Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think there's a more give and take with that. The organization of the book is interesting because you get George's death but then the death of a full adult man in the 80s. It's important to set-up that It doesn't exclusively kill children and setting up the rules for what it is willing to do and capable of.

The whole section with the hate crime includes people ignoring eyewitness reports of Pennywise for selfish reasons disguised as just ones, but more important is the eyewitnesses. The attackers are younger with one of them still essentially being a child. But the boyfriend of the man who's attacked sees Pennywise as well, but his whole deal is that he despises Derry. He even describes seeing Pennywise as Derry itself. And I've always taken the reason that he's able to see It is because he sees through Derry's bullshit.

Yeah, It manipulates and controls people, but I don't think the people of Derry give much in terms of resistance.

Well, you have to remember that a majority of the people of Derry were born and grew up there. Throughout their whole lives they've been steeped in IT's influence. We know that IT exists as more than just the physical. It's a pervasive influence everywhere and IT uses it to dull the people to letting it effectively run free and do as IT wills. IT can even directly take over someone, like it did Bev's dad. But you're probably right. Living in Derry probably saps any resistance you have. Whether it's just worn down by long exposure or if IT strips away the will to resist I dunno. But it doesn't take much to spur the townspeople into action or inaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually one of their "greatest fears" wasn't a Universal monster...It showed up as The Crawling Eye at one point. You know. From this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJgQrjYaLbQ

To be fair, that one came from Richie. He's had a thing about his eyes because of his glasses. I think one of his biggest fears was Henry punching him and driving a piece of glass into his eye. The movie struck a severe chord with him so the manifest monster eye was plenty scary, despite how goofy the effects look to us now.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The bit where Mike sees the giant bird didn't really do anything for me, but when it echoes what comes later in the book, what his dad saw at the Black Spot... Chilling.

Wasn't the bird suspended by balloons too?

Not when Mike saw it, or at least I don't think he noticed or that it was mentioned. But his father tells him that the bird was held up by balloons. It stopped in midair not hovering, but floating.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

He also shows up in the Dark Tower at the tail end. Has an odd effect on Roland, not the weird malaise that affects most adults, or at least those in Derry.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I'm vaguely remembering that one of the kids, a really young kid maybe 2 or 3, was dragged into the toilet and "drowned" by IT. Only, you know, it was so brutally that the poor kid's head was crushed. But Mike Hanlon's journal recalls that the mother heard a voice from the bathroom just before it happened. Presumably, IT did the same thing to the kid that it did to George.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I'm guessing it was just after the scene we saw in the trailer when they're jumping off a cliff into water? Makes sense to me, anyway. I dunno.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Acht posted:

The new Pennywise really sticks with me; it scares me and it's slowly replacing my childhood's fear of Tim Curry. :)

Don't lose it. It's always best to have a rational fear of Tim Curry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Since it's still pretty fresh in my mind, I'll weigh in on Hocksteter. He was portrayed as a dissociative sociopath. King describes his inner thoughts where the kid believes that he's the only thing that's real in the world, the rest just there for his benefit and, presumably, amusement. As an only child, he got all the attention from his parents, which was only good and proper because he was real and deserving of it. But when they came home with his baby brother and started paying more attention to the infant, he started doubting himself. That wouldn't do. He was standing at the crib after coming home from school pondering his newfound crisis when the baby started making noise. His solution was to push his brother's face into the pillow and hold him there until the noise stopped. No noise meant his mother wouldn't waking up tired all the time, which of course meant no late meals, more attention for Patrick, etc. Everyone did chalk it up to crib death. The only person who came close to the truth was Patrick's father, who saw the wet boot prints on the carpet. The pieces started falling together, but the man tore himself away from the thought process and out of the room before they could all click into place. It was never brought up again. But since Patrick had gotten his first taste of something that made the rest of the world "real", he started going down the usual serial killer route. Killing insects and small animals, and probably would have moved up to other kids like Bowers if IT hadn't gotten him first.

Incidentally, since IT is a shapeshifter that takes the form of whatever the kids' greatest fear is, and since Patrick literally couldn't feel fear because of his dissociation, IT's form is vaguely humanoid to him, only seeming to be made of runny melting wax. Bev, who was nearby when he was killed, heard IT as her father stomping around in his boots as it dragged Patrick into the drains. Patrick's biggest fear came at the end. Since to himself, he was on the only thing that was real in existence, he was afraid everything would end with him. But that's hard for a shapeshifter to manifest, I guess.

• Locked thread