Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

That looks like an old one that at least tries.

New ones might as well be a pamphlet that says "refer to dealership".
Yeah. The Porsche 924 one, for example, has all the gearbox rebuild stuff in there. More modern ones are just "You no touchy".

Even if they aren't going to give the details on the correct sequence etc, they could at least give a big chart of tolerances and torque specs and let me work it out for myself. This is why I have factory manuals for some cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

gently caress I'm dumb
They got me, too, took me a good couple of hours to register.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

pink lady apples are the best apples
Gala. Royal or otherwise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, as much as it's a problem in the immediate future, perhaps long term you're better elsewhere. Those "reasons" aren't even worthy of comment in a work environment, Jesus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now that was just an accident, and it only happened twice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

I recommend getting a month ahead on bills.
I did this.

Then I spent it on whisky, cigars, and car/bike parts going forward.

I'm not sure what it means to "sound baller", but if it's similar to how I usually feel after half a bottle of bourbon (and the opposite of being able to feel your own face), fair enough.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

clam ache posted:

No I feel like rhyno would get more use with that.

Ether Frenzy posted:

women: "It's hard to beat a ramp shag"
Your women want some of that hot Rhyno action, C/D?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Blipshift Restomod sale! How many shirts should I buy? I am tempted by the M3NTAL shirt, but also worry that it might be in poor taste.The Joyride one is probably a yes.
How is it in poor taste?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The word "mental" might come off a little insensitive. With a group of like minded Bavaria enthusiasts you're probably fine.
If you like the shirt, I wouldn't even worry about it. If someone decides it gets up their nose, they can do one. Wear what you like.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What you're seeing here more and more now is the point-of-sales staff in McDonalds and the like being thinned out in favour of automatic self-service ordering touchscreens, so where you had, say, 4 till servers, they now have one till server and 1 "handover" person at the collection point. People do come out with some poo poo relating to minimum wage etc, but the argument that a large increase in it only benefits those employees who are still left has a certain amount of truth to it.

Then you have things like zero-hour and part-time contracts and a dozen different ways to sidestep paying people certain benefits etc, and while the basic idea is a noble one - to have people in any job earning an actual living worthy of the term - there's going to be an awful lot of chasing down unintended loopholes etc that float to the surface as businesses try to optimise to suit whatever the rules are.

Plus you have the USA's inane thing with paying people in service sectors poo poo and expecting their income to be made up by tips, which is an absurd way of doing things, but seems quite well dug-in at this point.

The only bit that bugs me with minimum wage stuff is politicians acting smug about "doing" something. No, you told businesses to pay people more money, and then you get to take a slice of the increase in tax revenue. You've "done" sweet gently caress all yourself.

Bathroom chat: Can someone explain those "engineered beams" to me? It honestly looks like a wood RSJ made out of a sheet of OSB and some timber. I don't think I've ever seen that in a UK house.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've actually been seeing a sharp decrease in self-serve checkouts here. Small city, so the crowds here aren't usually huge, but people hate the self checkouts and most places decided it was cheaper to keep someone running a register than to have to keep maintaining the fragile things and hurting customer goodwill at the same time.
Interesting. They're very well established at supermarkets here, and while they can be annoying as gently caress when they have a hissy fit about item weight etc, they're very convenient and people do use them a lot if they have only a few items. It's the touchscreen ordering/POS stuff in fast food restaurants that's newer, though I've seen it in other countries long before.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's exactly that. My house has these instead which are pretty loving stiff and light as hell. Easy as piss to run cables and pipes through them as well, obviously.

Hmm, ok, I can imagine that in a loft, but between floors I guess I just expect to see old fashioned solid joists. I assume the more involved fabrication pays for itself in material savings etc.

So if your house is using Lotus-style lightweight construction, do you have the dodgy electrics to go with it? :britain:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I feel like Uber only hit it big because, as I understand it, minicabs have never been a thing in the USA?

I think a large proportion of Uber drivers here are just minicab drivers using it as an additional avenue for bookings.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

No, there's minicabs here. They're called 'Every cab company' though, because there is no such thing as a London Black Cab concept that exceeds the 'generally poo poo service, on their schedule' you get from UK minicabs and cab companies in the US. Which is how Uber managed to claw a foothold - because if you call the local minicab company and it's a 45 minute wait before Steve McDonald can get over to you, it's exactly the same thing as calling any of the 'cab companies' in the US. Uber solved that.

