Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nroo posted:

Would you mind selling me on it? I've been only getting mixed reactions otherwise.

More than anything, the monster is my favorite of anything horror made in the last 10 years. It is incredibly unsettling and the noise it makes gives me nightmares more than anything I've ever heard. Watch it with the sound up and the lights down and it will be a fun movie.

Here's a cool non-spoiler of them testing the puppet ultimately used for Mama:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ins7QwvAp28

When I personally grade horror movies, I consider the monster and the atmosphere before the dialogue and the story, so this movie is one of my favorites of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I finally hit that spot towards the end. Having a guy read me a scene about a preteen orgy is even more awkward than I expected it to be
Not the best part of the job, I guess.

"Well, time to describe various pre-teen cocks." :: thinks back to the fart-lighting scene :: "I mean, again."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Would you mind selling me on it? I've been only getting mixed reactions otherwise.

Without spoiling anything, Mama is a great design and great character, it's rare and a little weird to see a horror movie that's so earnest and sentimental. I can't think of another horror movie that made a crowd audibly go 'aww'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not the best part of the job, I guess.

"Well, time to describe various pre-teen cocks." :: thinks back to the fart-lighting scene :: "I mean, again."

I already am not a big fan of sex scenes in books because they're always awkward and don't feel like they add much. But did I really need to know that Ben had the biggest thing and that it made her hurt and feel like she was flying? No. No I did not coked up Stephen King.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Without spoiling anything, Mama is a great design and great character, it's rare and a little weird to see a horror movie that's so earnest and sentimental. I can't think of another horror movie that made a crowd audibly go 'aww'.

It's cool that every piece of the terrifying design has a justification rooted in what turns out to be the pathos of the character.

Edit: I'm a total horror movie noob so maybe this is really common practice but I don't care it was cool.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Len posted:

I already am not a big fan of sex scenes in books because they're always awkward and don't feel like they add much. But did I really need to know that Ben had the biggest thing and that it made her hurt and feel like she was flying? No. No I did not coked up Stephen King.

This is like Henry’s M-80s, something not meant for kids, something that could explode and blow you up.

So bad.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

I don't care if I'm alone in this but Mama is one of my favorite horror movies from the last decade.

I'm right there with you, but that ending is sort of a turd.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Origami Dali posted:

This is like Henry’s M-80s, something not meant for kids, something that could explode and blow you up.

So bad.

On my re-read there was anticipatory pre-cringing, contemporaneous cringing, and post-cringing. It's just so terrible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

It's cool that every piece of the terrifying design has a justification rooted in what turns out to be the pathos of the character.

Edit: I'm a total horror movie noob so maybe this is really common practice but I don't care it was cool.

It is a common practice, but usually it's done in a clunkier way (not to say that Mama totally avoids this, IIRC there is at least one scene where the main character goes into town to the local library to get clues about the ghost). The exposition is not necessary in most cases.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Fart City posted:

Re: creepy King chat above, I found N. to be very unnerving. It's basically King straight up writing a Lovecraft story, but he is very good at it.

Agreed. N is scary and wish I could find more like it. It's in the Just After Sunset collection, and also I think there's an animated YouTube video of the story.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Personally, the sex scene is my favorite part of the book.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yes. Exactly.

The worst was giant full costumed adults where you can't even see their faces. Chuck E Cheese was an absolute nightmare for me. It's a fun place for kids to play games, but don't let your mind wander off the monster lurking around any corner, looking for you. Only you.

Yeesh.

I had to dress up as Chuckie for 6 months and the sheer terror felt by toddlers in my presence was the highlight of my job.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That's actually really funny.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Devil's Backbone is pretty earnest. And I'd say it's pretty sentimental as well.
Or maybe I just love that movie.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm 20% through the book for the first time in 10 years and the part where Hamlin is doing reade arch on the history of Derry is excellent and I hope they get that into the movies somehow. Even if it's a short scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The history of Derry sections are definitely some of the best in the book, especially of the stuff that didn't make it into the original miniseries.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spite posted:

The Devil's Backbone is pretty earnest. And I'd say it's pretty sentimental as well.
Or maybe I just love that movie.

Devil's Backbone rules, I miss that Del Toro.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm 20% through the book for the first time in 10 years and the part where Hamlin is doing reade arch on the history of Derry is excellent and I hope they get that into the movies somehow. Even if it's a short scene.

Something I just noticed on my reread was that Halloran's Shine basically saved Mike's dad and a lot of other's lives at the Black Spot. I thought that was a great addition.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

The history of Derry sections are definitely some of the best in the book, especially of the stuff that didn't make it into the original miniseries.

Yeah, and I feel there's a great buildup in them too. First they're about how Derry is prone to big, horrible events and fits of evil, then some about weird group behavior, and finally the story of Claude the logger just slaughtering a couple of folks in a crowded bar while nobody bats an eye, to drive home the fact that It can just make people in Derry look the other way.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My ideal teaser for the second part would basically just be a voice over from adult Mike reading bits of his research as they show footage of the adults answering the phone. End with "Please God, I don't want to call them. Please God." as you see adult Mike getting a look at the COMEHOMECOMEHOMECOMEHOME message near one of the crime scenes.

