Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
None of Stephen King's books are ever about the monsters, which is why making adaptations of them is often done so poorly.

It's a little worrisome to me that we don't hear Pennywise speak in the trailer. I'm hoping it's to build up suspense for it and not because they're hiding a meh performance. Tim Curry was always going to be tough to follow but Pennywise is going to make or break the movie regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I'm not going to say what's the "right" way to do Pennywise, but I can 100% guarantee the marketing is focused on the "scary clown" angle because they want all the teenagers to come see the movie and teenagers would look at a trailer with "friendly, unassuming" Pennywise and say "What's this dumb clown? That doesn't sound scary, that sounds dumb." Because teenagers are all about looking cool and brave and not so much about respecting source material and the analogy of adults ignoring the menaces children face.

We won't know know the full performance until we get the full movie, so for now remember that trailers are misleading.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Re: Maximum Overdrive

I always saw King's horror work as taking very B-Movie concepts and taking them seriously with fully developed, real characters. So of course he'd make the schlockiest movie ever given the opportunity, it's what he loves.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Just saw it today. Still a few missteps in adaptation but drat if they didn't do a good job in other areas.

I feel like everyone is going to compare Pennywises at this point. Looking back, Curry was definitely playing a manipulative adult being a scary clown. This version feels a lot more animalistic, which is both better and worse for various reasons.

Richie was spot on. Stan and Mike were given nothing to do (though I felt like a lot of the scenes with Stan were subtly foreshadowing his role in Chapter Two).

And everyone with Georgie was perfect. My wife was bawling her eyes out because it was so tragic.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Upon further reflection, I'm a little bit disappointed with Derry. It's been a while since I read the book, but the whole town of Derry felt like it was always a secondary antagonist. A deeply, deeply troubled town with an underlying sense of wrongness and total apathy towards what the Losers were going through. They touched on it in the movie, and I understand it's hard to fit all that into 2 hours, but I felt like we needed more adults being frighteningly negligent.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Nroo posted:

Is this a joke

The adults' absence is already very negligent, and whenever they do show up they're all pretty awful.

Yeah, it was hard for me to pinpoint why I felt that way, because every example from the movie points to the adults all being terrible. I think one thing that might have helped was not having the red balloon when the adults in the car ignored Ben (it's in the trailers, not spoilering that). Most of the other adults shown are parents of the kids, so their bad parenting definitely affects the kids but doesn't come across as the whole town being just oppressively against them. By having these two strangers just ignoring as a kid is tortured and not giving the whole "Oooh, Pennywise is here" shorthand would've really driven home that the kids are hosed even without an evil clown after them.

I don't know, just spitballing after one viewing, obviously there's a lot to digest and it's hard to give any one thing that did or didn't work for something that's mostly based on how things feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

They are really trying to start a hype train for this second movie.

There are less favorable trains they could start involving the IT movie.

(drat low-hanging fruit, why must you tempt me so?)

• Locked thread