Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wonder how many times that scene will come up in this thread between now and the release of the movie.

I said this in another thread, but the scene serves a very simple purpose in the book, so its no problem to just swap it out with something else that accomplishes the same thing. Of course, the ease of doing that only makes you wonder even more why King put it in the book in the first place but hey the dude was rarely sober so who knows what was going on in his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the detail is just something King can't turn off, its how he writes. He develops characters by letting the audience into their extremely detailed inner monologues, so when he wrote a teen orgy it was no different.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

scuba school sucks posted:

There's also an unwritten rule that any discussion on the Internet or especially SomethingAwful has to mention that scene EVERY loving PAGE.

Why even fight it anymore, at this point the posts about how we shouldn't mention it are more annoying than the actual posts that mention it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Are you talking about the case that The Accused was based off of? I think that's a stretch. More likely King just wrote himself into a corner like he usually does and went full on drunken stream of consciousness with it.

If we're throwing out cases that would have potentially influenced King's Derry, Kitty Genovese is more likely. It was a very famous case from the mid-60's, so King would likely have been aware of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the Black Spot sequence for someone who never read the book?

Mike's father recounts a story about a horrific nightclub fire where lots of people were killed. He claims that as people were gathering outside and helping survivors, he saw IT, in the form of a giant bird, and it was picking people off as they ran out of the club and flying off with them. The people It took were assumed to have been burned up in the fire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wake_N_Bake posted:

No way do I want to see Freddie Kruger in this. That would be super anachronistic and totally out of place.

They moved the kids storyline up to the 80's and the adults into the present day, so it wouldn't be anachronistic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I used to get really freaked out by the VHS cover for Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II which is funny in retrospect (it's the Breakfast Club parody one).

Hey this thread can be a second horror thread too, why not!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Everyone should also rewatch Legend if they're in the mood for some Tim Curry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't film both halves of this new version at the same time, and are instead waiting.

I can see why they did it. If the first half is done right it can be a completely stand-alone story that doesn't feel like it needs sequel, and then if the movie is actually successful go ahead and do it. It's not something like Lord of the Rings where the story isn't even close to complete until the end of the third movie, the kid's story has a real beginning, middle, and end that stands on its own.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised there isn't a more concerted effort going on to do a full-on King Cinematic Universe with all of these vaguely connected stories. The structure is there, King has written 3 or 4 standalone books that all connect back to the Dark Tower, but I haven't heard any talk of them being made/remade. I'm thinking of Salem's Lot and Insomnia specifically but there are others like The Talisman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Even if the kids were going to be the main focus in the first film, it would have been a good idea to at least establish the adult versions and lay the foundations for that now. From what I've seen it sounds like the adults literally won't be appearing at all(or haven't even been cast yet?), which does seem like its doing a disservice to the King novel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Not having read the book, can someone spell out concrete reasons why they don't want to see the kid/adult stories split into two movies? I'm a person who usually gets annoyed with framing devices in film because often they dampen the sense of immediate urgency.

Its kinda hard to answer without spoilers, so read at your own risk, but King establishes right awaythat something horrible happened to these kids by showing that one of them chooses to commit suicide almost 30 years later just to avoid having to go back to Derry. So you don't have the same type of "who's going to die and who will survive" urgency that is more common in horror movies, but there's a drive to the story in that we're seeing how traumatized the adult characters are and learning more about how they got that way as it goes on.

Both sides of the story play off each other. So something that happens in the adult storyline will give you insight into something that happens when they were kids, and vice versa. For instance, Beverly and her abusive father/husband.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Where? Isn't there just some graffiti?

Basically. There's mention of the events of 1985 and the destruction of the standpipe, but that's about it. Typical King stuff, he usually throws in a few references here and there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vicissitude posted:

He also shows up in the Dark Tower at the tail end. Has an odd effect on Roland, not the weird malaise that affects most adults, or at least those in Derry.

I don't think King meant for that to be IT, at least not the one from Derry. If anything its another similar creature that feeds off of a completely different emotion, but that's just speculation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

It, the thing towards the end of the Dark Tower books, and the Crimson King are meant to be relatives. It would have helped if the Crimson King was developed better.

The Crimson King seems to be some sort of demon spawn, and Stephen King always has made a distinction between the Prim, which is like his version of Hell and where demons live, and Todash space, which is like a dimensionless void between the worlds that is home to more Lovecraftian, incomprehensible monsters. A todash monster chases Roland and his group towards the end of The Dark Tower, and it bears a strong resemblance to the monsters that come out of the portal that is created by the Arrow Project in The Mist.

The Crimson King is like the Devil, he appears to rule over all the creatures from the Prim, but we don't really know for sure where IT and Dandelo(the IT like creature from The Dark Tower) originate from. Its very possible they're Todash monsters that aren't really directly connected with the Crimson King at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I never read any of the DT stuff but I did read Insomnia (I thought it was good) and when th eCrimson King is defeated, the hero sees the Deadlights in his eyes, I think. It's been a while.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to imply a connection between IT and the CK, though.

