Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the Black Spot sequence for someone who never read the book?

Mike's father recounts a story about a horrific nightclub fire where lots of people were killed. He claims that as people were gathering outside and helping survivors, he saw IT, in the form of a giant bird, and it was picking people off as they ran out of the club and flying off with them. The people It took were assumed to have been burned up in the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It doesn't reflect the racism angle of the Black Spot fire, but I used to freak myself out as a kid reading/hearing stories about The Cocoanut Grove fire. Nightclub fires are scary as hell.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I figured it had to do with the Pirate Black Spot from Treasure Island and other stories. This is far more horrifying. :stare:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It doesn't reflect the racism angle of the Black Spot fire, but I used to freak myself out as a kid reading/hearing stories about The Cocoanut Grove fire. Nightclub fires are scary as hell.

You don't have to read/imagine about it. Just watch the video of the Station Nightclub Fire as it happened to be permanently scared for life.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm making my way through the book, and I simultaneously hope that the Turtle is left out of the film like it was in the miniseries, but also hope there is constant subtle turtle imagery all over the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You don't have to read/imagine about it. Just watch the video of the Station Nightclub Fire as it happened to be permanently scared for life.

The Station Fire was definitely horrible but the sheer volume of the Cocoanut Grove fire (almost 500 people) is insane. And there were so many ways it could've been prevented, too - it's where a lot of modern fire safety rules come from. You know, if we're ranking horrible tragedies.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There were terrible nightclub fires in Brazil and Russia too. In the thread about one of them, there was video from outside the club of people spilling out the door just completely engulfed in flames. That and the pile-up of victims close to the exit were some seriously chilling things.

(Unrelated but in the Brazil one, the band's accordion player died. He got out safely but ran back into the burning club to rescue his accordion. Dumbass.)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Don't forget that the Brady Gang shootout was also a real thing that actually happened in Bangor, Maine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Man, it's been 14 years since I read the book, and who knows how long since I saw the TV movie. Now I want to read it again, thanks a lot assholes

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just going to quote my thoughts from the horror thread.

The It trailer is pretty good and I'm looking forward to the movie.

I think as much as they have confidence in just how great their look for Pennywise is--and it is an interesting look--I think it misses the mark on Pennywise's whole deal. In reality I think their character has a lot in common with Freddy Krueger in terms of just their disdain for their young victims. Despite their otherworldliness, they are very much coded as adults. Adults who resent, hate, and want to devour children. They are fundamentally abusers as seen through the lenses of grungy late 80s fairytales.

I think what worked so well about Curry's Pennywise is that he really was just a lovely Bozo the Clown. Even a picture of Curry just looking friendly in the clown make-up is terrifying because Bozo and Ronald McDonald look creepy. But there is at work this other level that the children are made to feel unreasonable. Bozo and Ronald McDonald are scary looking dudes created by adults and pushed onto children. And it is the children who are treated unreasonable when they find the creatures scary.

This ties into an element of the book that the adults are literally blind to the horrors the kids face. Pennywise is such a scary force because he exists with a level of authority. The parents, teachers, and cops are all on some level complicit in his actions. A lot of the scariest parts of the book and original movie are not when he violently goes on the attack, but when he tries to lure kids to him. When he lets them feel uneasy but also helpless to not listen to him. The book and the original film really push the notion that the biggest fear the kids often face is the adults in their lives.

The Losers know Pennywise is a real threat, but like those who abuse children in the real world, Pennywise works to force them to feel unreasonable for challenging him or even being afraid of him.

The new Pennywise design is simultaneously much more Victorian looking and also much more childlike in appearance. And I think it just loses all the stuff I'm talking about. He's something that you fundamentally know you should find scary. Making him more antique in appearance works to sort of divorce him from the realm of adulthood and everyday lives of the kids. And the more childlike appearance takes away from that gross adult disdain of youth that defined Curry's performance.

I will say though, there is one part in the original book where It turns into Frankenstein's monster. Since this is the 80s, I would lose my poo poo if he showed up as Jason or something for a scene.

