Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

Picked up Brigg today

Most images thus far have just been black blurs though he's currently stretched out on the floor

Rename him Briggs, and get another dog named Stratton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

No, this is your punishment for having the sex:

Mid-engined, manual gearbox, optional AWD? I fail to see the problem :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All y'all people are crazy. Blackcurrant is obviously the superior fruit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got myself a proper waffle iron for Belgian waffles (proper Liège waffles, not the fakes you Americans eat) and made my first batch yesterday, based on this recipe which is 1) in French, 2) literally called "the best recipe", and 3) is rated 5/5 stars with 154 ratings.

And holy poo poo they're the best waffles I have ever had in my life. Everything else completely pales in comparison. I'm not loving around here. They are so. loving. Good. They're better than pancakes. Better. Than. Pancakes.

If you have a proper waffle iron (heavy = good), you owe it to yourself to try this recipe. Plus they freeze well, and you can reheat them in a toaster.

Oh yeah, and I cooked hashbrowns in the iron as well, that worked great. I'm waffling mashed potatoes tonight.

Waffles, man. loving waffles :swoon:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Link to proper waffle iron pls.

I had them in Belgium once. They're ridiculous. Two fingers thick. Yeast dough, if I'm not mistaken, with enough sugar so the outside caramelizes. An excellent way to spend 3000 calories.

This one: https://www.skousen.dk/koekkenudstyr/vaffeljern/product/cloer-cl1445-belgisk-vaffeljern/

Nice and heavy plates with awesome heat retention. The temperature adjustment could be better, but it works.

E: It is indeed a yeast dough, and to get the proper sugary goodness, you can't use Danish pearl sugar. It's simply the wrong kind. You need Swedish or Belgian pearl sugar, which is bigger and opaque white, you've probably seen it on top of the cinnamon buns they sell at Ikea.

You need this: http://www.bagetid.dk/sukkerkugler/3452-perlesukker-ekstra-stor-200-gram-8718531934900.html

In a pinch, you can crack sugar cubes into the appropriate size.

The sugar should be intact and not melted into the dough, that's how you get the crispy caramelized parts. Best. Breakfast. Ever.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm attempting to eat somewhat healthy these days and this isn't helping.

Waffles are worth it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont like waffles so... eh. No biggie.

PURGE THE HERETIC

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

In better news, my good friend and wrenching mentor just bought this. Sight Unseen. In Colorado. It's being delivered in Copenhagen in about a month:

He asked me to help him pick it up. I'm super loving stoked.

That's a beaut :swoon:

Can't wait to hear it blat around the backroads around here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8HdeHtOJs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had "Italian breakfast" today, at an Italian cafe in Aarhus.

Among other very tasty items, it had a morning pizza. Cheese-stuffed crust, an egg in the middle and covered with good quality ham. Holy poo poo, I was in heaven. And then I had the spinach+salsicca frittata :aaa: and the cocoa-covered mascarpone+digestive truffles :aaaaa:

In total, it was probably a >1,500-calorie breakfast, but it was SO. WORTH. IT.

I also had the best goddamn burger in my life yesterday. Considering the fact that I live in Copenhagen, which is probably the burger capital of northern Europe, having every single burger I have literally every tasted in my life bested by a relative inexpensive burger from a hole in the wall in Aarhus was mindblowing. And the parmesan+thyme fries were certainly a delight as well.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 17, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slothrop posted:

Thanks, now I'm starving and theres drool all over my keyboard

I bet you went and drank some To Øl or something equally good later.

We went to Highlanders Bar and had a nice chat and more than a few beers with Julian, the owner. Fun guy, great taste in beer :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buick would be completely dead if it wasn't for Opel. And since GM just sold off Opel, well...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Complete change of subject, because job talk and corporate bullshit always makes be depressed.

Slow cookers/crock-pots. Tell me about them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slothrop posted:

They're awesome. I like to throw a whole lamb shoulder in mine. Don't even bother putting anything else in, leave it on low overnight. Falling apart lamb.

I like to make curries in mine too, just throw everything in at the start of the day and come home to a nice vege curry.

If time is an issue, consider saute-ing everything first - more colour, more flavour and it gets everything up to temp quickly.

God-tier caramelised onions. Chop em, throw em in, come back 24hr later. I've done like 5kg of onion this way.

Get a big one, make sure it has a nice removable ceramic liner.

Mine's a Breville I think? It was given to me, I used to use it heaps until I got a sous vide set up.

Great, thanks for the tips. I have to try the lamb shoulder, is it OK to add it without any liquid at all? I've been told that there should be a minimum fluid level.

I hadn't even considered doing caramelized onions, but that's an amazing use, I love onions.

Would you recommend going straight to sous vide instead?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cakesmith handyman posted:

Depends on the food and what you want to happen to it, oily meat like lamb is fine.

No, they're totally different and do different things.

Ephphatha posted:

The minimum fluid level might be something specific to certain manufacturers. I've got an electric slow cooker with a heavy liner that happily runs with or without liquid. I've also got an electric pressure/slow cooker combo that I'd be real hesitant to run dry since it has a very thin liner and seems to aim for a pretty high heat in certain modes. They're also pretty versatile as slothrop points out, I've used mine for chilli, stew, roasts, and risotto so far.

Yeah, I guess the moisture and fat from the lamb itself is plenty, it's not like anything noticeable evaporates from the pot when the lid is on.

I figured you probably couldn't do the same stuff in a slow cooker as with sous vide, and vice versa. Caramelized onions sous vide would be rather silly :)

I'm going to look for a decent-sized slow cooker, around 6L or maybe a little bigger. Digital or analog? I guess it doesn't really matter much?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BraveUlysses posted:

the instant pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker

Yeah, I've been looking at that too. Sometimes you just want to power boil the poo poo out of something at above normal boiling temp.

Lots of great tips, thanks​ :) and I'm definitely bookmarking the GWS slow cooker thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well it's official, we're doing a quick courthouse wedding then a small (<25) dinner celebration instead of doing the whole crazy wedding thing. It just kept getting bigger every step of the way. Will save a lot of money and should be a lot less stressful.

You made the right choice.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

re:slow cooker chat from a few pages back.
Just prepped a duck leg meal for tomorrow.
Never tried it before - the recipe calls for 340g of goose fat :btroll:

e: I should point out it serves 2

That sounds decadently tasty.

Also RE: slow cooker chat I went and bought a 4.5L model with digital controls (and I checked that it allows all time settings on both high and low). And then I showed myself to be way too susceptible to impulse purchases, because I ordered a 6L pressure cooker too. Apparently you can make 1-hour pulled pork in one, and I have to try that. And it was on an irresistible sale, ~$75 for a Tefal Secure 5 Neo (whatever that's supposed to signify), which is currently ~$20 less than what the 4L model sells for.

My kitchen will become an arena for the showdown between low and slow in one corner, and FULL STEAM AHEAD in the other :v:

Either way, I'm gonna cook a hell of a lot of extremely tender meat.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gimpsuitjones posted:

I lost my smartphone in January last year and went back to a Nokia brick and extremely loved not having constant email/facebook/etc connectivity. Then my gf made me get another smartphone because she wanted me to have constant connectivity. Boo.

Turn off all notifications other than calls, text messages and whichever messaging apps you use.

Getting rid of the constant barrage of random Facebook and other app notifications helps with lessening the distracting nature of a smartphone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Since Nintendo is stopping production of the NES Classic Mini, and my order has been canceled, I had to find another belated birthday present for her.

What's this, a "Used Laser Disc" from Japan? What could it be?

Only her favorite movie ever, in a fancy-rear end Japanese cover!

I'm gonna get one of those frames for LP covers, it should fit nicely.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

You and your partner are cool people.

Option 3 is build a mini nes/every other console with a raspberry pi and retropie

It's for my sister, actually.

And she's currently borrowing my RetroPie box, because the NES Classic was delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I went to a friend's 40th birthday party this weekend. We were told to go to a specific location in the city (where most tourist busses drop off and pick up), to wait for a bus, and that "we would know it when we saw it".

This beautiful beast pulled up, and the driver started clearing out empty cans, broken plastic cups and other detritus from the bachelor party the bus had been hosting earlier that day. Instantly we knew that this was our bus :v:

Yes, that is a goddamn open rear deck on a ~35 year old Volvo bus, with a huge-rear end stereo and a disco ball (of course). The bus is cheerfully named "Boris Jeltsin", as an homage to his drunken escapades.

(That's a chute for dumping empty cans and bottles in a huge bin in the trunk. Because safety is among our priorities!)

The driver did ask us to not use the rear deck while on the motorway. I can't imagine why.

The stereo was pretty banging inside as well, which we made good use of to blast metal all the way through Copenhagen and on the motorway and back roads to my friend's place. We did get some rather quizzical looks on the way, and we pulled into his driveway just as Heathen Horde by Ensiferum transitioned into Painkiller by Judas Priest :rock:

Best. Bus. Ever.

I want to ride Boris Jeltsin everywhere I go now. Ordinary public transport feels so pedestrian now that I've experienced true greatness.

And of course the birthday was great too. My friend lives out in the middle of goddamn nowhere, so we just fired up the barbecues and turned Boris' stereo ALL the way up. It was awesome, but I feel like I need another weekend to recuperate after this one.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread