Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Mike's father recounts a story about a horrific nightclub fire where lots of people were killed. He claims that as people were gathering outside and helping survivors, he saw IT, in the form of a giant bird, and it was picking people off as they ran out of the club and flying off with them. The people It took were assumed to have been burned up in the fire.

I've recently finished the book and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, though King does love his excruciatingly detailed semi-tangents. I'm interested to see whether Mike's giant bird makes it into this version. That was one element that enjoyed but can't imagine how it would make it to the screen without looking goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Who owns what aside, I do think there's something more neutral about the classic movie monsters - wolfman, mummy, gill-man, zombies - that means they're less distracting stand-ins for 'manifestations of children's fears' than what might be realistically the monsters that scared 80s kids.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Here's an oral history of the miniseries that I found more interesting than the miniseries itself: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/back-to-derry-an-oral-history-of-stephen-kings-153351801.html

There's good stuff in there about how the spider ended up looking so horrid.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I still think there's something about the Pennywise design that's trying too hard - but I'll reserve final judgement till the film's out, because everything else in these trailers looks good.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

ProperCoochie posted:

The thread talked about IT and its influence over Derry, but didn't discuss just how drastic it was. During the final confrontation, the damage done to IT effects Derry and its people. A huge storm rolls in and it wreaks havoc on important locations from the novel. There's a footbridge that explodes, the Standpipe collapses, streets cave in. Even that Irish caricature cop, there's a moment when Richie has to convince himself and IT that he isn't afraid, so he speaks in the cop's silly voice. IIRC, elsewhere at the same moment, the cop stands up and says the line too and drops dead. Also, I have to commend the few previous posts mentioning how sad it is when the adults start forgetting everything that they shared together. That stuff really pulled me when I first read it, and still does when I think about it. It's pure melancholy saved only by the reader's understanding that they have truly defeated IT for good. With that, I adore the final chapter, when Bill triumphs over the final lingering threads of IT's terror and "beats the devil" and saves his catatonic wife.

I really enjoyed the climax of the book too. Before reading I'd heard that it was underwhelming, but I thought that the rolling destruction of the town combined with the cosmic weirdness of the Losers' confrontation(s) with It was an excellent way to finish the story. Another part I enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the time travelling vision of It's arrival on Earth, millions of years ago. It was just the right amount of origin story - a lesser story would have had something vaguer or more specific, but I think King pitched it just right.

• Locked thread