Or do a viral web series, that's a thing marketing does now right?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So I watched Mama, both the original short and the film. The film is definitely at its best when it's confident enough to rely on its visuals without overusing the musical stings a bunch, and there's some fantastic visuals consistently throughout. I'm actually more positive about Muschietti helming this now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah MaMa really is a good movie by horror standards, a genre that is really hard to succeed in IMO.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I watched "mama" because of this thread and it really sucked, so thanks for nothing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I forgot how terrifying Eddies run in with the leper is. When he pulls back the rug and it appears in the window.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RangerScum posted:

I watched "mama" because of this thread and it really sucked, so thanks for nothing.

Granted it's no Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan, I liked it!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Oh boy the kid playing the new Pennywise tries so hard to be scary, with the mean eyes and everything. Too bad Tim Curry only needed to literally play the clown part to be creepy as gently caress.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kawabata posted:

Oh boy the kid playing the new Pennywise tries so hard to be scary, with the mean eyes and everything. Too bad Tim Curry only needed to literally play the clown part to be creepy as gently caress.

I'm curious to see how this will play out in the US vs. worldwide given how much/if at all people and kids today are or are not automatically freaked out by and/or amused by clowns/think to associate a clown with John Wayne Gacy etc. Like maybe them having Pennywise played this way is the right move overall?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
On Mexico, scary clowns are a thing due Tim Curry and the original mini series, so yeah, the new guy has some huge shoes to fill.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm curious to see how this will play out in the US vs. worldwide given how much/if at all people and kids today are or are not automatically freaked out by and/or amused by clowns/think to associate a clown with John Wayne Gacy etc. Like maybe them having Pennywise played this way is the right move overall?

For millennials and younger audiences, probably. I'm afraid anyone over 26 probably won't like a movie with this kind of Pennywise. It still bothers me that they cast a 27 years old guy for the role.

Imo an IT movie shouldn't look like a slasher flick but like a "Stand By Me + Pennywise", which is what the 90s mini-series set out to do with the means it had. There's so much you can do with the story. Maybe you'd be forced to make it a 2 movies deal but imagine how great it'd turn out to be with the right director and cast. I quite liked Mama by the way, it's just the new IT trailers and Pennywise both look so bad it's hard to stay optimistic.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 20, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What looks bad about the IT trailers? I've been blown away by them and I have barely the slightest interest in the project as it is.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Because the evil clown looks too evil.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We haven't seen the clown talking to Georgie from the drain yet. It's possible he can be quite friendly and disarming. He's got to do this to get Georgie close enough, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Because the evil clown looks too evil.

It's a weird complaint to me because what is the context for clowns for kids growing up in the 90's anyway? No one born past 1977 has ever even seen a clown in person and probably the first time they do it's some poo poo John Wayne Gacy painted.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

MrMojok posted:

We haven't seen the clown talking to Georgie from the drain yet. It's possible he can be quite friendly and disarming. He's got to do this to get Georgie close enough, right?

That's the only time he remotely pulls a "nice clown" routine and Georgie is 6 and still weirded out at first. None of the main kids ever fall for it and it looks like they're aged up to teens in the film, so getting lured in by a clown is even more ridiculous. Pennywise is a Scary Clown, full stop.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What do you mean? I saw plenty of clowns as a kid, at the circus and various fairs, and I was born in the 90s.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It's a weird complaint to me because what is the context for clowns for kids growing up in the 90's anyway? No one born past 1977 has ever even seen a clown in person and probably the first time they do it's some poo poo John Wayne Gacy painted.

Because there's been this recurring notion that Pennywise is so scary because he appears at first to be an unassuming friendly clown. But he's always been tied to the Uncanny when his first appearance is in a sewer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nroo posted:

Because there's been this recurring notion that Pennywise is so scary because he appears at first to be an unassuming friendly clown. But he's always been tied to the Uncanny when his first appearance is in a sewer.

Yeah, exactly.

Mantis42 posted:

What do you mean? I saw plenty of clowns as a kid, at the circus and various fairs, and I was born in the 90s.

The only clown I ever seen in person is Doink.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It felt like everyone who saw Pennywise as a clown was unnerved by him. There were little tidbits of photographs with kids where they were staring at him with a look of unease. The first time Ben saw him he was like "none of this makes sense for a clown to be doing. This isn't right." Pennywise is a clown but a really unconvincing one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hell in the book he takes on so many different forms that the clown is like the least unnerving form.

I'd like to see them do that with the movie. Especially the huge birb's tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

What looks bad about the IT trailers? I've been blown away by them and I have barely the slightest interest in the project as it is.

People are really reading into the very, very little we've seen of Pennywise. I have minor reservations, but I think it looks great too.

• Locked thread