Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tenzarin posted:

I rewatched the made for tv movies last night, its almost comically how ignorant and malevolent the common people of the town are. Like how no adults trust the kids and even that kid who the fat kid's family is living with saying that they only took them in because of their "Christian's duty". Its almost like the small town deserves to be preyed upon by a giant spider

Is the original up on like Netflix or Hulu or anything? It's been forever since I've seen it. Hell, the only part I remember from the movie is Bill taking Audra on his old Bicycle.

Out of all the kids, I'm most interested in Finn Wolfhard as Richie. That kid was great in Stranger Things. And I heard talk that the Duffer Brothers wanted to make/write/direct (don't exactly recall) this update of it, but got turned down because they weren't big names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You don't have to read/imagine about it. Just watch the video of the Station Nightclub Fire as it happened to be permanently scared for life.

There were terrible nightclub fires in Brazil and Russia too. In the thread about one of them, there was video from outside the club of people spilling out the door just completely engulfed in flames. That and the pile-up of victims close to the exit were some seriously chilling things.

(Unrelated but in the Brazil one, the band's accordion player died. He got out safely but ran back into the burning club to rescue his accordion. Dumbass.)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ozza posted:

I've recently finished the book and was surprised how much I enjoyed it, though King does love his excruciatingly detailed semi-tangents. I'm interested to see whether Mike's giant bird makes it into this version. That was one element that enjoyed but can't imagine how it would make it to the screen without looking goofy.

I'm wondering how much they'll alter the 'greatest fears' the kids have, given it's now set in the 80s. I don't remember the TV movie IT too much, but I know in the book a lot of the kids' biggest fears were based on the Universal monsters stable; IT showed up as the Gill-Man and Frankenstein's monster (maybe mummy and the wolfman too?)

I'm sure licensing/royalties would be some kind of nightmare, but their fears would likely be updated to then current horror staples like Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien xenomorph etc.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

No way do I want to see Freddie Kruger in this. That would be super anachronistic and totally out of place.

It's changed so that the childhood part is set in 1989; wouldn't be out of place.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I used to get really freaked out by the VHS cover for Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part II which is funny in retrospect (it's the Breakfast Club parody one).

Edit:oops

LEATHERFACE YOU RUINED THE IT THREAD!
Though, toss Leatherface into 'poo poo 80s kids might be terrified of'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ruddiger posted:

There is no way in hell this will ever happen and it's getting tired as gently caress hearing people wish for this.

Now if Cujo, Christine, and the little creature from Cat's Eye shows up, then we're in business.

Have people been sperging out about that online? I honestly just popped off a few horror icons I was scared of in the early 90s.

I do like Fart City's line of thinking, but would 'oh no I'm afraid of *era relevant Stephen King piece of lit*' be just a bit too on the nose?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 8, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Horrible Taste posted:

There's been on-set pics of the Leper and theres even a glimpse of it chasing Eddie in the trailer.

The trailer also has a quick shot of what looks like blood spewing out of Bev's sink.

Got around to giving IT a re-watch, and I feel like what I watched was edited way down. Scenes like IT digging the graves, Bill seeing Stan's head in the fridge, Richie's vision of IT in the library were all gone. Anybody know what's up with that? Did they make an edited version to fit the runtime of a regular movie or something for re-airing it?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rolo posted:

I've never seen the part with It digging the graves, but o do vaguely remember Stan's head (talking?) I think there are edited versions.

Well, that's weird that there seems to be more than one edit. Maybe digging graves and a talking head hallucination for a ten pm airing on TBS, but not the noon on a Sunday slot.

At least they didn't cut the most pivotal scene of Bill and Mike dicking around on a playground after fixing the old bike.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kawabata posted:

They are certainly trying to market the movie as if he has a tryhard murder face, you are correct. Whether this is exaggerated to lure younger audiences or not we don't know, but right now we can at least assume he looks much more dangerous than a clown should, because how is he supposed to lure children then?

That's the problem with trailers; you have to sell the audience on it in about 90 seconds, so of course you're gonna go 'spooky scary evil murder clown jumpscare' and I guess try to ride off of that whole 'scary clown' craze that was happening, what, last year?

I know it wasn't a huge plot thing, but with the time shift, Ben's dad dying in the Korean War will now be Ben's dad dying in ???. That was one of the more eerie scenes in the miniseries, when It appears as his dad, in uniform, at first it's normal, but in the next shot he's holding balloons and has big orange pompoms on the suit.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

In this trailer they show Patrick Hockstetter a few times beyond the missing poster. Doubt they'll keep in some of the really twisted stuff he gets up to, but he'll at least be a bully that goes missing. At 30 seconds Richie passes him, at 35 seconds he's with Bowers torturing Ben, and a about 2:04 it looks like he's trying to light something on fire/getting attacked by fire while screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUTdjf9rko

Not much more, but it looks like there's a few seconds of new footage at the end of this 30 second TV spot

http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3451206/creepy-new-footage-another-new-tv-spot/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

el oso posted:

gently caress yes.

From what I recall, the existing miniseries is pretty decent for at least half or a little more of the runtime, then really gets too corny for the end. They did well with the casting though.

I think one of the main things The Stand had going for it was the sheer number of popular/well-known and well-remembered actors stuffed into it. Yeah, it got reeeeeeeal corny by the end, but the first two episodes of it scared the heck out of me, especially stuff like Larry wandering through NYC yelling for anyone else that might still be alive or Stu escaping quarantine in the hospital once everything went to poo poo.

Though one of the most glaring 'this is prime time television things' was when the Judge (Ossie Davis) got into the shootout with Flagg's scouts when he was on his way to LV. I think I brought this up in a GBS thread, apologies if it was in this thread, but instead of simply implying the Judge had his face blown away, Ossie Davis just cups his hands in front of his face after getting shot.

A redone miniseries could be cool, as long as they still left out some of the 'King's obligatory weird sex stuff' like 'Trash gets sodomized with a pistol'.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This might be a dumb question, but what was up with Mike always holding his forearm? I first noticed it after he pulled the garage door open and thought he hurt his arm in the attack/wrenching it open. Then I noticed him doing it any time they were standing around.

Just a character tic, or had he been hurt by like, Bowers and co when they were holding him down earlier in the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

QuoProQuid posted:

It’s common body language that suggests nervousness or a lack of self-confidence.

I used to do it all the time when I was a kid.

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. I thought it was a cool little subtle detail.

• Locked thread