Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

This got me once while I was going in to/out of Germany. I had both an EU/US passport and didn't feel like waiting in line to get a stamp in my US passport so I just walked through the EU citizen line when going in to Germany. When I was flying out they checked my US Passport for an entry stamp and couldn't find it. They asked me about it and didn't care, but warned me not to do it again. I'm sure they could have made a bigger deal of it.
Was this a while ago? Neither EU countries nor the US stamp passports very much anymore. Especially not for their own citizens.

I just use my US passport in the US (not just a good idea; it's the law!) and my EU passport in the EU.

Residency Evil posted:

Huh, didn't know that, thanks. While we're on the topic, is there any reason for me to keep my EU passport active if I have no real plans on ever going back? I moved when I was 1 so I think the chances are slim.
If for no other reason than it might be a pain in the rear end at some point in the future to renew an expired passport abroad. Maybe it already is.

Do you have to visit a consulate to renew it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Huh, didn't know that, thanks. While we're on the topic, is there any reason for me to keep my EU passport active if I have no real plans on ever going back? I moved when I was 1 so I think the chances are slim.

Basically the only reason to keep it active is:

(1) You want to spend more than 3 months in Europe out of 6
(2) You want to travel to a country that has visa-waiver with your EU passport, but does not with your US one. (e.g. it'd cost the same to get your Brazilian visa as it would to renew your EU passport, and a lot more hassle)

I've never heard of an expired passport being harder to renew than a currently-valid passport. It's only hard to get a passport if you're a citizen of [country X] but have -never- received its passport and now you live abroad and have a different citizenship.

Either way, make sure to pass your citizenships onto your kids unless it causes some hassle like mandatory military service or whatever. I know a handful of people whose parents missed the deadline for passing on citizenship (often must be done before age 18-20) and who regretted that their parents never did it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

I've never heard of an expired passport being harder to renew than a currently-valid passport.

You've obviously never been a French citizen living abroad :france:

If you have your current passport and it's not expired you literally just need the passport, a passport photo and a visit to the consulate. If you have let it expired, well congratulations you're in bureacratic hell.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

You've obviously never been a French citizen living abroad :france:

If you have your current passport and it's not expired you literally just need the passport, a passport photo and a visit to the consulate. If you have let it expired, well congratulations you're in bureacratic hell.

It looks like the system with an expired passport is still pretty easy? https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F21091

Even with more than 5 years expired, all you need is a photo, the super-basic request form 12100*02, proof of residence (French or otherwise), €96, and then either some non-passport identity card, or your birth certificate, and you have to go in person to a consulate. Going in person sounds like a hassle for anyone living in a large country like Canada or the US, but for something done no more often than once every 15 years (10 years validity + > 5 years after expiration ; if your passport is expired < 5 years ago you just take it and the money and the basic form).

E: In any case the biggest hassle, going in person, looks like it's required for all passport renewals abroad regardless of validity? ("Pour demander un nouveau passeport, vous devez vous rendre au consulat avec les pièces justificatives nécessaires. [...] Les documents à présenter dépendent de la date de validité de l'ancien passeport.") Which sounds pretty crazy, but also France.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 17, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

It looks like the system with an expired passport is still pretty easy? https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F21091

Even with more than 5 years expired, all you need is a photo, the super-basic request form 12100*02, proof of residence (French or otherwise), €96, and then either some non-passport identity card, or your birth certificate, and you have to go in person to a consulate. Going in person sounds like a hassle for anyone living in a large country like Canada or the US, but for something done no more often than once every 15 years (10 years validity + > 5 years after expiration ; if your passport is expired < 5 years ago you just take it and the money and the basic form).

E: In any case the biggest hassle, going in person, looks like it's required for all passport renewals abroad regardless of validity? ("Pour demander un nouveau passeport, vous devez vous rendre au consulat avec les pièces justificatives nécessaires. [...] Les documents à présenter dépendent de la date de validité de l'ancien passeport.") Which sounds pretty crazy, but also France.

Yeah but if your passport isn't expired, literally all you need is one photo, one piece of photo ID and your current passport.

