Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
My hot take:

Rivalries don't exist so much in professional basketball because rivalries aren't so much about the teams as they are about fanbase vs. fanbase, and basketball fans are the most mature of any of the sports viewers, tending to be friendly to everyone and glad to share their love of the sport.

Red Sox v. Yankees is a rivalry because fans of both teams are lifelong belligerent assholes. Same with Pats v. Jets. Same with every group of college fans vs. every other group of college fans. Basketball folks are more like "ahh heck these guys always beat us, but I love the way their bench power forward sees passing lines and I wish my team would play that well :( what is wrong with my team why do we always lose to the Bulls"

Instead of rivalries, basketball just has rear end in a top hat Fan Base Of The Moment that is mostly disliked by the other fans (over the last decade or so I believe this went something like Lakers, Heat, Warriors. Spurs fans have been unable to rise to the status of hatred because it is hard to rise to anything when you weigh over 300lbs).

There's a bunch of other stuff around that, frequent trades and the sorta incestuous nature of AAU means a ton of "rivals" on opposing teams are basically childhood friends so things don't get as heated during play as they might in sports with a larger player base, this final sentence is really an excuse to post the two MVP candidates going dick-to-dick after their recent FACE-OFF
https://streamable.com/ky19t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

NickRoweFillea posted:

Clippers/Grizzlies was an awesome blood feud a few years ago.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Wizards-Celtics is a current rivalry because a lot of the players don't like each other

This sorta thing does happen tho' and it's usually good.

Warriors and Cavs didn't like each other much either

• Locked thread