Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hey my hometown got referenced in the OP's post. Thanks for putting us on the map, LeBron.

Hmmm...rivalries, gonna list them in order of them developing.

I think the Wizards/Bullets have to be our first one, considering they were on the "other" side of the "Miracle at Richfield". This actually perked back up in the 2000's during LeBron's first go around with us. Can recall the likes of Deshawn Stevenson, Brendan Haywood and Gilbert Arena's acting like dicks. ("Agent Zero" was known as "Agent Moron" around the Cavs boards)

Bulls would be next. and that came of age during the 80's. "The Shot" was kinda seared into the memories of a lot Clevelanders. 2000's came and you had Joakim Noah dropping the "Who cares about Cleveland line"?. Not to mention the game winning shot that seemed to do the reverse of what was witnessed in 1989.

Pistons. Yep. 2006-2007 they were the one's standing in our way to playing in the Finals. Can recall hating 'Sheed, and a good number of players on that team. LeBron has a beastly game 5 in 07, and Boobie Gibson shoots the lights out in Game 6, and it's on to being swept in San Antonio.

Celtics? KG acted like a tough guy dick. Paul Pierce faking injuries. Could never quite vanquish them and in fact the Cavs losing to them was probably going to be LeBron's last memory related to us prior to that fateful July day in 2014.. Plus gently caress Boston is kind of a share sentiment by much of the country's sports fans, us included.

Warriors? I don't need to detail that. Kinda been established over the last two years.

I think that about covers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

NFC north, NFC east and AFC north divisions are real hate fests and can be close.

The NFL of today feels watered down considering what it was pre-expansion, post-1995 moves to be honest.

You had the Browns move in '95 (bias), and they came back as the NFL's punching bag since 1999 or so. You had the Oilers moved and replaced with the Texans, who let's face it are not as cool as the old school Oilers (Run and Shoot ftw). Not to mention the Rams moving back and forth from LA, the Raiders leaving LA (and Vegas)...and two expansion teams in the form of the Jags, Panthers in which only one has really developed a significant fanbase.

I mean I "hate" teams like the Ravens, Steelers...but the feeling for sure isn't mutual.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

EvanTH posted:

My hot take:

Rivalries don't exist so much in professional basketball because rivalries aren't so much about the teams as they are about fanbase vs. fanbase, and basketball fans are the most mature of any of the sports viewers, tending to be friendly to everyone and glad to share their love of the sport.

Red Sox v. Yankees is a rivalry because fans of both teams are lifelong belligerent assholes. Same with Pats v. Jets. Same with every group of college fans vs. every other group of college fans. Basketball folks are more like "ahh heck these guys always beat us, but I love the way their bench power forward sees passing lines and I wish my team would play that well :( what is wrong with my team why do we always lose to the Bulls"

Instead of rivalries, basketball just has rear end in a top hat Fan Base Of The Moment that is mostly disliked by the other fans (over the last decade or so I believe this went something like Lakers, Heat, Warriors. Spurs fans have been unable to rise to the status of hatred because it is hard to rise to anything when you weigh over 300lbs).

Yeah I really hate the warriors because I think the nickname "the dubs" is idiotic, and their fans are made up of silicon valley nerds rather than the "Rowdy" fanbase they used to have pre-Curry honestly.

I think college rivalries are much more fun. Even on the level of the MAC? It's fun to see Akron and Kent State fans hate each other in CBB.

• Locked thread