast attack but only one isn’t too scary. 100+ ilithids are a lot scarier and harder to counter. Their water strikes take out a few of my guys and cast another small elemental.

Troops get jammed up in the entrance, Unlike a land fort, I don’t have to worry about any arrows from the towers. This goes on for a few turns, the water elementals can’t even squeeze in there. My poo poo satyrs rout of course.

We grind away at the units in the entrance while their mages do most of the damage. Our pretender goes off script and casts school of sharks. You can see a bunch around the battlefield but they’re pretty poo poo. A far cry from the sharks ridden by shark knights that have a loving length 5 bite for 20 damage.

Some of them spawned on the other side though so that’s pretty cool. If they can do a little damage then it’s probably worth it. In a non-fort battle, they’ll be more useful since an attack on a shark is one that isn’t hitting my units. edit: free summon spells like this are actually super good even if the units suck because they can spawn behind and attack mages. A mage in melee is a mage that's not casting spells and even a lovely bug can kill a mage. My mages are pretty tough but many of them are old men wearing robes.

Eventually Pelagia takes too many losses and starts routing. I guess a shark in your butt can hurry you along. That still leaves the water elementals gumming up the entrance and they don’t rout. I didn’t know this but water elementals get regeneration underwater.

Our units finally break through while sharks nip at their merbutts.

His pretender takes a ton of damage. Turns out jellyfish aren’t that tough! Who would’ve thought? It dies a turn later and we clean up, taking Pelagia!

You can see our losses here, not too bad for killing a pretender and taking his cap.

You can see our new gem income plus gold income. It’ll take a few turns to clear out his lovely scales but a new temple will speed that along.

Our sieging army moves to take Pelagia’s last province. Sneaky armies move out towards Atlantis.

Our sage finally finished the fortress, I guess he was useful after all? I think it is actually worth building a lab there since it has good land connections and hey, a new fort means more mages.

We can also see a bit more of Atlantis’ territory including his capital. Not much PD in his provinces on this side either so our sneaky armies should do ok.

Join us next turn for the end of the Pelagian menace!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
How many underwater nations are there in Dom 4, anyway? Oceania, Pelagia, Atlantis and R'lyeh? I was wondering whether it might be possible to do an entirely underwater game, everyone picks an underwater nation, because if they're weaker than the land nations, maybe they might be more balanced against each other.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's been tried, I understand it was terrible.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

How many underwater nations are there in Dom 4, anyway? Oceania, Pelagia, Atlantis and R'lyeh? I was wondering whether it might be possible to do an entirely underwater game, everyone picks an underwater nation, because if they're weaker than the land nations, maybe they might be more balanced against each other.
Very droll.

Here is the faction list, though:

In EA:

Atlantis
R'lyeh
Pelagia
Oceania
Therodos (spooky ghosts)

In MA:

Atlantis
R'lyeh
Pelagia
Oceania
Ys (overpriced bad kelp guys + elves)

In LA:

R'lyeh (that's it, although there are several factions that can take a dip underwater)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It could be done with badnations:

I mean, it's a bad idea, but it could be done.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It'd be worthwhile just to quarantine aquatic nation playing fuckers for a few months.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

At least Corbeau's map generator doesn't do a water start by default.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tagichatn is the capital fortress for Pelagia made out of kelp?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It should be a basalt castle.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I've only played Dominions 3 so I don't know anything about Pelagia but isn't death 9 a pretty poor choice for a bless? At least I remember it being pretty underwhelming in 3. Plus it's on a pretender that doesn't start with death like the op pointed out so it cost a ton of design points. I guess the 3 water was there to summon the water/death mages that were mentioned in this thread earlier? So he wanted both a bless and a strategy to get onto land (skeleton spam?) but it seems like he made too many compromises to get that in the pretender design. What kind of sacreds does Pelagia have?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's a terrible pretender design. Even worse than mine this game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Really expensive aquatic knights and really expensive, amphibious-but-in-iron-armour, slow, heavy infantry. They might have been pushing for the early BoT, but they're the wrong nation for it really.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I've only played Dominions 3 so I don't know anything about Pelagia but isn't death 9 a pretty poor choice for a bless? At least I remember it being pretty underwhelming in 3. Plus it's on a pretender that doesn't start with death like the op pointed out so it cost a ton of design points. I guess the 3 water was there to summon the water/death mages that were mentioned in this thread earlier? So he wanted both a bless and a strategy to get onto land (skeleton spam?) but it seems like he made too many compromises to get that in the pretender design. What kind of sacreds does Pelagia have?

I think f9 has a better major/minor bless but maybe they wanted the death for something special although I don't know what that would be. There's only a single spell that needs d9 and that's utterdark, there aren't even many at d8 or d7. Maybe casting utterdark and whatever bullshit astral stuff would've worked if they could've had the seas uncontested but those scales meant they lost the UW war before it even began.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There aren't even good scaling summons in D. He clearly wanted an infinite wish endgame coupled with tartarians (at D7), but didn't really think through what it would take to get there.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

:eyepop:

Love the smug smile on the mer-rear end in a top hat with the banner, now Oceania's victory will never be forgotten!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So why don't they just swim...over the wall??

