Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
gently caress yes more Dom4.

I really should go sign up for another game. Preff one where I don't side with R'yleh and gently caress over the only person who was capable of teaming up with me to defend against them (sorry Pan). Or roll with Niffelheim and start next to two fire nations who immediately tear my face off because my pure existence next to them is an affront to nature (got wrekd by super blessed WOTFE's)

Lol you're playing Oceania. I hope your ready to get ruined by most other water nations, also most land nations. Disclaimer: I don't actually know how well Oceania scales up against other water nations but I remember them being unpopular, with lackluster magic access and expensive-but-not-really-good unit. I always preferred R'yleh for the gimicky BS or Atlantas

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tagichatn posted:

Even this far in the game, I'm not sure how good Oceania is compared to other water nations. I'll probably never know firsthand since I don't plan on playing water nations again.

Well, maybe Ys in a badnations game. I love their ridiculously expensive sacreds.

As you summised earlier it's a thrown-together nation of underwater Pan-a-likes basically there to support a few units whose flavour is neat (Capricorns) but doesn't really gel with other nations, and for some reason isn't just a straight up Pan uwater summon (probs because making pan MORE powerful is a bad idea)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ramc posted:

Oceania does better on land than most underwater nations from my experience. They can mass really large amounts of their satyr troops who are actually pretty okay and give them Nature and Earth buffs with the Capricorns. Cheap temples mean you can usually temple the sea up pretty well and push your dom from the sea, hopefully with some sort of globals to capitalize on that.

Burden of Time doesn't really hurt them that much for the same reason it doesn't bother normal Pan that much- everything important lives a very long time. Setting it up yourself is an uphill slog though because you have to set your god up for it and then bootstrap the Death gems without native D casters.

No Ramcs

I love you ramc

Tagichatn posted:

It's an ongoing game at turn 55 although it might be ending soon. But yeah, I imagine most people don't LP water nations because it would be 30 turns of being stuck underwater with nobody to fight then casting burden of time and going AI. At least in this game there's a 3 way underwater thunderdome!

You've hit the niche of Dom4 LPs though in this case. Dom4 LPs have typically been split between Draft's (my favorite) and between land nations purely because the majority of LPers are reasonably experienced (or are ModPud and cheat) and ergo they generally steer away from the nations lacking any real umph. As UW only spells go undisclosed while set of units doesn't exist as far as people know.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 31, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

wiegieman posted:

It is equally important for the land nations not to let those slippery bastard from the depths get a finhold on a land fort from which to cast magic.

Yeah man I let R'yleh get a hold of so land forts when playing as Ulm (not that I could stop him, loving mind blasters ruined my slow moving doods) and it didn't end well.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Nice piece of fish posted:

Doesn't Tagichatn have a island they can take over with minimal fuss right next to the captiol or am I just reading the map wrong? Also, I own this loving game but I can't for the life of me wrap my head around all the strategies and things you need to know to play on a bad-rear end level.

There is an island right there he could grab, the issue there though is that its just an island in the middle of the sea. It's not a beach head to advance his hold on the land. It is prob more income than his sea tiles though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Speleothing posted:

They do have exclusive access to the strange things from the void. Just not the horrors from beyond the veil. Important difference

Good MA R'yleh feelings: Getting Vastness on turn 3 (so i'm told)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

FrenchBen posted:

You can actually have multiple of them, and depending on blessing they can be even more powerful since they're sacred.

Also oh boy, both Nazca and Asphodel are in the party, all we're missing is Ermor for maximum :skeltal:

It's a huge stretch to try to game around that though considering that Ryleh are the only nation capable of getting them on a big rng, and Ryleh isn't a bless-nation as a rule.

So Tagichatn I realize we are fairly far away from it LP post wise but what is your end game with OCE? As far as I can tell you've got a decent if pricey amphibious line-up of nationals but pure sea guys will likely out class you in the water, as will most land nations out of it. And your nations natural magical access to N and W with a small amount of A/E aren't really conducive to big flashy world breaking spells.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 7, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm surprised IRC said the Father of Monsters is good iirc most things like him are total crap.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Torrannor posted:

They lied to Tagichatn in order to sabotage his game! :ohdear:

I highly doubt that. IRC is very friendly with sharing strat tips even in games people already have an interest in themselves.

I think someone must have said it's a cool god, but not a GOOD god. I'll have to double check what chasis's OCE can get before I pass comment on if he had any better choices.

Edit: Yeah he has Erfsnek as long as it wasn't banned. Erfsnek would have been the expander god of choice. Ancient Kraken also a good choice for just U-Water. An imprisoned or w/e the other option is Statue of the Underworld could have also been used to provide D path and a good mid-late game ritual caster/path guy.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 10, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Corbeau posted:

Erfsnake is almost always banned these days.

I still pick it when I don't know what to pick.

