Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Roger Ebert talks about clowns:

Ebert posted:

I don't like clowns, never have, never will. For that matter, I was terrified of Santa Claus when I was a kid and was taken to visit him in the department store at Christmastime. Like a lot of small children, I instinctively knew that clowns were not clowns, but adult males dressed up in a weird way for reasons I would rather not know anything about. They pretended they wanted to be my friends, and yet they hid themselves behind bizarre and frightening disguises. They didn't look like fun friends to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Re-watching the TV movie. Forgot about the Irish cop in the movie. They're hanging out by the river and Paddy McStereotype stops by.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 18, 2017

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The TV movie is alright, but it really doesn't stick the ending. I know that Pennywise is only a representation of IT, but for the final boss to be a silly stop motion spider... sigh.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Blisster posted:

I've seen multiple reviews now where people say Bill Skarsgard had "massive shoes to fill" follwing Tim Curry, and not one of them has made a clown shoes joke. Not sure whether to be disappointed or happy about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_r3E8V6Utc&t=65s

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 20, 2017

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Saw this last week, they've really captured the feel of certain 80s movies. Strong influences of Stand By Me, E. T., Goonies, The Explorers, Monster Squad, and others. I thought that Skarsgaard did a good job as Pennywise and created a wonderful bully of a character. One the subject of George's death, I felt it didn't match the tone of the rest of the movie. Most of the film had a somewhat jokey tone to it, and Pennywise didn't feel all that dangerous. By being explicit with George's death and lingering on his suffering, it was like the movie was trying to establish how much of a threat that Pennywise is, but it didn't come off that way in the rest of the film. If we'd seen Pennywise killing other people in a manner as graphic as the way he killed George, it would have worked. As it is, the scene sticks out as the movie using the equivalent of smashing a kitten with a hammer to generate an emotional response.

Now, kitten deaths in movies can be used to comedic effect, see the The Brothers Grimm and Drag Me to Hell for examples, but this had no subtlety to it. Comparisons have been made in the thread to 1988's The Blob , but that movie didn't limit its gore to just children. The Steve McQueen stand in meets a horrible on screen fate, as do many other characters, so the child's death is more of an escalation of the horror rather than a singular shocking event.

I'm very interested in seeing how they cast the adult versions of the characters. The TV movie did a pretty poor job with the adults, I didn't buy about half of them as the grown up versions of the characters we saw in the 50s. Also interested to see how the advent of smart phones will be worked into the plot as that is one of the epochal shifts in society since the late 80s. The TV movie actually includes a scene of John Ritter's cell phone losing service when he crosses the Derry city limits, but such a thing wouldn't come off as believable in 2018.

So, 3 out of 4 balloons for IT, and they all float.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Curry does a great old clown but a not so good interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown.

How do you know what an interdimensional alien shapeshifting monster clown is like?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

the miniseries keeps in it's best line and the movie doesn't so yeah it's closer to the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUMIXbTM5U ?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

People fondly remember the original movie which was a cheapo TV film with one really good performance but basically nothing else going for it.

The kids were really good in the TV movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Honestly the decision to tell the children and adult stories as separate chapters makes the adult chapter superfluous. It only works if the flasback structure is there, but since we've already seen the children's stories, there is nothing interesting to the adult's version. The TV mini-series had the same problem.

• Locked thread