Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I love the novel. The horror, the lore and history, the kids, the adults reconciling rough childhoods with adulthood, the adults moving on after the horror. It works on so many levels for me. I first read it at 16, and I had certain expectations from the miniseries. I loved the format, especially that the '58 and '85 climaxes are revealed in tandem.

The thread talked about IT and its influence over Derry, but didn't discuss just how drastic it was. During the final confrontation, the damage done to IT effects Derry and its people. A huge storm rolls in and it wreaks havoc on important locations from the novel. There's a footbridge that explodes, the Standpipe collapses, streets cave in. Even that Irish caricature cop, there's a moment when Richie has to convince himself and IT that he isn't afraid, so he speaks in the cop's silly voice. IIRC, elsewhere at the same moment, the cop stands up and says the line too and drops dead. Also, I have to commend the few previous posts mentioning how sad it is when the adults start forgetting everything that they shared together. That stuff really pulled me when I first read it, and still does when I think about it. It's pure melancholy saved only by the reader's understanding that they have truly defeated IT for good. With that, I adore the final chapter, when Bill triumphs over the final lingering threads of IT's terror and "beats the devil" and saves his catatonic wife.

I like the TV miniseries for what it is. I agree with the consensus that the first half is far superior. The DVD has a commentary track and it's a worthwhile experience, it certainly enhanced my appreciation for the film. The director seemed most pleased with the introduction and set up of seven main characters (twice--as children and adults) within 90 minutes. I have to agree with him--that's no easy feat, and such a tall order is very uncommon. He and the actors discuss some of the shortcomings and they reminisce and laugh about the good times during filming. You can sense John Ritter enjoyed the people around him and that they enjoyed having him around. It's sad when he muses on them reuniting 27 years down the road...

I'll watch the new film with an open mind and a big smile. It can't be like the 1000+ page book and that's okay. The realities of the film industry cannot bear what it would take to make a book-accurate IT adaption. (And I'm not sure I'd even want one. One reason why Stephen King films always seem crummy is because King spends so much time in character's heads.)

Here's a treat for the thread. I noticed this on my own, but I'm really surprised it hasn't popped up in more places:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm making my way through the book, and I simultaneously hope that the Turtle is left out of the film like it was in the miniseries, but also hope there is constant subtle turtle imagery all over the movie.

In the first trailer, there is definitely turtle imagery. Part of the construction site is a tarp covering a dirt mound with weights on the edges. A common thing for a construction site during a storm, and it works perfectly here. At :20 and :26 it looks like a turtle shell, and :27 when Georgie rises and passes the road block it absolutely looks like a turtle shell.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnCdOQsX5kc

I can recall one turtle reference around this scene in the novel. When Georgie goes to the basement to get the wax for the paper boat, the jar is labelled something like Turtle Brand Wax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
There's a meta point about this discussion of a luring, false expectation clown.

The trailer pulls the same trick. It comes to a full stop for the laugh of the child Georgie running face first into the road block. At first it's fun and light-hearted but it turns dark and deadly very quickly.

I've been wondering if the trailer was cut that way to set the tone for how Pennywise operates in the film.

• Locked thread