Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I grew up in the 90s. We went to the circus a few times and there were clowns. I think birthday clowns were still around but they were a dying breed.

We weren't actively scared of them but we didn't get the appeal either. If you asked me to choose between funny and scary, I'd have said scary. They fell into the same camp as the dudes in Chuck E. Cheese costumes.

I'm reading the book for the first time atm, just got to Mike's bird. So far Pennywise has never once been portrayed as charming or playful, fwiw. Georgie mistrusts him but wants his boat and smells circus smells, one of the homophobic murderers glimpses him under a bridge eating the victim, and then Ben sees him looking like a dried up corpse clown and aping Karloff's Mummy. He's very obviously evil, the only difference is movie Pennywise is pure evil clown and not the fear shapeshifter from the book. The only time he's not spooky is seen from a distance, and I'm confident this Pennywise could be mistaken for a circus clown from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Besides Georgie, are there any instances in the book of It, as Pennywise, luring anyone by pretending to be a benign clown? (and even Georgie realizes that hosed up clowns shouldn't be in the sewer.) He mostly shows up looking creepy, as a monster you remember and/or dead relative, then tries to eat you. And when he shows up in clown form none of the kids are excited for balloons. If they're drawn to him it's a strange lure, not a "oh boy a clown!" Sometimes he'll ask you to come with him but it's never in a pleasant way, it's your dead brother's rotten corpse in a clown outfit inviting you into the sewer. He's always explicitly spooky and supernatural.

Given it's set in the 80s and the shapeshifting will probably be little-to-none other than dead relatives, I think a creepy clown is a pretty good representation. Masked serial killers, evil clowns, and so on are that generations Mummy and Wolf Man. Tim Curry's Krusty was good but he's not The Definitive Pennywise.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

With how much goes on in the Stand, it could easily be a multi-season series, which I'm all for

It could make a really miniseries, IMO. I'm thinking of the Coming to America segments in American Gods, with episodes introing with 5-10 minute segments about lovely stuff that's happened in Derry that might not be related to the stuff that goes on in the meat of the episode.

E: better than the miniseries that exists, also longer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah he looks so much like Young Eddie but Beefcake Eddie seems off to me

If Eddie is that hot what the gently caress will Ben look like?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 16, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m speaking as a gay dude here, you can dress that man like a nerd but uuuuughhhggghhh

A modern reinterpretation where Eddie is buff because of reading reddit though, could see it. It’s happened on SA

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 17, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Given it’s modern hollywood did we not expect everyone to be drop-dead sexy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Losers: known for being sexy and wearing the same outfit as everyone else

• Locked thread