I also lose most games I play or go AI in the first 3 turns as I realism I forgot to play. (sorry again jsoh, poo poo got busy literally the day after the game started)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tagichatn posted:

Don't worry, people were just joking around about how awesome he is, I guess because he has a torch. It wasn't like I went in there asking what the best pretender was. Earth snake is definitely better but I really don't like using earth snake. It feels so blah because of how good it is plus my expansion is good even without it. It'd be nice if other pretenders were improved so they could expand awake but most stuff besides earth snake can either just outright lose and die or picks up so many afflictions it becomes useless in combat.

The big awake turn 1 expanders are the SNEK itself which as pointed out earlier is basically banned in 99% of games now days for how stupidly powerful it is or what ever big monster chasis you can get your hands on with fear/awe/earth magic and just juicing it up with Dom and E to make it harder to kill.

Son of Fenrer is a particular favorite of mine cause it's got OK health, great Fear, comes with some built in chaff that also has fear, stealth if you want it and while it doesn't have natural E access it has W and N which can be used for a few reasonable defensive buffs. Also its a fuckin' giant wolf.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 11, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wolfsbane posted:

This event doesn't just give you a sage, it also tells you that the library of time is somewhere near that province. It lets you recruit S3 dudes, gives you four pearls a turn, and gives you full access to the score graphs of every player in the game. It's an amazing site, and well worth astral searching the surroundings (assuming you weren't going to do that anyway).

e: I just checked, and that event is actually a red herring around 20% of the time. This loving game...

:xcom: but you know :dominions:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Araganzar posted:

Seems like playing an underwater race wouldn't be bad for dipping your toe into online play, so to speak. You're hard to rush from land and there's little benefit in provinces or useful gems in doing so. With 3 underwater nations there will likely be a 2 on 3 fight that's over quickly, and even if not you're playing a minigame with 1 or 2 other players.

Seems hard to win but gives you a good chance of surviving until the surface world is covered in either skeletons or dying virgins. Is this helpful in learning online play or does it only teach you how to play an underwater nation?

In this case, with a couple early NAPs securing you a foothold on land and letting you focus on Pelagia, it feels like you'll be able to develop your own strategy instead of having to figure out how to counter what the 3-5 people around you are doing. With magic paths/income being limited underwater your opponent also has a more predictable arsenal to deal with.

What Lord Koth said w/r/t being new and playing UW.

Also just to follow up your statement of "covered in either skeletons or dying virgins." -> If the surface world IS covered in that, you're likely hosed anyway. Skeletons and friends are typically amphibious and demons often either don't give a toss about water either or are easily able to be given amphibious with out too much sweet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dammit Ramc you did it again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Lets talk about some of our favorite u-water units, the obscure little guys who don't appear in games that much because u-water is shite.

Fuckin' Shark Warriors. They are Sharks with Spears. That's rad. Downside: Their gear will literally rust away from the turn you build them, amazing game design illwinter.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Cythereal posted:

Taking a wild guess here, armor that in the game files has a tag as metal (I've seen LPs mention battle spells that rust armor) is set to rust away when underwater. Shark soldiers wear metal armor. Shark soldiers are recruited underwater. You can see the problem.

Got it one.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

goatface posted:

There is a "ferrous" flag that can be put on (or taken off) armour, or it can be made of bronze, or "meteorite". Armours are defined things rather than just stats of the unit.

They've just left a bunch of underwater things in the same armour type as a bunch of on-land stuff and for some reason can't be arsed to do a quick search of aquatic or amphibious and swap the armour out.

Apparently if the units in question are garrisoned in a fortress they get their gear repaired constantly though this costs a bit extra resource every turn. Once they move outside a province with a fort however....

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I guess the fun part about u-water is there is a lot of space for summons experimentation cause its not been done that much yet?

I quite like the look of the Kraken:

Conj 3 - so not super early but 3 water gems from a W3 mage per Size 6 with 60 HP unit and 4 weapons. Decent strength and ok attack skill.

I also really like the Cave Crab:

Conj 3 same as the Kraken but only needs 2 earth gems and 1E1W paths which depending on your race maybe easier. Size 4 with 54 HP, 22 protection and better strength, attack and defense than the Kraken. Sadly can only be summoned IN cave provinces which are few and far between.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The best UW nations are the undead nations :colbert: skeletons are always good.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

vyelkin posted:

Can thrones even spawn in underwater provinces though? It seems to me that even if there was an underwater player who was really difficult to uproot with poor land units, you could still win the game by just ignoring them.

Yes. And there are even some U-Water themed thrones to go with them, though most thrones can spawn anywhere.

Edit: Hmmm I thought there were anyway, according to the mod viewer the ones I thought were u-w only (like the Throne of Water itself) are able to spawn anywhere.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 4, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Poil posted:

It reminds me of a song...

By Dethklok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Donkringel posted:

That seems like an interesting game idea. Luck of the draw.

Everyone take misfortune 3.

Luck 3, Chaos 3

:getin:

• Locked thread