Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the reason that scare worked so well is because I was expecting like his head to come out of the screen ala The Ring, but then this gigantic monstrosity all of the sudden juts out and I was not prepared for it.

It's genius because it sets you up to expect a scare, and then gives it to you, just not in the way you're expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

A lot of the scares in the movie do come off as comedic which is great. Seems perfect for a demon clown. The weird vibe of the town is more horrifying than Pennywise himself.

That's very true of the book as well. Not necessarily that the Pennywise stuff is supposed to be funny, just that his complete and totally corruption of the town itself is much scarier than anything he does directly. It's a gradual realization that you get as you read it, that these kids are truly on their own and none of the adults are going to do anything to help them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a reason why people still say "scariest movie since The Exorcist", and no horror movie has taken that spot in over 40 years. Pretty sure the new saying isn't gonna be "the scariest movie since It"

Goddamn it's been over 40 years since The Exorcist was released. 40 loving years. It really does not feel that way at all when you watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

depending on if the director and other major creative forces are young enough that we could reasonably expect them to live that long, i could legit see this being a good idea. do the second half of the book 30 years later, with the exact same cast as adults Boyhood-style, and market it as a nostalgia piece for people who grew up with the first movie.

e: it would require them to be willing to play the long con, but it would also probably pay off hard.

Nobody is "growing up" with this movie. The movie is very good but very few people will remember it or care about it in 10 years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think you'd be a little shocked

this movie is resonating with people pretty loving hard

I really don't think that's the case but it's of course all anecdotal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

People fondly remember the original movie which was a cheapo TV film with one really good performance but basically nothing else going for it.

All it takes is one great performance. The new movie is consistently better in a lot of areas but there's nothing in it that will be nearly as memorable as Curry's Pennywise.

The fact that it was a tv movie probably only enhanced it's staying power, this was during a time when there weren't 800 channels to chose from. King was a Big Deal, there were a ton of people watching it when it first aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

I had to google the guy, but interesting change if Eddie grows up to be a beefcake (resemblance is uncanny, though)

I know he's good looking irl, but Ransone can play this character perfectly. There is zero question about that, he's already done it multiple times.

• Locked thread