This is a real good post. I thought the trailer looked solid, but yeah Pennywise kinda looks like, well, a monster contra Curry's version which was a dude in makeup with a New York (!) accent.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The genius of Curry's design was that his Pennywise was subtly not meant to look like a guy in makeup, in-universe at least. The enlarged forehead and the nose that melds too seamlessly into the rest of his face were simple and effective ways to give him this Uncanny Valley effect. He appropriately looks like an otherworldly simulacrum of a clown. I remember the VHS cover with his face really freaking me out as a kid in the Blockbuster aisle; he looks off and intentionally creepy.

I'm holding off my judgement of the new Pennywise until I can see proper footage of him in action and speaking. In the book his adoption of clownish aesthetics and demeanor when confronting the Losers always felt more mocking than deceitful to me, so I'm not too worried by how intentionally sinister he already looks. The only time in the movie he ever has to appear inviting to a child is in the opening scene. If he can pull that off I'll be happy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I love the bulbous head because it makes him look a skull and a balloon. But I think part of the brilliance is that it's not clear at first what it is off about him.

Still in the process of rereading the book, and it's pretty clear that Eddie has a huge crush on Bill. Wonder if they'll play that up at all.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Mike's father recounts a story about a horrific nightclub fire where lots of people were killed. He claims that as people were gathering outside and helping survivors, he saw IT, in the form of a giant bird, and it was picking people off as they ran out of the club and flying off with them. The people It took were assumed to have been burned up in the fire.

I've recently finished the book and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, though King does love his excruciatingly detailed semi-tangents. I'm interested to see whether Mike's giant bird makes it into this version. That was one element that enjoyed but can't imagine how it would make it to the screen without looking goofy.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ozza posted:

I've recently finished the book and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, though King does love his excruciatingly detailed semi-tangents. I'm interested to see whether Mike's giant bird makes it into this version. That was one element that enjoyed but can't imagine how it would make it to the screen without looking goofy.

I'm wondering how much they'll alter the 'greatest fears' the kids have, given it's now set in the 80s. I don't remember the TV movie IT too much, but I know in the book a lot of the kids' biggest fears were based on the Universal monsters stable; IT showed up as the Gill-Man and Frankenstein's monster (maybe mummy and the wolfman too?)

I'm sure licensing/royalties would be some kind of nightmare, but their fears would likely be updated to then current horror staples like Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien xenomorph etc.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
No way do I want to see Freddie Kruger in this. That would be super anachronistic and totally out of place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wake_N_Bake posted:

No way do I want to see Freddie Kruger in this. That would be super anachronistic and totally out of place.

They moved the kids storyline up to the 80's and the adults into the present day, so it wouldn't be anachronistic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Oh god I just had a vision of this scene with Pennywise and a Nightmare poster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFM--jk_SMc

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

It's changed so that the childhood part is set in 1989; wouldn't be out of place.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I used to get really freaked out by the VHS cover for Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II which is funny in retrospect (it's the Breakfast Club parody one).

Edit:oops

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 7, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I used to get really freaked out by the VHS cover for Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II which is funny in retrospect (it's the Breakfast Club parody one).

Hey this thread can be a second horror thread too, why not!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hey this thread can be a second horror thread too, why not!

Whoops, I can see you're all floating in here, I'll see myself out

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've watched the trailer a few times now, I'm really impressed with what I've seen. I hope the rest of the film holds up.

The only part iI found jarring was the creepy laugh at the beginning, it reminds me a lot of the crypt keepers voice from tales from the crypt, i really hope his voice isn't like that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Edit:oops

LEATHERFACE YOU RUINED THE IT THREAD!
Though, toss Leatherface into 'poo poo 80s kids might be terrified of'.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tell you what I'd like to see instead of Jason or Freddy: there's a part in the book where Ben sees It in the Derry library, but in the form of Dracula.

Dude, just make It show up as Kurt Barlowe from the OG Salem's Lot miniseries.

Not only would it fit the timeframe, but it would play into the meta-narratives of King's body of work. Plus, that design is fantastic anyway.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fart City posted:

Tell you what I'd like to see instead of Jason or Freddy

Jason vs Freddy PART TWO.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

If we're throwing out cases that would have potentially influenced King's Derry, Kitty Genovese is more likely. It was a very famous case from the mid-60's, so King would likely have been aware of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

the hoax?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm wondering how much they'll alter the 'greatest fears' the kids have, given it's now set in the 80s. I don't remember the TV movie IT too much, but I know in the book a lot of the kids' biggest fears were based on the Universal monsters stable; IT showed up as the Gill-Man and Frankenstein's monster (maybe mummy and the wolfman too?)

