Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just saw it. I was disappointed by the over-reliance on design and special effects for scares. The kids had some good chemistry, but otherwise I thought the human side of the story was underdeveloped all over. Like the bully, who was basically a one-note side character then all of a sudden at the end had some backstory with his dad rushed in for the climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Homo Depot posted:

I thought the movie was ok but wasn't that impressed by IT. The voice was too forcibly goofy and too many jump scares. Also I don't know why they had to play some blaring screeching noise every time a monster was running at someone.

Plus the soundtrack really telegraphed when something scary was about to happen every single time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Renoistic posted:

The moment the new It attacks Georgie looks pretty bad, unfortunately. The switch from Skarsgård to CG golem was so jarring it took me right out of the scene. The old scene is on the other hand pretty underwhelming, with the lame fade to black. I prefer Curry's performance and I watched the original yesterday, for the first time. And instead of having George run into something they could have kept the toot toot line. Oh well. Still enjoyed the new movie immensely.

I felt like I didn't need to see a full-blown shot of the clown chomping his arm off right at the beginning. Wish they saved showing off the teeth of this thing for a little later, leave a little mystery to it up front.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Mystery is overrated. Everyone knows Pennywise is a monster clown.

Well, yeah, and everyone knows Jaws is a big shark but it's still scarier to see the woman at the beginning get sucked underwater by an unseen force than it is to see a big shark head rip her limbs off.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Richie stole the show for me, particularly Beaver trapping town and gotta kill this loving clown.

I'd rank the story about 7/10, the horror 6/10, design 8/10, and sick kid burns 9.5/10

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

For an example, with Eddie's mom, we really don't get a better presentation of how much of a domineering force she is with controlling Eddie with hypochondria. We see the overflowing medicine cabinet, hear about the pharmacy account and how badly she'd freak out if she saw the first aid supplies purchased, but we don't get anything like how she was in the book when Eddie's in the hospital "in his bed of pain" or her feeling threatened by Eddie's friends or how deeply shaken she is that he knows his meds are placebos. Granted, this could also be me being a bit book pedantic as well.

I think you're spot on, because I didn't remember that plotline at all from the TV series (and never read the book), and when they got to the placebo scenes I was, like, "Oh, that's what's supposed to have been going on?"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I can see where Yaws is coming from. (I was sort of saying it a few pages back.) For me, the scene wasn't scary, just gratuitous. But not gratuitous enough to make any sort of impact with its gratuity. It was weird for me, just this bit of sanitized CGI child mutilation that felt neither artful or truly shocking. Maybe I've just seen too many movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Some fucker took a baby to mine

• Locked thread