Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a scum bag. If you have issues that prevent you from working, I completely understand being dependent on family. It's what they're for. I just have issues when people elect to not work and rely on their parents to care for them the remainder of their life as if the parents don't have other things to do with their money and time.

Not sure you are helping this guy with depression and self-esteem issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
You should probably not move out for at least a month after getting a job in order to save some money, and most especially in case you and the job are not a good fit and you get fired or quit.

Try not to plan too hard for jobs that you haven't had an offer for yet; you will probably have to do a fair few interviews before getting an offer and it's best to ensure you don't feel too crushed at the rejections.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Family owned places aren't necessarily bad. Most places I've worked at have been family businesses and they were all fine. It's just that if the boss is a psycho you don't have HR to go to, because HR is the boss's wife. This is no big deal if you are flexible enough to just start looking for another job if the current one is unbearable.

As a hint, if you *do* feel like you need to walk in the future, try to get a new job first, because employers like to employ the employed. Tempting as it is to say "screw this job!" and walk out, it's better to be able to say "Thanks for the experience, boss, but I've got a new job starting on Monday so I guess this is good-bye."

More life advice: Even though you really want to get your own place straightaway, I think you'll find life with the family more bearable if you get to leave the house for work 8 hours a day.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ServoMST3K posted:

I started work on Wednesday. It's going ok so far. They have me doing pretty menial repetitive stuff so far but I can handle it for now. There's other stuff I can be trained to do eventually that'll probably be more interesting. I was actually late for my 2nd day of work, so there's that.

Set your alarm clock earlier or you are going to get fired. This is one thing a lot of long-term unemployed people struggle with on finally getting a job, the following of seemingly petty rules like "9.03am is still late."

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ServoMST3K posted:

Yeah I learned my lesson. After two late punch ins I get a verbal warning. It technically wasn't my fault because there was a massive traffic jam due to an accident on the only highway I can take to get there, but I went much earlier anyway the next day.

Most commutes have major variation. So if it takes you on average 30 minutes to get there, but when traffic is bad it takes 50, you need to leave 50 minutes beforehand every day. Not just the day after you got yelled at - every day. This can be awkward if you can't start work early, but most bosses have zero patience for "there was traffic, sorry" especially if you are new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ServoMST3K posted:

Just to check in, things are going pretty well so far. I haven't been late again since my 2nd day, and I got my first paycheck on Thursday (even though it was only for three days)! It feels good to have a routine every day even though so far I've mainly been sleeping when not at work. Any tips for getting some extra energy so I can accomplish stuff during the day outside of work?

You are probably just having problems adjusting your body to being "always on" at work. Hopefully it should go away when working becomes "normal." If not, maybe bring it up at your next therapy appointment.

• Locked thread