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

All those weapons and equipment weight them down so that they spend half their swimming time pushing against the sea floor to not crash in it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It reminds me of a song...

There are no fingerprints
Deep under water
Nothing to tie one to a crime
And if you seek vengeance
All you need are instruments of pain

You need your

Knives? Check.
Rope? Check.
Dagger? Check.
Chains? Check.
Rocks? Check.
Laser Beams? Check.
Acid? Check.
Body Bag? Check.

Murmaider [x16]

But beware
For when you quench your bloodthirst
Others will seek vengeance on you
And they won't rest
Until you're dead

They'll have their

Shiv? Check.
Pipe? Check.
Hammer? Check.
Axe? Check.
Subject? Check.
Location? Check.
Desire? Check.
Vengeance? Check.

Hold your breath, swim and strain
The smell of death, can't escape
Blood will cloud and drift away
Attract the murders of Murmaids
It's so cold they all know

What you've done, you can't run
Vengeance is the law for thee
A thousand leagues below the sea
You've been tracked, you've been seen
Murdering the next of kin
Ate their hearts drank their blood

Washed your fins in blackened mud
Now you swim try to hide
Heart beats faster from inside
Thought it was a big charade
Your life was ended by Murmaids.

Murmaider [x16]

Swords? Check.
Saws? Check.
Clubs? Check.
Claws? Check.
Hatred? Check.
Anger? Check.
Mermaid? Check.
Murder? Check.

MURDER! MURDER! MURMAID MURDER! X4

Your life was ended by mermaids.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I've only played Dominions 3 so I don't know anything about Pelagia but isn't death 9 a pretty poor choice for a bless? At least I remember it being pretty underwhelming in 3.

Death bless is different in dom4 but yes

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Poil posted:

It reminds me of a song...

By Dethklok

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Turn 21

Two events in Ryd.

Marignon attacks and beats the indies, then we attack. The indies only kill a few Marignonian units but we don’t do much better and lose pretty badly. Let’s take a look.

The first engagement goes ok, we don’t melt to his sacred cavalry.

You can see they have a few minor blesses, air and fire. The crossbows hurt unfortunately.

We give a good account but they just have too many units. 90+ to our 40. If we had had 90 centaurs, I bet we would’ve won. In future battles, I will script a small squad of centaurs to attack archers cause those crossbowmen are vicious and our troops generally have small shields.

Our commander survives but he’s just a lovely shambler. We’ll move him back and see what happens. Marignon sent us a message on IRC but it wasn’t exactly a declaration of war. Still, I don’t want to risk building a fort and losing it.

In the next battle, we take Pelagia’s last province fairly easily. Most of the casualties were mercs whose contract is up soon. Somehow they all ended up in front, weird huh?

Another army takes another indie province. This one is actually interesting because it has amber clan.

Their mages are actually more efficient researchers than anything I have and water 2 isn’t bad. I’ll be moving a mage here to build a lab and probably a temple. We do have some magic so cheapo researchers are good.

An event in blue waters. Pretty obviously means an indie force attacking us so I up the PD to deal with it. I actually do have an army there but it’s the stealthy army and I don’t want them slowed down or revealed.

Last event is telling us what we already know: Pelagia is defeated. Having no provinces will do that.

Our sage can finally fulfill his life’s mission: to research. We also have a capricorn there to search, wastes usually have some magic sites. Sage may as well search too, just in case. Astral pearls are pretty valuable even if you don’t have astral mages. We’re also making more dudes for the war in most of our forts, stealthy armies are moving out. They will be in place when the NAP is up to quickly take some of Atlantis’ backyard.

Join us next turn for a gift of blood money!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Turn 22

Another turn, another chance for things to go wrong! Well that first event is pretty nice at least. Marignon has given us 1500 gold. I made a deal to vacate the throne I took for Marignon to take. There was no NAP along with it so I can still attack Marignon if I feel like it and a single point doesn’t really bring him that much closer to victory while 1500 is quite a lot of money. I’ll probably annoy him with sirens while I beat Atlantis and work up the armies to invade on land.

Asphodel takes a throne.

3 searches, no magic sites. Pretty lovely but oh well.

We can see the fight where Marignon took our throne province. It had 25 PD and 4 centaurs I forgot about so they actually did quite a bit of damage. Marignon didn’t send any knights and their regular infantry isn’t nearly as tough.

Our expansion went well but Atlantis finally took this indie province but he can’t expand any further without breaking our NAP.

A nice event, never gonna turn down free gold and our mercenaries left us. Maybe we will rehire them when we fight Atlantis.

Anyway, I am buying tons of units with all this gold. You can see here that Atlantis is prepping his armies. I kinda screwed up here, I wanted an army in the grandfather to move across Anphalia down to Atlantis’ territory but I lost track of turns and now it’s too late. I could’ve been able to cut him off but we still have our stealthy armies that should be able to do some damage before he knows it.

Tune in next turn for the last calm turn before the storm! UW war part 2 coming soon!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

B-but you need throne points to win.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ramc posted:

B-but you need throne points to win.

Asphodel just grabbed that extremely powerful Throne, better watch out for him.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Someone is bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Poor Atlantis bastards.

• Locked thread