Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
As a 15-year old, this book captured my imagination; as a 37-year old, I can't even make it past 300 pages. Yes, I probably got old and dead inside, but the cringy kid dialogue, junkyard jerk-off sequence, pre-fight sexual healing scene, and Richie's black slave impressions are enough for me to leave this one on the shelf.

The movie does look much better than the miniseries, however. That much is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

Bruteman posted:

Too bad when they finally got around to literally doing that (Jonesy and Mr. Grey in Dreamcatcher), it was still a crummy film.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder than I did at Dreamcatcher. So much top notch talent (Lawrence Kasdan!) behind such an indefensible turd. And the Jonesy/Mr Grey poo poo was incredible. Whenever Mr Grey took over Jonesy, out came the evil British accent, and I could not stop laughing. To be fair, the book is also a complete mess. Can't really hold it against King, though: it was his first one after the car accident.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't care if I'm alone in this but Mama is one of my favorite horror movies from the last decade.

I'm right there with you, but that ending is sort of a turd.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

The movie was rarely scary and the characters were excruciatingly one dimensional (Hi, Mike). Also, relying on jump scares ad nauseam is a lazy way to make a horror movie, and this movie has them in spades. A giant Pennywise leaping off a projector and scaring the kids is no more terrifying than the antics of the space clowns in Killer Klowns From Outer Space, which surprisingly holds its own when compared to this film, especially in terms of "terror." In fact, Killer Klowns From Outer Space might be the more sincere and genuine film.

A lot of my complaints about It can definitely be traced to the source material. Call me crazy, but I would have rather seen something that was substantially different from the book, similar to what Kubrick did with The Shining.

I did laugh when I found out the director made Mama, since he apparently used some of the leftover F/X from that film in this one.

C+ (King sucks, but I have also gotten older and my taste has changed).

• Locked thread