Plus if your situation doesn't fit their parameters exactly perfectly, you're completely screwed. When my mom was at the consulate getting hers re-done a couple of months ago there was a guy trying to get his passport renewed from inside of France, where he was at the time. Except that apparently the entire system doesn't allow for that to happen, and I can't remember the details but apparently the guy was completely screwed and unable to get a passport until he came back to Canada, despite being in his country of birth and citizenship because LOL France.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm from the Philippines, and am applying for a Schengen Visa for a trip to Iceland. It asks about employment, and I'm wondering what the best way is to present myself regarding my finances:

1. I get money from freelance projects, but because I'm extremely flush at the moment, I've chosen not to take on any new ones, so I wouldn't be able to present payslips since January. Should I just write that I'm unemployed, or would this reflect badly? I own property and have a fairly good amount in my bank account; might that be sufficient to convince them I'm not going to run?

2. I'm actually registered as an employee at my mom's company, so that I can have our accountant file my taxes, based on what I earn from my projects; I have no salary with the company itself. Should I just list myself as an employee there? I don't want to look suspicious on account of having a Certificate of Employment from them but not having any recent deposits in my bank account.

3. I actually do have a small stream of money from interest on a loan I've given out; would it be better to include this? That's not really employment though, but it's not an insignificant amount.

Or, am I just overthinking all this? Should I just write that I'm unemployed, turn in a bank certificate showing I have a lot of money, and be done with it?

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!
Traveling to Mexico from the US next month in July and I just realized my passport expires at the end of August. From what I've read quickly, Mexico doesn't adhere to the 6 month expiration rule. Am I ok to travel or should I go ahead and try to get a new one expedited?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

french toast posted:

Traveling to Mexico from the US next month in July and I just realized my passport expires at the end of August. From what I've read quickly, Mexico doesn't adhere to the 6 month expiration rule. Am I ok to travel or should I go ahead and try to get a new one expedited?

Mexico might not have the rule, but your airline might be dicks. They can decline to board you in such cases. You should call your airline and double-check though, but IMO get an expedited new passport. It takes two weeks, right? You should be fine.

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

Saladman posted:

Mexico might not have the rule, but your airline might be dicks. They can decline to board you in such cases. You should call your airline and double-check though, but IMO get an expedited new passport. It takes two weeks, right? You should be fine.

Yea that seems like the best course of action. I filled everything out to have a new one expedited. Thanks for the help.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I bought a ticket to Namibia transferring through Luanda, and now I'm a bit paranoid that I might need at least one transit visa. Any idea how I can find out if the "onward travel without visa" rule actually applies reliably or not? I've seen that you don't need visas for stays in Angola of < 24 hours as long as you have a forward-bound international ticket, but now I wonder how much trouble we might have. Luanda's current airport does not have an international area, so everyone arriving goes through immigration, although we might be lucky and their new airport might open before our flight (April 2018) which would probably eliminate this problem.

Flight is Lisbon->Luanda ; change planes ; Luanda->Windhoek (with non-deplaning stop in Lubango).

We bought our tickets with TAAG so I'll call them and the Angolan embassy, but I'm guessing that what the employees at the embassy might tell me will have about as much weight as what strangers on the internet can tell me (i.e. very little).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Angolan embassy should be able to tell you.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

The Angolan embassy should be able to tell you.

Yeah, if they ever pick up their phone during their 3 hours a day 2 times a week phone hours. In any case the airline (TAAG) said it's fine, and they're the airline so I guess it means it'll work out. Now I just hope the new Luanda airport is open by the time of our flight...

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I'm trying to order my first passport, I see they now require photocopies. I can't get my birth certificate to perfectly fit inside the frame it's either going to have to have borders or have the edges cut off which is preferable? For the copy of my DL does it have to be centered on the page? or does it matter if it's aligned to the edge? and when they say black and white do they mean literal monochromatic black and white or simply grayscale? I know I'm probably overthinking this but I've heard that these people are kind of touchy at the office I'm going to and I have a phone call 30 minutes after they open so if at all possible I'd like to be able to drop my docs off, get my picture, then run.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Having borders on a photocopy is fine, and certainly better than cutting off bits of the document being copied. Centered on the page or aligned tot he edge doesn't matter as long as its in some vaguely reasonable direction (e.g. not at a weird angle) that would make it inconvenient to handle. They mean grayscale. And yes, you are definitely overthinking this.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Brazil is going to start e-visas.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news/2017/09/brazil-to-begin-issuing-e-visas-for-australians-in-november

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Almost just got hosed over by the Taiwanese consulate. I had to apply for a visa (as a non-American), the guy looked over the documents and said I had enough money in the checking account and didn't need to provide booked accommodation, which I had with me. It'll be fine, come back in 3 days he said. This morning I get a call that they visa is not approved yet... because they want to see more money and the hotels. Fuuck.