Interesting, I haven't read Insomnia, I only know the basic outline of the story. I'd be curious how the Deadlights are described, I'm assuming King doesn't actually call them the Deadlights(in Insomnia)?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

As I recall, a much more informed King fan than myself explained Insomnia and IT's connection. There's this kid the CK is trying desperately to kill. I think he's supposed to be important in the end of Dark Tower. Anyway, you might recall that in IT there is the presence of the "Other" who is supporting the Losers. That Other is supposed to be some being named...Gen I think? He's like the big G God of Kingverse I think. He needed that kid alive but Pennywise of course loves eating kids so the Other helped the Losers get rid of her. Then the CK (who is aware of IT as he alludes to "shapeshifting being a Derry tradition") tries to take the kid out himself but, again, the boy is protected by an even higehr power.

The way Insomnia explained it, there is Purpose and Random. Everything from IT down to the truck driver who sped up and killed Gage in Pet Sematary (which I had just read right before Insominia...what a loving depressing book) is an agent of The Random ie. death and destruction and chaos. All the senseless brutality and suffering of the world is still part of an order. But then there's also the Losers and Ralph here and others who are agents of Purpose. The Turtle was probably an agent of Purpose, too.

Yea, the kid I think is Patrick Danville, the one who has the power to erase the Crimson King from existence. In general the Crimson King is always after these powerful kids, either because they are a threat to him or because they can act as "Breakers". These Breakers are forced to use their psychic powers to bring down the beams that hold up all of reality, theoretically allowing the Prim to return and the Crimson King to rule over it all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

The only problem I can see with doing like the book is where would they end the first film?

I think the best place to end the first film would be when the Losers face It inside the house on Nebolt Street and shoot it with the silver slugs, and for the 80's storyline when It puts Bill's wife in a coma and kills Bev's husband.

Both would end on a major confrontation with It, while also setting up the real showdown in both storylines for the second film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

It's been over a decade since I read it, but how does the book handle the stories going on at the same time? For example, wouldn't the adults being alive kinda spoil which kids survive their part of the story? Would that lesson the dramatic effect in the movie since you can't spend hundreds of pages working around that issue? The dude killing himself in the tub in part 2 of the mini series is super strong way of beginning. I can't remember how the book handled it.

What you're not taking into account is the fact that as adults, they can't remember what happened or how to defeat It. They have to come together again and remember everything first, so you synch up the scenes that happen in the past with the ones that are the most relevant in the present. They are "learning" new information right along with the reader/audience. It's just a different way of structuring a story, a similar more recent example is True Detective. You have a point about the length though, no way it can be done in 2 hours, it'd have to be two movies. Which it is, so I don't see the problem.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The history of Derry sections are definitely some of the best in the book, especially of the stuff that didn't make it into the original miniseries.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With Georgie we only see Pennywise's endgame, he has already "salted the meat", so to speak. He's just trying to get close enough to Georgie to drag him into the sewers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pennywise definitely gets up to plenty of slasher villain style shenanigans, so I don't think it's really meaningful that a trailer would focus on that aspect of him. Kinda tough to convey that he's an extradimensional, shapeshifting incubus in a 2 minute trailer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Is that possible?

I actually think juggalos dressing as a known character from pop culture would make it less disturbing than it currently is. Anyway, the disturbing part is that they're all constantly sweating profusely into their jean shorts for days at a time while multiple layers of faygo slowly dry on their skin and create a sickly sweet smelling BO cloud that engulfs the entire area for miles around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Are they gonna do the gang bang scene

Yea, they put out a "inside look at the gang bang" featurette a few weeks ago, you didn't see it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kevyn posted:

What about the one from Clayfighter?

All the characters in Clayfighter creeped me out. That poo poo was just not right, there was something off about those models that made me uneasy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I guess it was more of running a train than a gang bang

Thanks for the clarification.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Super Fan posted:

I hope they don't wimp out on the portrayal of Bowers. He was a god drat lunatic in the novel.

That surprised me when I read the book, how Bowers is really a threat to the other kids as in he actually could murder them if he gets his hands on them. I mean, I knew the book was about a killer clown murdering kids, but a psychopathic teenager running around with a switchblade carving kids up is dark even for King.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drug and alcohol problems aside, everything I've read from/about King seems to indicate that he never really lost appreciation for the fact that he was somehow supporting a family and living a very nice lifestyle just by writing horror stories. But he always felt like he had to treat it like a job, like if he started treating it as a hobby(even though at a certain point he had the money to do exactly that), that's when his career would fall apart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I remember reading a story he told where a publisher's check for one of his early books showed up just in time to get medicine for an ear infection one of his kids had. Like, if he hadn't written, he wouldn't have had the money.

