Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My ideal teaser for the second part would basically just be a voice over from adult Mike reading bits of his research as they show footage of the adults answering the phone. End with "Please God, I don't want to call them. Please God." as you see adult Mike getting a look at the COMEHOMECOMEHOMECOMEHOME message near one of the crime scenes.

Or do a viral web series, that's a thing marketing does now right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

IT, the tv miniseries, has a cold open that's drat near perfect, and it's not the part with the boat and the storm drain.

There's a girl playing with dolls in her backyard while her mom hangs the laundry. Mom goes inside to get the phone, cue Curry-as-Pennywise showing up behind the sheets billowing in the wind looking like his usual cheerful self, balloons and all. The girl looks surprised at first, then amused at the funny clown man. And then, just before the sheet blows back in front of him again, you see his face start to change. Not transform, or anything supernatural, just a shift in expression.

This lasts like half a second, so that you're still trying to decide what it looked like (probably the beginning of a snarl), when they cut back to Mom reemerging and looking for her daughter. Her gaze find she the sheet again, which might have a drop or two of blood on it? Maybe? And then she starts screaming at the top of her lungs and they cut to the title.

I bring this up because that tiny, brilliant flash of menace from Curry is the kind of thing the trailer lacks. It's not the creepiness that gets under your skin, it's the moment things shift. You can only judge the trailer by what it shows, so I can't fault people for taking issue with it, but Pennywise functions as a threat on a couple different levels. Like, yes, he is a clown who wants to eat you, and that's the trailer's focus. But he is also the creeping desperation of confronting adults who simply refuse to acknowledge the threat of the monster under the bed, or the weird gurgling of water going down the drain that sounds like someone inside the pipes is laughing and screaming at the same time.

Now I still like the trailer despite it lacking that element, but that's because I accept that it's a hard sell to pull that off in 90 seconds. It's not an aspect of the film that you can fairly evaluate with the scant evidence we've got.

• Locked thread