Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PuQCWDcM4

Based on what is possibly Stephen King's most famous novel (close race between IT, The Stand, and The Shining I'd say), IT is the story of seven kids in the town of Derry, Maine who realize that there is a monster stalking the streets, killing children. A monster who masquerades as a clown named Pennywise. This creature, what they simply refer to as It, emerges in cycles of 20-30 years, starting a cycle with some horrific murder, and ending it in a virtual holocaust of deaths. For It feeds on fear. Also children. But fear makes them so tasty.

IT was first adapted as a TV movie back in 1990, and, well...while it certainly taught a lot of kids back then what "coulrophobia" was back in the day...that adaptation doesn't hold up so well anymore. Despite the presence of the always awesome Tim Curry as Pennywise. I mean, for every instance of Pennywise being loving creepy as hell...

We have...um...

To be honest, I'm not sure what's happening here. Twenty seven years later.

Look, I'm not saying that the original version of IT is terrible, it's highly entertaining. But it suffers from being made-for-TV. This year though, we get the hard R version of IT. And the results are promising at least.

We've secretly replaced Tim Curry with Bill Skarsgård....let's see if anyone notices!

A few other changes have been made to make the film more relevant: instead of being set in the mid-1950's, the first part of IT will be set in 1989. Yep, first part. This is part one of two, the second part detailing how the seven kids, "The Loser's Club", reunite to defeat Pennywise -and by extension, the town of Derry iteself - once and for all. The second film will likely see release in either 2018 or 2019.

Basically, the above trailer hits the right tone for this adaptation, being big on atmosphere. A great deal of the novel ran on the threat of Pennywise, although his appearances were just as intense. The few shots we get of Pennywise in the trailer reinforce that nicely. Also, I'm just gonna say this, this version has already succeeded in one major point: While not scary, balloons are goddamned eerie in this version. Just that shot of the balloon moving across the room behind the character of Ben is creepy as gently caress.

But let's not forget the most important thing...

Do we float?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Anonymous John posted:

It's a shame that Cary Fukanaga left over creative differences that don't bode well for the direction that this movie is taking.

Apparently one of those "creative differences" was his insistence on keeping...that scene.

You know.

That scene. :stonk:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Really digging that slide projector bit, mostly hoping they realize that the best part of any Stephen King book is the downtime between scares and don't just generalize it into a shallow Nightmare on Elm Street ripoff.

Like I said, I think a good portion of IT is dedicated just purely to the atmosphere and history of Derry. Of course, you can't do too much with that in the film, but my favorite parts of the book were Mike's history lessons about all the bad poo poo Pennywise had done beforehand with the Ironworks, the mob guys, the Black Spot...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Hey, something that I just noticed, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. In the trailer, Bill writes "SS GEORGIE" on the boat, and in the original miniseries, George calls it the same thing. But It doesn't look like it's referred to that way in the book at all. So that makes it a neat little callback/easter egg to the miniseries.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tenzarin posted:

I rewatched the made for tv movies last night, its almost comically how ignorant and malevolent the common people of the town are. Like how no adults trust the kids and even that kid who the fat kid's family is living with saying that they only took them in because of their "Christian's duty". Its almost like the small town deserves to be preyed upon by a giant spider monster.

Well, the thing is, it's supposed to be because of the giant shapeshifting spider monster that the townsfolk are that way.

But that whole thing with Ben in the TV movie is weird because he's not adopted in the book, it's like the director put that in there just to take a swipe at organized Christianity.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm wondering how much they'll alter the 'greatest fears' the kids have, given it's now set in the 80s. I don't remember the TV movie IT too much, but I know in the book a lot of the kids' biggest fears were based on the Universal monsters stable; IT showed up as the Gill-Man and Frankenstein's monster (maybe mummy and the wolfman too?)

I'm sure licensing/royalties would be some kind of nightmare, but their fears would likely be updated to then current horror staples like Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien xenomorph etc.

Actually one of their "greatest fears" wasn't a Universal monster...It showed up as The Crawling Eye at one point. You know. From this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgQrjYaLbQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Horrible Taste posted:

There's been on-set pics of the Leper and theres even a glimpse of it chasing Eddie in the trailer.

Additionally, in the trailer we can flat out see It turning into the werewolf as its claws tear through Its gloves.

• Locked thread