Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
therapy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It makes a lot of sense that you have no motivation to work given that your financial needs are being met. If your parents are happy to provide for you, and you have no career ambitions, then why work? The only thing I can think of is self esteem, and also being employed is a big boost in the dating world.

hot taek: if you're capable of work and you mooch off your parents you're scum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Why scum? If your parents can afford it and don't have qualms supporting you its a nice life without anyone being harmed? If I was a parent I would not unconditionally fund my kids into adulthood, because I think you do become a better person having some purpose in life and that usually comes from working (but it doesn't have to!)

because you're an absurd underdeveloped manchild and even if your parents can afford to fund your lifestyle they shouldn't feel obligated

even if it's voluntary it comes from a place of obligation

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ServoMST3K posted:

You can call me a scum bag, and you'd probably be correct, but there's a whole bunch of e/n stuff that explains why I'm depressed and have been unable or unwilling to care for myself over the past few years. Let's just say my drug addict sister ruined my self esteem when I was younger and then she had a few children that my mother and I have had to care for since they were born. It's not easy for me to have a rosy outlook and not be a manchild most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a scum bag. If you have issues that prevent you from working, I completely understand being dependent on family. It's what they're for. I just have issues when people elect to not work and rely on their parents to care for them the remainder of their life as if the parents don't have other things to do with their money and time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Not sure you are helping this guy with depression and self-esteem issues.

Yeah, probably not, so I'll drop it. Something about SHOAH NUFF's original post just rubbed me the wrong way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ServoMST3K posted:

I'm fine with all sorts of input in this thread. It's helpful to get different perspectives.

In other news the job I'm interviewing for/getting a tour of tomorrow says it has benefits on day 1, that seems like a good find. I'm trying to figure out how much money I'll make after taxes so I can figure out how much I can afford for an apartment. If I make 15/hour, that's 2400 a month pre tax. I'm in MA so I'm guessing conservatively that I'll have like 200 taken out for tax then maybe 30 more for social security per paycheck.

Should I err on caution and go for a cheaper apartment like 600 a moth plus utilities so I can save up for emergency funds and stuff as well? I would hang around for a while and save even more while living at home but I want to move out sooner rather than later once I can even remotely afford it.

This thing is decent and state specific:

https://www.adp.com/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-tools/payroll-calculators/hourly-paycheck-calculator.aspx

This is what you can expect:

Calculated at 04/05/2017 09:37:40
Gross Pay 1200.00
Federal 148.80
Fica 74.40
Medicare 17.40
State 56.52
Net Pay 902.88

Note that it does not account for any payments for benefits like health insurance.
Always keep your expenses as limited as you can especially if you don't have a cushion. I agree that it will be good to move out ASAP.

$600/mo plus utilities puts your rent at 33% of income which isn't too bad. You should make a budget, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 5, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Not saying to not work for a joint because it's family owned, but sometimes "family owned" covers up the most egregious working practices and sins in employee mismanagement. Usually with awful corporate jobs there are at least real standards in place that are comprehensible.

I am probably scarred by experiences working with car dealerships which tend to be "family owned" and universally awful to work at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

Family owned places aren't necessarily bad. Most places I've worked at have been family businesses and they were all fine. It's just that if the boss is a psycho you don't have HR to go to, because HR is the boss's wife. This is no big deal if you are flexible enough to just start looking for another job if the current one is unbearable.

As a hint, if you *do* feel like you need to walk in the future, try to get a new job first, because employers like to employ the employed. Tempting as it is to say "screw this job!" and walk out, it's better to be able to say "Thanks for the experience, boss, but I've got a new job starting on Monday so I guess this is good-bye."

More life advice: Even though you really want to get your own place straightaway, I think you'll find life with the family more bearable if you get to leave the house for work 8 hours a day.

Yeah to be clear I wasn't saying that family owned places are inherently bad, just that they're not inherently good, which the OP seemed to think.

ServoMST3K posted:

Well, I filled out paperwork for another temp agency yesterday. I haven't heard anything definitive yet on the other jobs, but everything has been in the 11-15 dollar an hour range which is what I was expecting. In the meantime I'm looking into a part time position helping at a horse barn near me on weekends. I'm pretty excited about that, cause if it works out then I can say I belong to the ranks of people who have more than one job!

Nice, looks like you're progressing very well. However, make sure you do not turn in to a horse person as then you will be impoverished and die alone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Make sure you are eating right, as someone mentioned, and that your sleeping schedule is consistent as you can make it. Otherwise, whenever I'm on anything new, even if it's just visiting a new job site that I've never been to before, I find that I get very tired and require a lot more sleep because my brain is trying to process a bunch of new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you work second I'd try to get up at a civilized time and do stuff before work. Good luck. Second is a bit tougher than you might think.

• Locked thread