King's an interesting guy in his worth ethic. He's very similar to guys like Poe or Lovecraft, not just in terms of tone, but in understanding writing as an occupation as well as a craft. In a way it kind of speaks to the importance that The Dark Tower has to him: he poked along with decades between installments until the van accident. Then he kind of saw finishing the series up as a responsibility and burned through the last three in like, four years or some poo poo.

Eh, I have a lot more respect for King than Lovecraft. Lovecraft married a woman and then refused to ever get a regular job even after years of no writing money coming in and them being forced to live in separate cities due to the financial hardship that his immaturity caused. She eventually divorced him, mostly because he would not allow himself to be dragged into adulthood, he basically died in perpetual adolescence having never really worked a day in his life. He had been born to a family that was regarded as above working class jobs, but the family money was running out by the time Lovecraft was entering adulthood and out of embarrassment Lovecraft refused to entertain the idea that he would ever make money doing anything other than writing. He was a petulant child.

His wife remarried and by all accounts lived a much happier life once she finally dropped him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
King's very much about sitting down each morning and writing for a bunch of hours in a row, doesn't even matter what. Just write. Everything gets edited and revised anyway, the people who sit around twiddling their thumbs until the perfect idea pops into their heads never get anything done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd be shocked if this movie didn't outperform The Dark Tower. The book and the miniseries still have a ton of pop culture relevance, at least compared to Dark Tower. It cuts across generations too, me and my parents both have vivid memories of Tim Curry's Pennywise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Typically "airport trash" isn't like 1000+ pages though.

From what I know about King I think he'd be perfectly happy to be known as a writer of stories that had extremely broad appeal. It's not like anyone out there is accusing him of being on the same level a Dean Koontz, now he's much more in line with what I'd consider "airport trash"(and I still enjoy a good portion of his work).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also just from a technical perspective King's writing is head and shoulders above the stuff you'd typically consider airport fiction. There's a ton of writers who have become relatively successful with that kind of thing but their actual writing abilities are extremely amateurish. When you read King you're reading a pro and it's very obvious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
They could establish a "famous slasher villain" as something the kids are aware of and then pay that off with It appearing as that character without it having to literally be Jason or Freddy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I just find it hard to believe that we could be this close to release and something like a Robert Englund as Freddy cameo hasn't leaked yet. That would be HUGE.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If the movie takes place in 1989 the kids likely won't have seen the R-rated movies because the methods to see r-rated movies was limited. You could sneak into a movie, and you might have a vcr, but that's about it. The kids are 9-10 years old. Their knowledge of 80s monsters would be more from pop culture osmosis than a direct viewing. They could still do a Freddy or a Jason, but it would be a Halloween costume version of the two.

Sneaking into movies is a rite of passage, so it's totally appropriate for It.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah it seems like IT feeds off fear, apparently that's why it preys on children; their fears are tangible and stark, while adults fears are more rooted in reality.

But apparently in the book IT could also somehow manipulate adults? Hypnotizing them with its Dead Lights? Did they every explain why a grown adult would want to listen to some Fear Monster? Is IT manifesting itself as an overgrown weedy lawn and threatening to report them to their HOA or something?

It has the ability to influence and manipulate people of any age, it's just that fear is the thing that it feeds on. So someone like Bev's husband is not a good meal for It, he's a complete shithead that probably doesn't fear much, certainly not something that It could easily manifest as. Adults fear situations more than literal monsters, which makes things tough for It. But I think you're right that what happens to the adults like Bowers or Bev's husband is something along the lines of hypnotism.

It refers to scaring children as "salting the meat", so eating an adult who is not afraid would be like eating a completely unseasoned hamburger with no bun or condiments whatsoever. And when you have a lifetime that spans eons, why settle?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm rereading the book now in anticipation for the movie. As much as I love the Pennywise appearances, I REALLY love all the world building and setting Derry up like a real place, albeit one you would never ever want to live in.

That's the stuff most book fans are hoping made it in, or at least if Part 1 is a hit maybe they can throw in for Part 2. None of it really moves the story forward, so typically it would be prime cutting room floor material, even if they did shoot it. But almost everyone who reads It says they love those portions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't read through the entire thread but I just saw this last night.

The scene with the slide projector where Pennywise pops out of the screen and he's huge is the best right? I assume most people would agree on that?

Anyway I was hoping for more of the really crazy poo poo from the book but I didn't realistically expect it to be in there. At least there is some indication that they're keeping the idea of the dead lights and not just completely throwing that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a lot of Pennywise scenes that were obviously filmed for 3D, but that one would've made me poo poo myself.

I watched it in my living room on a regular sized tv and it still had me physically jumping out of my seat. I did not see it coming at all.

• Locked thread