I had a minicab from NW6 once where he didn't know how to get to Harrod's and I had to direct him, which is exactly like getting a medallion'd yellow cab in NYC and he won't know how to get to Central Park. (this happens too)
Ah, this may be where there's a slight misunderstanding. Minicab isn't "normal car" versus "black cab" taxi, it's a licensing difference. A minicab is "private hire", you cannot hail them on the street, you have to book them (this can just mean yelling "OI MATE I NEED TO GET TO THE STATION" through the open door of their office), while a "hackney carriage" can pickup fares at will. Although the traditional black cab is often used because it's been very specifically optimised for the purpose - and thus is generally the best choice - you don't have to use one.

stump posted:

Been driving this all week. 1.0t 100ps 5 speed manual. Very impressed. Not quick, but considering it's the base engine it's utterly adequate. Pulls nicely from 40 to 90 in third, torque curve is flat but just enough.

Handles well, plenty of bum feedback but bugger all through the steering. 43mph over 360 miles which isn't bad considering I would get about the same from a diesel on the same run.

Interior is half nice and half cheap poo poo, sync works fine but speakers were crap. Doesn't have cruise control though.
I loved the 125bhp Fiesta Ecoboost I had recently - again, no cruise control, bit of a silly omission in my opinion. Not sure about a lower powered Focus, but the engine itself is impressive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, that's most of the US. Outside of the dense city centers, you call a cab company and they dispatch, they rarely if ever take hails on the street (because that's a great way to get carjacked).
But they legally can, and have licence/regulatory oversight to go with that, yes? That's the difference. If I understand correctly, you lacked that existing lower-level "pre-book only, and thus not a licensed taxi" element which Uber is plugging.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

If you are trying to support a family on minimum wage you are doing life wrong.
There is no scenario in which trying to support your family by having a job is "doing life wrong". Save that attitude for people who think it's a good idea to have multiple kids despite having not had a job for the best part of a decade.

It's not unreasonable to believe that the system working should mean that 40hrs a week gets you a roof over your head and three squares a day, without keeping you awake at night over the fiscal gymnastics required to do so.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Hey, it's hard to come to grips with the idea that you're being constantly undervalued as an employee

If burger flippers are demanding your salary to stay alive, your actual training and certification aren't as much of an asset as you originally thought
It's perfectly justified to get annoyed about that, but what makes you a dick is if you blame the burger flippers for getting uppity.

Ether Frenzy posted:

if you wait long enough they'll eventually say some dumbfuck poo poo about how CEO pay can never be capped because then all the good CEOs will go do charity work instead to spite us
No, but I will say that capping how much someone may earn from their own private ventures (so you're not personally paying them and it's not public money) is morally dubious and accelerating rapidly toward simple crab bucketing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If a company needs government assistance programs to step up and handle the shortcomings in the pay they offer their full time employees in order to main societal order, and additionally the company is profitable because of corporate welfare offered through tax breaks for companies that don't need them but have powerful lobbies and reliance on republican legislative shitheadism, then I guess gently caress the moral dubiousness of garnishing the CEO's wages to pay back some of the governmental largesse they're enjoying at the expense of the middle class and workers for their own company.
You can address all of those issues without capping how much someone may earn.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If they want to make a billion bucks by paying wages that no one can live on, then they can go gently caress themselves and much more morally corrupt
Except I didn't say that.

Working full time should pay enough to live on. Beyond that, if you can figure out how to get your shareholders to let you have twice as much rice on each square of the chessboard, fair play to you, it really isn't anyone else's concern, though you may have to make your own decisions about how to weather the social/politcal fallout.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 8, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Except that's exactly what a CEO who wants to make a billion bucks does. There comes a point where it's about greed rather than honest reward - and if the renumeration package is 33 million while the employees cant earn a living wage, then the CEO is a loving rear end in a top hat.
Yes, they are. But you can set the rules such that they must pay a living wage while leaving them to do their own thing and you solve the problem being discussed.

If I were a CEO and you said I can only earn, say, 100x what my lowest-paid employee does, all I'll do is spin out my low-earning departments as separate companies which i subcontract work to, and make sure "my" employees are all the high earners that let me stay where I am while notionally meeting the rule. That's what happens with this poo poo, and it's what will continue to happen. Keep it simple, say that you have to pay people a minimum livable wage without any loopholes to exploit, and you've achieved the objective.

Beyond that, you're doing it because you want to punish people for being rich. If you're paying the people at the bottom enough, how much anyone else gets is a moot point.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It is indeed. I woke up on a farm populated with babby goats and cows, petted 4 dogs and 2 cats, was shown an old Range Rover V8 I can play mechanic with, ate an egg sandwich, sat in the sun... It's a drat fine day.
I like the implication that working on it is just, you know, if you fancy it. It doesn't actually need anything.

