Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I once got a permanent residency stamp on my passport when I went to New Zealand. Didn't think anything of it. Then the next year when I went back to NZ the customs agent was like "uhhhhhhh..." and so I explained what happened and he was like "oh ok that's fine, I just couldn't see any record of you actually being a permanent resident in my computer" and gave me a tourist stamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I drove to the United States today to drop an (American) friend off on that side of the border so her mom could pick her up, and I could pick up a parcel that I'd had shipped there.

The border agent questioned her as to how "she came to be born in France". Apparently she wasn't American enough for him. Then he didn't believe us when we said we had no food in the car. Apparently we had "too much luggage" for there to be no food at all in it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

This got me once while I was going in to/out of Germany. I had both an EU/US passport and didn't feel like waiting in line to get a stamp in my US passport so I just walked through the EU citizen line when going in to Germany. When I was flying out they checked my US Passport for an entry stamp and couldn't find it. They asked me about it and didn't care, but warned me not to do it again. I'm sure they could have made a bigger deal of it.

Why didn't you just hand them your EU passport when you were going out? I always play matchies with my EU/Canadian passports.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Wouldn't I have to show them a valid way of getting in to the US before I could get on the plane, such as a Visa or Green Card?
The exit customs people don't give a poo poo if you're allowed into your destination, especially if you hand them an EU passport (which means even if the USA denies you you just get sent back to the EU where you're a citizen). The only people who might care are the airline, some of them will check to make sure you can get into your destination country, but they have nothing to do with exit customs, just show them your US passport and you're fine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

I've never heard of an expired passport being harder to renew than a currently-valid passport.

You've obviously never been a French citizen living abroad :france:

If you have your current passport and it's not expired you literally just need the passport, a passport photo and a visit to the consulate. If you have let it expired, well congratulations you're in bureacratic hell.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

It looks like the system with an expired passport is still pretty easy? https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F21091

Even with more than 5 years expired, all you need is a photo, the super-basic request form 12100*02, proof of residence (French or otherwise), €96, and then either some non-passport identity card, or your birth certificate, and you have to go in person to a consulate. Going in person sounds like a hassle for anyone living in a large country like Canada or the US, but for something done no more often than once every 15 years (10 years validity + > 5 years after expiration ; if your passport is expired < 5 years ago you just take it and the money and the basic form).

E: In any case the biggest hassle, going in person, looks like it's required for all passport renewals abroad regardless of validity? ("Pour demander un nouveau passeport, vous devez vous rendre au consulat avec les pièces justificatives nécessaires. [...] Les documents à présenter dépendent de la date de validité de l'ancien passeport.") Which sounds pretty crazy, but also France.

Yeah but if your passport isn't expired, literally all you need is one photo, one piece of photo ID and your current passport.

Plus if your situation doesn't fit their parameters exactly perfectly, you're completely screwed. When my mom was at the consulate getting hers re-done a couple of months ago there was a guy trying to get his passport renewed from inside of France, where he was at the time. Except that apparently the entire system doesn't allow for that to happen, and I can't remember the details but apparently the guy was completely screwed and unable to get a passport until he came back to Canada, despite being in his country of birth and citizenship because LOL France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Angolan embassy should be able to tell you.

• Locked thread