Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Not sure if this is what you're looking for and it's definitely not glamorous, but my wife and I sell stuff on Ebay. We go out to garage sales on Thurs/Fri/Sat mornings and then put it all up over the next few days. We've been doing it for over a year now and we're starting to gross 1.5-2K a month ($2050 over the last 30 days looking at it right now), we did about 3.5K in December for Christmas. We could definitely be doing more/working harder - and there are definitely plenty of people that do something similar that make more - but it fits around our schedules and we're happy with it. I just got a "real" job now that I finished school in December, so we'll probably have to cut back significantly/completely (only go out on Saturdays at most). It is/was definitely fun and rewarding while we were doing it, but you really have to bust your rear end and spend the other days scouring all the thrift shops in the area looking for good deals if you want to do much better. Some people are really good at clothes so they can do that, but I haven't had almost any success the few times I've tried. It depends a lot on your area as well probably.

I would definitely recommend doing this to anyone that thinks they can over working a lovely retail job (which is what I was doing). Whenever I see someone complaining about making minimum wage or close to it I always just think they aren't trying hard enough now that I've been doing this. Anyone can do it, and you can definitely have a part time job and still do it, since the only mandatory hours you need are 7-10 AM Fri-Sat (Thursday is usually not too profitable but I've been doing it lately because I didn't have anything better to do). You just need a printer and at least a part of a spare room to put all your crap in. When my kid turns 16 I'm gonna tell them to get out there and start doing it if they wants some spending money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is probably heavily contingent on a combination of where you live and how many other people are doing the same thing. If the number of people in your area doing this suddenly doubled or tripled you'd probably start finding it much harder to find lucrative things at nearby garage sales.

It's good advice on an individual level, but it's not like you could solve poverty by just telling all poor people to resell things on Ebay.

Well actually yes anyone can do this and here is why: there are a lot of different avenues other than my own if you are just willing to be open minded and think for yo..

RCarr posted:

Honestly, even if it did exist, do you think whoever knew about it would go telling random strangers on the internet?

No.. nevermind, you're right. No one should bother looking into this, especially if you live in SE Texas, ty.

E: that was probably a little heavy handed, but after writing a page trying to justify why it's so good and easy with too many examples I realized it's not worth it to post. I wasn't telling everyone to do it. I never said I actually respond to people bitching in that manner. I prefer if they wouldn't for obvious reasons. I just believe if you're in a tight spot financially you should probably be looking for more creative avenues for money other than the obvious exploitations of society. Companies pay poo poo because they know there is an endless stream of high school kids/lazy idiots/old people willing to fill their spaces. If you fall in the middle category you should probably be looking ahead. It is very easy to supplement your income with this line of work even if you do have to take a poo poo job to keep up. But yeah, no one is going to actually give you any legit details - only an idiot/someone getting out would do that.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread