Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It wasn't a hoax, it just wasn't the damning condemnation of human conscience it initially was made out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I've started re-reading It in preparation for this, since it's been well over a decade since I last read it, and I have to say that I really appreciate the simultaneous reveal of the children's story with the unfolding of the adults side of things as they also begin to recollect the past. But goddamn, the book is huge. I was going to get the e-book, but apparently it's terrible.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

How could an e-book be worse than the regular book?
The formatting is supposedly all screwed up -- half a page will be italicized, tons of OCR typos, etc.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Welp, I shouldn't have listened to those reviews then, I suppose.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I finally hit that spot towards the end. Having a guy read me a scene about a preteen orgy is even more awkward than I expected it to be
Not the best part of the job, I guess.

"Well, time to describe various pre-teen cocks." :: thinks back to the fart-lighting scene :: "I mean, again."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

I already am not a big fan of sex scenes in books because they're always awkward and don't feel like they add much. But did I really need to know that Ben had the biggest thing and that it made her hurt and feel like she was flying? No. No I did not coked up Stephen King.

Origami Dali posted:

This is like Henry’s M-80s, something not meant for kids, something that could explode and blow you up.

So bad.

On my re-read there was anticipatory pre-cringing, contemporaneous cringing, and post-cringing. It's just so terrible.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The movie was a bit uneven, but I think that's because -- compared to the book, anyway -- it was sort of rushed. There wasn't enough time to develop either the kids or really nail the town's horrific past. Pennywise was just a bit too menacing in his first scene, in my opinion; I think Georgie would have just run the gently caress away the moment he heard that voice. Still, I would count it as a successful adaptation (especially the slide show replacing the book, the scary painting replacing the bird), and I'll be back for the next chapter.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this technically counts as :filez: or not, since it comes from a bootleg, but holy crap Pennywise dances to anything is a riot.

Jesus, some of those are good.

The dancing scene was visually a little unsettling, and I sort of wish there had been more parts like that and the slideshow. Pennywise vibrating and rushing at the viewer lost its punch. Again, movie length was a bit of an issue -- I don't think you can quite convey just how bad Derry is in, what, two and a quarter hours and still have time left for plot and character development.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nroo posted:

All of those camera tricks were Good poo poo.
I wish they'd been used more to establish that "poo poo Ain't Right" feeling that Derry is supposed to possess. Relatively basic effects can be pretty unsettling. I'm still a huge fan of this guy from Ash vs. Evil Dead:

It come across better in the show, but the general idea is there.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
They got some great acting out of Sophia Lillis. Finn Wolfhard was great too, but Sophia was phenomenal. They could have done a better job getting her "wrong side of the tracks" poor upbringing, but a movie with adequate time for the kids would be ... well, a miniseries.

I'm still pissed how tacked-on Mike felt. His backstory in the book was particularly well-done, in my opinion. For some reason I really liked how King characterized Mike's parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

I pointed out that King really liked this version but I guess he doesn't know what he's talking about.
When it comes to the quality of adaptations of his works, he actually kinda doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. But broken clocks, etc. etc.

• Locked thread