Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tired Moritz posted:

my it book was this

Looks like the Halloween 3 poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm glad he's not trying to imitate Tim Curry. He seems a lot more playful, and this is making the mood swings a lot more disturbing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Annabelle 2 brought in $35 million this weekend, and I have to think that's a good sign for It next month as it shows a R rated horror can bring in good numbers. The trailer was shown before, and this one seems to have way more advance hype than Annabelle. As long as this movie is good it should have a good box office intake. It helps that it won't have much competition either. Take this with a grain of salt, but someone on Reddit said they saw it at a press screener and gave it a 9/10. They couldn't provide any details about it though because of an NDA.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

He disliked the Shining as an adaptation of his work but I believe he liked it as its own thing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I got my tickets today for the opening Friday!

Now I just need to finish reading the book (600 pages to go!) and probably re-watch the miniseries to reach maximum hype.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^Big time.^^^

Worse is when it takes on all these new forms and characteristics it's never exhibited before.

I liked both The Shining movie as well as the book for decidedly different reasons and thought that Kubrick's take on it was masterful. I still notice new stuff every time I watch it and I love movies like that. There was just so much going on with the tone, the framing, the lighting, the great acting, the sound (Danny's big wheel on the carpet and the hardwood), all the constant symmetrical shots and especially the sheer scale of the Overlook itself and its contradictory, bizarre, physically impossible layout. The SIZE of the hotel made it feel like a monster in and of itself and Kubrick captured that brilliantly.

Movie fucks with your head because it's doing so many little things to you at the same time it's punching you in the face. I think it's my favorite Kubrick film; or at least the one I watch the most often. HArd to argue with Dr. Strangelove though. Is there a Kubrick thread?

Very very psyched for IT but very worried about part 2. Are they filming them concurrently or one at a time? Is Mama worth checking out?

EDIT: And dismissing King as "airport trash" is loving ridiculous. He's written his fair share of crap, for sure, but calling his work "trash" is the sort of thing snobbish people say about things that are popular as well as good. Like when an alternative band scores a top ten hit.

From what I understand they haven't even started It part 2. IMDB doesn't even have a page for it.

Mama is worth a watch. The third act is a little out there, but it's s pretty creepy movie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Maybe they are waiting to see if It pulls a "Dark Tower".

It's on track for a $50m opening weekend, which is insanely high for a horror movie. The RT score will determine how it fares from there.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I'd cast Jay Baruchel as adult Richie. He's annoying enough to capture the disc jockey character.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I hope when they do Part 2 they include Eddie's zombie/leper baseball game!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

If the movie takes place in 1989 the kids likely won't have seen the R-rated movies because the methods to see r-rated movies was limited. You could sneak into a movie, and you might have a vcr, but that's about it. The kids are 9-10 years old. Their knowledge of 80s monsters would be more from pop culture osmosis than a direct viewing. They could still do a Freddy or a Jason, but it would be a Halloween costume version of the two.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Man, I was a ten-year-old slasher aficionado by '89. Video rentals were a thing.

Lucky. I could never get my parents to rent horror movies, unless it was more comedic stuff like Ghostbusters or the Monster Squad.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Phylodox posted:

If you had to get your parents to rent horror movies for you, you were going to the wrong rental place. I remember renting Phantasm II and the clerk not even batting an eye.

I never had money. :(

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Just thinking about it though, you could still do a werewolf. It wouldn't be based off the old 50s version, but probably more along the lines of An American Werewolf or the Thriller video.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Phylodox posted:

The Thriller werewolf was pretty obviously an homage to I Was a Teenage Werewolf, which was the werewolf that appeared in It, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference.

poo poo. I didn't even make that connection.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just bought the last two tickets for the 7 PM Alamo Drafthouse screening in Brooklyn next Friday. All the Thursday night shows are booked. I feel like this movie is about to do really, really well.

One question is this: Say the movie does well, they do a sequel, it does well. They announce they're making a prequel that takes place in colinial Derry. ya'll down or no?

Individual movies for each loser, and a Henry Bowers spin off franchise.

I'm so hyped for this movie. My big worry now is that it my expectations may be way too high. I'm going to finish the book this weekend then watch the original mini. Next Friday can't come soon enough.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

It: The Legend of Carly's Gold
It 2: Mannequin on the Move
It2: The Desolation of Smaug

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Sixth Sense was PG13, so it has an advantage right there.

For R-rated horror, the current domestic box office champ for opening weekend is Hannibal, which did just over $58 million. I think It will beat that.

The highest grossing R-rated horror of all time is the Exorcist at $232.9 million (domestic, not adjusted for inflation). It'll be hard to reach that benchmark. The next highest horror is Get Out, at $175.4 million. As long as It doesn't get killed by reviews I think it will end up around here.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Overall I liked it. It could've spent a bit more time establishing Mike and Ben into the club, and Bowers was underutilized. That said, everything involving Pennywise was awesome.

One thing: Did anyone else think that the dead kids in the Hocksetter death scene looked straight out of Night of the Demons?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I think for part 2 will probably be something like this (contains book spoilers):

Act One: the phone calls, Stan's suicide, update on Henry Bowers

Act Two: the losers reunite, new individual scares (witch, ball game, etc), Bowers attacks

Act three: final battle with It, and the destruction of Derry

They should do some historical flashbacks as well, to really set up why Derry must be destroyed.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Based on Friday box office numbers they were estimating $105 million opening weekend, but there was barely a drop in attendance on Saturday so the new projections are >$120 million. This puts it in Hunger Game/Harry Potter territory for box office success.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Usually a minor can get in to an r-rated movie as long as they're with an adult.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If we insist on interpreting IT as a literally-existing animal, then the unavoidable conclusion is that IT is just a stupid human, with human dreams and aspirations. The people calling him pure evil are being speciesist. IT may be, biologically, a spider - but IT is a human spider-person.

Like Spider-man?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what the hell kind of social circles do you run in???

I'm curious about this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I think Bev gives Henry a good kick to the junk too.

• Locked thread