Thankfully it was enough to email some pdfs from booking.com but it will now take another three days. C'mon. Also most SE Asian countries (including Thailand, Macao and HK) either don't require a visa at all or provide one on arrival and not for $100 like this one.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I was really surprised when I showed up as an American in Taiwan with bank statements and stuff and they just stamped my poo poo and told me to have fun. I'm don't want to pry, but I think they usually want to see a statement with at least $2 or $3k USD for short trips, if that helps.

Like I think it took longer for PRC citizens to get through.

Also jiffypop45, the post office just made a copy for me before they sent it. Just make an appointment with the post office and they'll get you squared away real quick.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

This topic goes really slow but I appreciate the advice. I went to an office that did photos and had them take a terrible photo for me (seriously it's bad). However I've been using my passport ever since without issue!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dougdrums posted:

I was really surprised when I showed up as an American in Taiwan with bank statements and stuff and they just stamped my poo poo and told me to have fun. I'm don't want to pry, but I think they usually want to see a statement with at least $2 or $3k USD for short trips, if that helps.

Like I think it took longer for PRC citizens to get through.
Definitely had less than $3k at the time, my regular account tops out at about that and everything else goes to savings. So it was less after buying the tickets and paying rent of course, but had a clear history and got topped back up today. I'm just annoyed they said it was ok when I was there in person as I could've easily transferred more money there on the spot or provided a printout from the savings account. I forgot to mention it in the initial post but I'm supposed to leave next Sunday so this is cutting it unpleasantly short for no good reason.

Saladman posted:

I bought a ticket to Namibia transferring through Luanda, and now I'm a bit paranoid that I might need at least one transit visa. Any idea how I can find out if the "onward travel without visa" rule actually applies reliably or not? I've seen that you don't need visas for stays in Angola of < 24 hours as long as you have a forward-bound international ticket, but now I wonder how much trouble we might have. Luanda's current airport does not have an international area, so everyone arriving goes through immigration, although we might be lucky and their new airport might open before our flight (April 2018) which would probably eliminate this problem.

Flight is Lisbon->Luanda ; change planes ; Luanda->Windhoek (with non-deplaning stop in Lubango).

We bought our tickets with TAAG so I'll call them and the Angolan embassy, but I'm guessing that what the employees at the embassy might tell me will have about as much weight as what strangers on the internet can tell me (i.e. very little).
Did you figure this out? Because it reminds me of getting a 12-hour Ethiopian visa on my trip to South Africa. They wanted me to go to loving Moscow to get the visa even though I live in the EU, the logic being based on my citizenship (which isn't Russian but we don't have a consulate) and not residence. In the end I just showed up in Frankfurt while I was on business there and got it done on the sport, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Definitely had less than $3k at the time, my regular account tops out at about that and everything else goes to savings. So it was less after buying the tickets and paying rent of course, but had a clear history and got topped back up today. I'm just annoyed they said it was ok when I was there in person as I could've easily transferred more money there on the spot or provided a printout from the savings account. I forgot to mention it in the initial post but I'm supposed to leave next Sunday so this is cutting it unpleasantly short for no good reason.

Did you figure this out? Because it reminds me of getting a 12-hour Ethiopian visa on my trip to South Africa. They wanted me to go to loving Moscow to get the visa even though I live in the EU, the logic being based on my citizenship (which isn't Russian but we don't have a consulate) and not residence. In the end I just showed up in Frankfurt while I was on business there and got it done on the sport, thankfully.

Yeah, no visa required for <24 hour onward travel, and since the new airport isn’t open yet I could even go into town if I wanted (ie there is no transfer terminal in the old airport). This is only because it’s a connecting flight on the national carrier, I’m not sure I’d risk it for another type of transfer, not they there is so much going on in Luandas airport. Russia has the same style of visa free airport transfers iirc.

Caveat: my trip is in April so maybe I will get detained in Lisbon on the way in or Windhoek on the way out, but seems like I should be okay. I talked to TAAG but not the embassy. I’ll probably calll them when time is closer, in case Dos Santos being replaced by an apparently truly independent next president has any impact on travel documents.

• Locked thread