Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there anywhere I can hear a sample of Steven Weber as Pennywise? I don't want to get the entire audiobook for it.

plz dont pull out posted:

Yeah I'm curious about this too.

Drunken Baker posted:

Same. As much as I love reading I've been trying to get into audiobooks as well for when I'm doing housework and the likes.

Speaking of relations to Pennywise, there's also the shapeshifting leech-lady in Library Poilce who feeds on children's fear. She might just be a distant cousin.

So this is a little late and maybe you already did it on your own but Audible has samples of course.
http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/It-Audiobook/B019WPM4ZM/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1493393549&sr=1-1

It's a frickin' long book but Weber was so good, I was caught up in every second of it. I mean, the story itself is good no doubt, but Weber brought it to life in a way I've seen few narrators accomplish.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The Crimson King is like the Devil, he appears to rule over all the creatures from the Prim, but we don't really know for sure where IT and Dandelo(the IT like creature from The Dark Tower) originate from. Its very possible they're Todash monsters that aren't really directly connected with the Crimson King at all.

I never read any of the DT stuff but I did read Insomnia (I thought it was good) and when th eCrimson King is defeated, the hero sees the Deadlights in his eyes, I think. It's been a while.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to imply a connection between IT and the CK, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Interesting, I haven't read Insomnia, I only know the basic outline of the story. I'd be curious how the Deadlights are described, I'm assuming King doesn't actually call them the Deadlights(in Insomnia)?

Okay I mis-remembered the scene quite a bit:

A sudden rush of force blew past him in a fan of wind and fading green light. He caught a strange, skewed glimpse of the Crimson King, no longer handsome and no longer young but ancient and twisted and less human than the strangest creature to ever flop or hop its way along the Short-Time level of existence. Then something above them opened, revealing darkness shot through with conflicting swirls and rays of color. The wind seemed to blow the Crimson King up toward it, like a leaf in a chimney-flue. The colors began to brighten, and Ralph turned his face away, raising one hand to shield his eyes. He understood that a conduit had opened between the level where he was and the unimaginable levels stacked above it; he also understood that if he looked for long into that brightening glow, those

(deadlights)

swirling colors, then death would be not the worst thing that could happen to him but the best. He did not just squeeze his eyes shut; he squeezed his mind shut.

As I recall, a much more informed King fan than myself explained Insomnia and IT's connection. There's this kid the CK is trying desperately to kill. I think he's supposed to be important in the end of Dark Tower. Anyway, you might recall that in IT there is the presence of the "Other" who is supporting the Losers. That Other is supposed to be some being named...Gen I think? He's like the big G God of Kingverse I think. He needed that kid alive but Pennywise of course loves eating kids so the Other helped the Losers get rid of her. Then the CK (who is aware of IT as he alludes to "shapeshifting being a Derry tradition") tries to take the kid out himself but, again, the boy is protected by an even higehr power.

The way Insomnia explained it, there is Purpose and Random. Everything from IT down to the truck driver who sped up and killed Gage in Pet Sematary (which I had just read right before Insominia...what a loving depressing book) is an agent of The Random ie. death and destruction and chaos. All the senseless brutality and suffering of the world is still part of an order. But then there's also the Losers and Ralph here and others who are agents of Purpose. The Turtle was probably an agent of Purpose, too.

edit:

beaten

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 28, 2017

• Locked thread