Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah man I let R'yleh get a hold of so land forts when playing as Ulm (not that I could stop him, loving mind blasters ruined my slow moving doods) and it didn't end well.

Illithids are magic beings. MA Ulm has Iron Darts and Iron Blizzard. Get a decent number of smiths behind a bunch of infantry and just tear them apart. Illithids are also not cheap or sacred, so the upkeep stacks up fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

It’s not too impressive, just one dominion spread and some blood slaves per turn. Good for blood nations but I’m not sure it’s enough to break into blood.

Uh, no, this is an incredibly good throne to get for anyone (bar possibly a water nation due to difficulties of using blood magic underwater. Or Ashen Empire/Lemuria). Even without any independent blood hunting or events, he'll have enough blood slaves to empower a mage into it by turn 19, which is still really early. Most non-blood nations trying to bootstrap into blood will only just barely be getting a mass of scouts/priests together at that point to start blindly hunting a province, let alone already having enough slaves for empowerment to really get the ball rolling.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Specifically, it's Nazca's prophet.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I ride bikes all day posted:

Precision 15 and 4 mind blasts. Wow.

Is that a national hero, I assume?

If I recall correctly, nope - for one it doesn't have the unique tag. It is basically the best unit you can pull through the Void Gate though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, most nations treat temp scales as just free PG build points. They do affect income, but temp scales will naturally change throughout the year anyways, so even a +/-3, which is listed as -15%, will only affect you some of the time - and you can use those points to get scales that give you permanent income boosts. If it happens to be a nation that actually wants a certain temp and starts in that direction, it just means they get less points as they likely just push it up to 3.

As for water nations there's some slight effect, but it's mostly irrelevant. Deep sea provinces completely ignore them, but other sea provinces are slightly affected, as are any owned land provinces obviously. I want to say sea provinces will go to a max of +/-1 off their normal value.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Underwater nations are TERRIBLE for learning the game, online play or otherwise. A lot of commonly used spells don't work underwater so you get no experience in facing or using them, movement is so limited it teaches you nothing about preparing rapid response forces, and nations on land are going to tend to ignore you in the diplomacy game because there's little you can do to affect them for a long time, and vice versa.

Aside from the few that actually can get on land vaguely effectively, water nations are mainly just for gimmicky builds and/or just setting up dickish globals that no one else can effectively respond to.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What happened is that the "metal armor/weapons rust underwater" thing was only added in a patch early last year, as prior to that the rusting mechanic only existed as the aftereffect of certain spells. Illwinter just didn't bother to go through all the equipment the various UW races used when they did so and modify those that this screwed over. And they're pretty slow in regards to major patches, so they only just tweaked the tags on some, not all, of the UW equipment adversely affected in a very recent patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

goatface posted:

Marignon is Spanish Inquisition/conquistadors. They sail rather than swim.

You're mixing different ages up. MA Marignon is more generic Inquisition, with a bunch of crossbows and knights. They have absolutely nothing related to the sea, sailing or otherwise.

On the other hand, LA Marignon goes full-on Spanish Inquisition combined with demon worship, and suddenly gets sailing all over the place on their commanders. We're in MA though, so it's not going to be in this game.

• Locked thread