Edit: Just seen FB post. :getin: :britain:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 8, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Maksimus54 posted:

There's a local burger joint here in Seattle, Dicks Drive In. They pay $15 and hour in Seattle, $13 an hour out of city. 100% medical benefits, $9000 a year childcare and a $25000 college scholarship.

Dicks believes in serving not just their customers but also the community. In the last couple years they've added one store and have plans to add another. They are a treasure to the city and every local hits up the Dick's nearest them everytime they return home from travel.

Point is you can run a successful business and treat your employees with dignity and respect, provide a fair wage and excellent benefits even when your employees are just students. I don't think they employee anyone over 25.
I'm just amazed this has never been mentioned in a 14" thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

So we've lit the fire for the first time this year.
Busman's holiday much? :tif:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Stressful day. Modern medicine is magical.
:ohdear: Hope it works out ok.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Isn't that the one co-starring his Lincoln?
Yes. His other half, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If you're wrong, them's fighting words.
Are you calling shenanigans?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You'll spend 1hr40m a day commuting, as opposed to 1hr currently.

Assuming a 40hr work week, that's 48hrs20m out your life a week rather than 45. So your actual increase per hour is only 5%.

That may or may not matter to you, but it's why I would need a very serious offer to move from my current, very convenient, workplace.

Also, if you like your current place, can do your job "easily", and get on with people there, maybe it's better to consider how you want to move up where you are. Perhaps put in a proposal to institute an ISO regime? What do you mean by that, anyway? 9001?

Chasing money isn't always the best option, I've come to regard the metric to use as the money-to-hassle ratio.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

Though difficult, look past the pretension and you'll find a lot of useful information in there. The cringe factor can be high but nobody eats a bran muffin cuz they like the flavor, amirite?
Other instructional videos are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYX-7emO4U

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

Sure are, but that guy's tank top is causing reflexive eye-rolling.
Dom is awesome though. And he's a character on a comedy Youtube channel.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've done the same in the past, no biggie. I recommend his 'do you even lift?' video. In short, you don't lift.
Don't forget to make sure you're not hurting yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEGySOH35-g

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

Just got the formal letter and their benefits information.

I pay $293.08 over two weeks for my health insurance right now, but thats for $900 individual deductible / $1800 family deductible, in network.

The new company is $1200/$3600 but only would cost me $234.07 every two weeks.

I would get two weeks vacation this year, three starting next year. Here I'd have to wait four more years to get that third week.

Man... This is a hard decision...
Jesus Christ dude. Your loving country.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

For me it's a real and horrible reminder that my parents are only mortal, but hopefully they've a few more years to enjoy together.
I get you on that :smith:. Glad he's ok, and hopefully it sounds like this is something he's predisposed to and hasn't taken any preventative measures against, so some relatively minor tweaks will make a massive difference to how things are goign forwards.

angryrobots posted:

Keep the bacon and eggs and cut out the trans fats. It will absolutely jack up your cholesterol.
Yeah, have a proper look into it before making any decisions. Dietary cholesterol does not necessarily relate to your own.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
As opposed to emptying the population centres and taking all the people to where the gas is.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

How do you gently caress up the basic marketing rule of 'don't mention Hitler without thinking carefully about your comments in advance'?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I apparently did mansplaining earlier. It's pretty cool you should try it sometime because people really get riled up about you just talking to them about things that normal human beings have no issue with.
Anyone who uses the term "mansplaining" unironically is someone you probably don't want to spend too much time talking to.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Buy the 944.

A cheap early-2000s Merc? FUUUUUUCK no, son.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

See, as I understand it, the 5.4 V8 in the W210 is indestructible and easy to work on. Everything is overbuilt and it's a great car. But I've never owned one. Had an E39 540i which I guess is kind of comparable, loved that car but the engine was kind of needy maintenance-wise.
I'm probably being uncharitable, the W210 likely is fairly solid. But the Porsche is still the better toy and, well, I just don't like Mercs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

Are garage door openers strong enough to keep out thieves? If not, is there a kind of garage door opener that will also lock the door?
What kind of door?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, I'm having a roller door fitted following my break in. The door fitter said the only more secure option for "normal" garage doors is the heavy duty segmented type.

Up and over doors are all less than wonderful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I've just put my battery on charge and one of the smd LEDs in the aftermarket DRLs started emitting the smoke.

Hasty fuse pull.

That's not right!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I often think we British have a far better understanding of what "these colours don't run" really means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, my wisdom teeth are all running mad camber, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest and never has, so they can stay like that until it becomes a problem. Only difference is my dentists have always been inclined to leave well alone without instruction.

• Locked thread