I'm sure licensing/royalties would be some kind of nightmare, but their fears would likely be updated to then current horror staples like Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien xenomorph etc.

You named properties owned by WB/New Line, Paramount (supposedly they got the Jason's rights back from WB), and Fox. There is no way in hell this will ever happen and it's getting tired as gently caress hearing people wish for this.

Now if Cujo, Christine, and the little creature from Cat's Eye shows up, then we're in business.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ruddiger posted:

There is no way in hell this will ever happen and it's getting tired as gently caress hearing people wish for this.

Now if Cujo, Christine, and the little creature from Cat's Eye shows up, then we're in business.

Have people been sperging out about that online? I honestly just popped off a few horror icons I was scared of in the early 90s.

I do like Fart City's line of thinking, but would 'oh no I'm afraid of *era relevant Stephen King piece of lit*' be just a bit too on the nose?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 8, 2017

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
I just want IT to turn into a Langolier at some point, wrong timeframe be damned.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Who owns what aside, I do think there's something more neutral about the classic movie monsters - wolfman, mummy, gill-man, zombies - that means they're less distracting stand-ins for 'manifestations of children's fears' than what might be realistically the monsters that scared 80s kids.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

His belief in God comes out a bit in The Girl who loved Tom Gordon, where he talks about faith quit a bit. took me by surprise as I read it, but I feel like it is certainly a product of post-getting hit by a van/sobriety that lead him to that point.

It certainly isn't because the TGWLTG was published before he got run over.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It wasn't a hoax, it just wasn't the damning condemnation of human conscience it initially was made out to be.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

LadyPictureShow posted:

Actually one of their "greatest fears" wasn't a Universal monster...It showed up as The Crawling Eye at one point. You know. From this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgQrjYaLbQ

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've got it from a reasonable source that the film version isn't running with the multiple forms. All the kids see Pennywise as a clown and that's it. No manifestation of children's fears or anything. Just a scary clown. The studio wants to create an iconic character for merchandising in less than two hours of run time, so gently caress making him appear in multiple forms.

That said, hes real form is still in this, but it's more like a Resident Evil mutated T-Rex spider than anything else.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I've got it from a reasonable source that the film version isn't running with the multiple forms. All the kids see Pennywise as a clown and that's it. No manifestation of children's fears or anything. Just a scary clown. The studio wants to create an iconic character for merchandising in less than two hours of run time, so gently caress making him appear in multiple forms.

That said, hes real form is still in this, but it's more like a Resident Evil mutated T-Rex spider than anything else.
We know that's not true because we see what seems to be a hoard of zombies reaching from behind a door and trying to get to Mike in the trailer (Probably related to the Black Spot fire) as well as It appearing as Georgie.

I'd buy it not having that many forms though and the reality is that even in the book, even when it's in different forms, it's still the clown in some way. I think going back to my original post, I feel like while a giant spider is the closest thing to what It really is, Pennywise is the closest thing to what it is in terms of emotion and intent.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

There's been on-set pics of the Leper and theres even a glimpse of it chasing Eddie in the trailer.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Horrible Taste posted:

There's been on-set pics of the Leper and theres even a glimpse of it chasing Eddie in the trailer.

The trailer also has a quick shot of what looks like blood spewing out of Bev's sink.

Got around to giving IT a re-watch, and I feel like what I watched was edited way down. Scenes like IT digging the graves, Bill seeing Stan's head in the fridge, Richie's vision of IT in the library were all gone. Anybody know what's up with that? Did they make an edited version to fit the runtime of a regular movie or something for re-airing it?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually one of their "greatest fears" wasn't a Universal monster...It showed up as The Crawling Eye at one point. You know. From this.

I love that two of It's incarnations were on MST3k.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Horrible Taste posted:

Additionally, in the trailer we can flat out see It turning into the werewolf as its claws tear through Its gloves.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

To be fair, that one came from Richie. He's had a thing about his eyes because of his glasses. I think one of his biggest fears was Henry punching him and driving a piece of glass into his eye. The movie struck a severe chord with him so the manifest monster eye was plenty scary, despite how goofy the effects look to us now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love that two of It's incarnations were on MST3k.

Three, if you count Gill-Man...

• Locked thread