Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah the key is they are normal people who AREN'T being brainwashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm gearing up to reread the book, but I think it's a little of both, which makes it even more effective: some of them are being subconsciously influenced by this ancient evil, and some of them are just pricks.

It's sort of a literalism thing. Cthulhu the clown is "influencing" them, but he's a metaphor and nothing they do is outside the realm of normal human behavior. So they're brainwashed by the deadlights and/or social conformity, exploitative atomization, privacy as opposite of community, whatever. Pennywise is ultimately no better an excuse for being evil than all that poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah it also leads to an interesting "which came first?" thing that the book touches on in its more cosmic moments.

Extending that metaphor, King is questioning whether society sucks because humans suck, or humans suck because their society is incidentally hosed. He's a fairly cynical guy but seems to come down for the latter more often than the former.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I knew it would look good, like you say, Stoker looked amazing. But there's something really surprising about this, it's hard to describe.

I know you loved Mama too so I think you were maybe justness preparing yourself to be let down and welp. Good news!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Everyone keeps making Nightmare on Elm Street comparisons when the real truth is that It is a crossbreed of The Most Dangerous Game and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Go on

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Absolutely not. Think on it.

I haven't seen It yet but yeah that makes sense based on my memory of the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!