Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Medullah posted:

I liked the implication that their beliefs are what give them power. Mike shouting at Bill that the air hammer wasn't loaded, but Bill still fired it and it wounded Pennywise a bit still.

Yeah I feel like that was their way of teasing the idea and they'll go into it more in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish scare chords were illegal.

Ban horror movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

every horror movie uses scare chords to startle?

like 80% on the conservative side.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Very very conservative.

And many of them are still great. And some of the best moments in, like, all of cinema involve scare chords.

It's like saying "ban dark shadows".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Karloff posted:

The best scare chord is in Jaws when the head rolls out, because it's not even a chord it's more of a scream effect.

that was one of the ones I had in mind.

really, nailing a really good jump scare is one of the best things a horror movie (especially a very consciously "Pop Horror" movie like this one) can do. the one where IT grabs Bev after she doinks her dad with the toilet lid got maybe the loudest screams I've ever heard in a movie theater (my favorite in the movie was still GIANT IT though).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU's right though. What scares you and what makes an effective horror movie have crossover, but they're distinct things.

Unrelated but I want to add to the chorus of people saying how much this movie smokes Stranger Things.

edit: but yeah I'd've liked a bit more of the bullies as well

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 9, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Horror movies only exist some of the time. "Horror movies" exist at all times. The crossover is what makes them so pleasurable, not the existence.

ngl I have no idea what this means

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

*thinking emoji* having thought on it I don't think it actually means anything

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's no use to talking about horror films using terminology that doesn't strictly deal with the subjective and liminal, everything else is dull, pointless, and unproductive.

Okay but I don't get how that applies to what you said before. What are horror movies vs "horror movies" to you?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MrMojok posted:

In the book, wasn't one aspect of the adult story basically that Pennywise knew he had a little less control over the adults? In the sense that they weren't as easily victimized by images and fears It could pluck from their minds... hence trying to intimidate and threaten them into leaving town, and also sending Henry to their hotel. What I'm getting at is Henry has got to be back in part two

Yeah they did kinda make it look like Henry died but not bringing him back would be a huge mistake, I'm guessing the cops go down into the sewers to find the dead kids and find crazy Henry there too. Plus, Mike being the one who pushed him down the well gives Henry extra motivation to go after him specifically.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Come on, you're Uncle Boogeyman, how is this mysterious to you?

I mean, yeah, apparently. C'mon man, don't hold out on me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't mind the "you'll float too" thing being literal although now that you mention it, cutting that bit out of the opening scene with Georgie was another fannish nitpick of mine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

the more I think about this movie the more I love it, I'm def gonna go see it again before it leaves theaters

also, of the "horror buffs" I talk to the general consensus is that the state of horror is pretty great right now

I'm absolutely of that opinion, yeah. Possibly controversial hot take, but I'm really glad found footage appears to be dead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The past two years alone have had Get Out, Green Room, The VVitch, The Love Witch, and now IT.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The nadir of horror movies was the 1990s.

The further we get from then the more interesting that era of horror gets for me though. As with every other part of '90s pop culture, nobody was really holding the reins there.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It just hit me that Belch's Anthrax t-shirt was a subtle King nod since the album's titular song Among the Living is about The Stand.

Yeah I loved that. Skeleton in the Closet is about Apt Pupil also. I feel like they might have another King song I'm forgetting too.

What was the metal song playing during the rock fight? I couldn't quite make it out.

Edit: looked it up and it was Antisocial by, you guessed it, Anthrax

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 10, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mike is definitely the character that feels like they got the shortest shrift in the movie, although he had a couple great moments (the shot revealing that he brought his cattle gun to the final showdown got a HUGE audience reaction)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Canemacar posted:

Eh. In the interview posted just above where they talk about making Mike a junkie, they list his defining characteristic as his physical strength.

yeah that part was more eyebrow-raising to me than the drugs part.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Karloff posted:

Yeah, I think it is the same cat.

it's a glitch in the Matrix, actually

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's definitely not as violent as it could've been or as violent as the book, but the opening scene alone definitely Goes There in a way most mainstream horror movies don't these days.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not-Georgie getting the captive bolt was pretty shocking too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Even in the book, through the whole thing, I think you only "see" Pennywise kill like four people total: Georgie, Patrick, Eddie Corcoran, and Eddie Kasparak as an adult

Oh I guess Adrian Mellon too although that's relayed after the fact in the police interviews. I'm not counting him picking people off at The Black Spot

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 12, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wish the rest had kept up, that weeping was so great.

I kinda think all the drooling was a bit much but that's just me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He could've been a little more appealing, I think it was a mistake to leave him as overtly scary as he was. I love the sudden weirdness in King's prose when it's simply described as "there was a clown in the drain" and the thudding juxtaposition almost makes sense in a kid way - sure, of course the clown got blown into the drain, it's so windy! On the other hand I kinda like the sense of being in between perspectives as viewers, so we see both the freakish reality and are given the privilege of understanding it's charming, hypnotic aspects (this would've been kinda fun in 3D - one side fades a little into monstrousness so you have the clown and the demon overlapping).

The new IT is obviously a better movie but I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda prefer the Georgie scene from the original. I think it captures that juxtaposition you're talking about a little better, the way Tim Curry's Pennywise is just spotless and cheerful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One of my unexpected favorite moments in this new movie is when Mike is being attacked and he looks up and sees Pennywise in the bushes, grinning and waving what looks like a doll hand (?) which nails that tone of menacing clowning without overt horror.

Yeah, that moment also did a good job of capturing "Pennywise is everything wrong with this town" in an image too.

(although I'm pretty sure it was an actual severed arm, not a doll hand)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nroo posted:

Specifically Eddie Corcoran's

Oh, really? Did I miss a detail there?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

It’s common body language that suggests nervousness or a lack of self-confidence.

I used to do it all the time when I was a kid.

i still do it lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wish Nightmares & Dreamscapes had lasted for more than one season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Hard to verify because his account is locked, but a bunch of news sites have been running it as confirmed.

YES

• Locked thread